Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Presidential Election Discussion Thread (read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Firblog wrote: »
    Really don't know why people are so annoyed at the DCC for doing this; sure Dana has her views that people don't like, the same can be said of most of the other candidates too. The only way they could've kept everyone on here happy is if they didn't back anyone. Not exactly being active democrats; exactly the inaction some people on here are now lamenting...

Don't know that anyone is suggesting they should not have nominated a candidate, I think the concern is that they went out of their way to nominate this particular candidate. A case could be made for any of the main candidates being presidential material, it's hard to make a case for a former winner of the 'Craggy Island Lovely Girls competition'. My point is simple, the coucillors sat down and agreed that Dana, in their opinion, should be President............wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ff gombeenism hasnt left the country yet, and judging by this it is rife in donegal;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

The council had committed to giving the nomination to Sean gallagher earlier in the year, but he rereleased them from that when he got four others; so there were then only two candidates that needed support from the council, Dana and Norris... Now given the choice between the winner of the lovely. Girl contest or some one who tries to get a pae** a lighter scentence I think the council picked the lesser of two evils

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

The council had committed to giving the nomination to Sean gallagher earlier in the year, but he rereleased them from that when he got four others; so there were then only two candidates that needed support from the council, Dana and Norris... Now given the choice between the winner of the lovely. Girl contest or some one who tries to get a pae** a lighter scentence I think the council picked the lesser of two evils

Not sure of that now when she said well more or less that it was better to have children in danger rather than priests breaking the confessional seal

Have never heard any reference to her saying that, surely it would have been highlighted prior to her getting nominated.

• Advertisement

On the late late last night she basically said she wouldn't compel Priests to break confession

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On the late late last night she basically said she wouldn't compel Priests to break confession
    Yup! And got very agitated when the question was put to her by retaliating with "why are you asking me this question instead of all the candidates" or words to that effect.

Well she's rightly fecked up whatever small chance she had of getting elected now; however the DCC made their call based on the information that was in the public domain at the time, easy to say they got it wrong if you believe that Norris and his advocating of paedo pederasty would have been the correct choice...

Well she's rightly fecked up whatever small chance she had of getting elected now; however the DCC made their call based on the information that was in the public domain at the time, easy to say they got it wrong if you believe that Norris and his advocating of paedo pederasty would have been the correct choice...
    I don't believe it has been said that Norris would have the correct choice. Also I don't think what she said should be a big surprise to anyone.

Well it was either Dana/Norris or nobody; make your mind up which was best... :confused:

• Advertisement

Well it was either Dana/Norris or nobody; make your mind up which was best... :confused:

Oh these difficult questions I will go for nobody

Don't know why your confused mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Is there a problem with the word STATUTORY? There seem to be a lot of people who either fail to recognise or understand it. Norris does not condone paedophilia. The boy in question was three weeks away from being 16 in a country where 16 is the age of consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Neady_b

annascott wrote: »
    Is there a problem with the word STATUTORY? There seem to be a lot of people who either fail to recognise or understand it. Norris does not condone paedophilia. The boy in question was three weeks away from being 16 in a country where 16 is the age of consent.

So that makes it right does it? Underage is still underage no matter how close they are to being not underage, you seem to fail to recognise or understand what the word underage means :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Neady_b wrote: »
    So that makes it right does it? Underage is still underage no matter how close they are to being not underage, you seem to fail to recognise or understand what the word underage means :rolleyes:

Since we all know that 3 weeks is when the kid fully matures!

All the presidential candidates seem to be crap, and I can't vote for them anyway.

Ive met Norris quite a few times and he's a well-spoken intelligent man who i'd be happy to see as president. the letters he wrote, is it any different from the ****e many td's do on behalf of their constituents? I know of elected representatives in donegal who have done very similar things because 'they're a good family'. in fact, i would put some of them as worse than trying asking for clemency for narwi.
    But he's gay, and protestant, and so knives are out wherever they can get them in. As such, any pertinent questions about ayatollah dana are swept under the carpet as 'ah sure wasnt she one of us back in 97 and <snip>
    i'd rather dcc have nominated him over that idiotic battleaxe. But seeing who is on dcc, i cant see im surprised. monkey see, monkey do, monkey nominate

retalivity wrote: »
    But he's gay, and protestant, and so knives are out wherever they can get them in.
    Yes that's it! It's obvious now that you say it, nothing at all to do with his actions...

Don't know why your confused mind you

Not confused lol, was just wondering who you would have preferred they pick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Considering Donegal voted in 2 Sinn Fein TDs in the last election, do you all think its a foregone conclusion that McGuinness will top the poll easily in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Fine Gael also have 2 TDs so I really think it comes down to the person and Donegal is very close to MMG's heart maybe Geography will play a more important role than party affiliations here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

cosanostra wrote: »
    Fine Gael also have 2 TDs so I really think it comes down to the person and Donegal is very close to MMG's heart maybe Geography will play a more important role than party affiliations here.

I didn't know that. Any idea why?
    No idea who I'm going to vote for, btw.

• Advertisement

Noreen1 wrote: »

He spends a lot of his free time here with his family I remember speaking to him just after the GFA came in and he was saying here was his haven away from the madness.
    A certain Mr G Adam's spends a lot of time here as well

Noreen1 wrote: »

Apart from his Mother being a Donegal woman and spending a lot of his childhood in Buncrana I think it became a place to get away from the trouble in Derry he also spent a lot of time on the run in Buncrana and he holidays in west Donegal

adams has a house outside gortahork which mcguinness uses a lot, i believe.
    How is the presidential election even broken down? Is it done on a consitituency/County/Province level? Its been so long since we had one I cant remember

retalivity wrote: »
    adams has a house outside gortahork which mcguinness uses a lot, i believe.
    How is the presidential election even broken down? Is it done on a consitituency/County/Province level? Its been so long since we had one I cant remember

Well obviously everyone is voting with the same ballot paper so it's nationwide but there will be 2 count centers in Donegal the same as the GE, Donegal SW and NE but there will be a nationwide quota last time it was around 635k with an electorate of around 2.7mil.
    You will vote using a PR type system but it will only come into effect when the lowest candidate(s) are eliminated obviously once someone exceeds the quota they win and the games over for the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'd say he will get plenty votes in Donegal.

Pearse would have been a mighty president. Maybe in the future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hume had a house in Donegal AFAIK too! Just a common thing at the time.

I'd say he'll win Donegal by a large distance, the others don't really have any identification with the county.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say he'll win Donegal by a large distance
    As mentioned, it doesn't matter how well anyone does in one locations, it is the overall national figures that count. The above statement is like saying a sports team won on the left hand side of the pitch - it is irrelevant if they lost by more on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Victor wrote: »
    As mentioned, it doesn't matter how well anyone does in one locations, it is the overall national figures that count. The above statement is like saying a sports team won on the left hand side of the pitch - it is irrelevant if they lost by more on the right side.

The OP is about Donegal and we are in the Donegal board. Overall election debate isn't allowed in the board, as it's strict on that as it's a political discussion.

Plenty of other places to discuss who'll actually win the overall election.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hello,
    ...the others don't really have any identification with the county.

I'd disagree with this. I believe your man Gallagher is from the Killygordon area. And wasn't Dana an MEP for this part of the country??

WM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

water-man wrote: »
    I believe your man Gallagher is from the Killygordon area. And wasn't Dana an MEP for this part of the country??
    Correct, well almost :).

Gallagher's father hailed from the "Cross" area, outside of Killygordon. And Dana did represent us or someone in the European Parliament.

Advertisement