Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Presidential Election Discussion Thread (read post 1)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Always thought he was from Louth or around there, thanks. I suppose Dana has a weak connection but when she ran for the General Election, she chose Galway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

water-man wrote: »
    Hello,

I'd disagree with this. I believe your man Gallagher is from the Killygordon area. And wasn't Dana an MEP for this part of the country??

WM

Even if she did represent Donegal before, she has no chance this time. So thats why she never entered into my mind when starting the thread.

And I know that its an all-Ireland election, but I am sure that the media will be able to tell us how well each candidate did in each county, and that's why I started the thread because I think MMG will do very well up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

NIMAN wrote: »
    Even if she did represent Donegal before, she has no chance this time. So thats why she never entered into my mind when starting the thread.

And I know that its an all-Ireland election, but I am sure that the media will be able to tell us how well each candidate did in each county, and that's why I started the thread because I think MMG will do very well up here.

It's not an all-Ireland election the election is in the Republic only and the President is the President of the Republic only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Lads an Lassies, merged some threads to make the one thread, because things were starting to go wayword in the McGuinness thread and please (as said in the first post) no nasty comments, and keep it on topic please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have seen other threads in the Donegal forum and indeed other forums on Boards.ie where people are looking for fortune tellers. What about our own homer_simpson?

Take a look at the date of the first post on this thread and you will clearly see that he had predicted as far back as last January that he would be merging threads about the presidential election. That is some talent to possess.

From here on I think I'll just call him nostrahomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

annascott wrote: »
    Is there a problem with the word STATUTORY? There seem to be a lot of people who either fail to recognise or understand it. Norris does not condone paedophilia. The boy in question was three weeks away from being 16 in a country where 16 is the age of consent.

In an interview with David Norris for the Magill Magazine in 2002 interviewer Helen Lucy Burke said that she “found some of his views on sexual matters deeply disturbing, notably on sex with minors.” During the course of the interview, David said that “in terms of classic paedophilia, as practised by the Greeks for example, where it is an older man introducing a younger man or boy to adult life, I think that there can be something to be said for it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Mitchell was in Donegal Town today, First one I've heard visiting the county (without a holiday home here of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    In an interview with David Norris for the Magill Magazine in 2002 interviewer Helen Lucy Burke said that she “found some of his views on sexual matters deeply disturbing, notably on sex with minors.” During the course of the interview, David said that “in terms of classic paedophilia, as practised by the Greeks for example, where it is an older man introducing a younger man or boy to adult life, I think that there can be something to be said for it.”

Alot of what he said in that interview was taken completely out of context. He's clarified all these issues again and again but folks won't seem to accept it so I doubt they ever will.

Gallagher is doing the rounds in Donegal and Martin McG is going to be giving a talk in the Clanree Hotel so I'm gonna pop along to that. Never been to proper talk like that before so will be interesting!

Think Gallagher might be doing a talk somewhere I'll check the paper again and see.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Alot of what he said in that interview was taken completely out of context. He's clarified all these issues again and again but folks won't seem to accept it so I doubt they ever will.

Gallagher is doing the rounds in Donegal and Martin McG is going to be giving a talk in the Clanree Hotel so I'm gonna pop along to that. Never been to proper talk like that before so will be interesting!

Think Gallagher might be doing a talk somewhere I'll check the paper again and see.

When it comes to the sexual abuse of children then the slightest whiff of it & im out... he doesnt get my vote.. he also fully backs Cathal Ó Searcaigh ..add to that the letter he wrote to try and get his friend off of a statutory rape charge... well thats 3 different things in my eyes hes done wrong when it comes to that topic.

I loook forward to seeing McGuiness in the Clanree as well!

When it comes to the sexual abuse of children then the slightest whiff of it & im out... he doesnt get my vote.. he also fully backs Cathal Ó Searcaigh ..add to that the letter he wrote to try and get his friend off of a statutory rape charge... well thats 3 different things in my eyes hes done wrong when it comes to that topic.

He does not approve of the sexual abuse of children, said that repeatedly.
    As for the Cathal thing it's the first I've heard....is it Cathal he supports or does he appreciates his poetry? Again could be taken out of context.
    The whole letter .....so long and complicated and I'm voting Martin anyway so doesn't really matter :pac:

Seeing as I've never been to one of these things, do folks dress fancy enough for these types of talks or can you go in runners, jeans and funny tshirt? :D

EDIT: It says in the paper Gallagher is doing Bundoran,Ballybofey then will be arriving in Letterkenny around 12:30 on Sat. No exact location but guess he gonna do the shopping centres? Then he will be moving onto other areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

As for the Cathal thing it's the first I've heard....is it Cathal he supports or does he appreciates his poetry? Again could be taken out of context.
    The whole letter .....so long and complicated and I'm voting Martin anyway so doesn't really matter :pac:

Seeing as I've never been to one of these things, do folks dress fancy enough for these types of talks or can you go in runners, jeans and funny tshirt? :D

EDIT: It says in the paper Gallagher is doing Bundoran,Ballybofey then will be arriving in Letterkenny around 12:30 on Sat. No exact location but guess he gonna do the shopping centres? Then he will be moving onto other areas

No you don't need to dress fancy this should give you an idea of what to expect!

Ahhh right! :D
    Well if there is gonna be videos and cameras I better at least attempt to look half human :pac:

One question......when the hell are we meant to be voting anyway?? :o

Its not the writing of the letters that bothers me but when the issue came up the first time he ran away to Cyprus until it had blown over, that's not the kind of President we need.

Sounds like the Clanree will be busy I better get there early so.

Ahhh right! :D
    Well if there is gonna be videos and cameras I better at least attempt to look half human :pac:

One question......when the hell are we meant to be voting anyway?? :o

27th and there is also 2 referendums on the same day there keeping very hush hush about that but!

cosanostra wrote: »
    27th and there is also 2 referendums on the same day there keeping very hush hush about that but!

What the hell are the referendums on? Never heard nothing about that!

No he defended O Searcaigh in the backlash after the "fairytale of Kathmandu" documentary - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002661/Why-defend-abuser-Senator-Film-maker-exposed-Cathal--Searcaigh-sex-tourist-asks-David-Norris-stand-boys-hurt.html it could be taken out of context of course but come on its quite a coincidence isnt it on these 3 seperate occasions he seems to have in some way condoned or defended Sexual relationships between Adults & minors.. not who i want for President anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys can I just remind you that this is not the politics forum so can we just stick with local issues please. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What the hell are the referendums on? Never heard nothing about that!

Judge's pay and extending Dail inquiry powers:

Referendum 2011 Ireland

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gay mitchell was in the abbey last night
    martin is in town tomorrow

as some said last night only 6 more to avoid :D

MMG's speech at the Clanree last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gallagher was in donegal town on saturday as well (managed to avoid him just)

Advertisement