Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good bike rack for my car :)

• 26-09-2011 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I got my MTB over the weekend ... a beautiful Lapierre 500 :) I got it home in the back of the Mrs Hyundai Tucson withbthe seats folded down which worked well, but I know I'll need a better way of transporting it around.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a good bike rack. It'll have to fit the Hyundai, and more importantly it'll have to protect and transport my new baby.

Any recommendations? Also, would it be better to get second hand or new?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I recently got a lend of one of these from another boardsie (thanks again!). Worked a treat to the extent that it's on my "to buy" list. Holds three bikes which may be overkill for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The Saris Bones 2 should do the job very nicely. I have the Bones 3 but it can't really take 3 bikes. It's robust and good for keeping the bikes apart so no stratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ive had bike racks, roof racks, lamb racks, but the best thing is the towbar mounted carrier. Doesnt damage the bike, and doesnt damage the car. Can be a lot more expensive if you need to get a tow bar aswell tho. Can carry 3 bikes safely.

9402.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

would you not pop it on the roof via the Tuscon's rails.
    must get something myself for the auld dolls jeep, my car has a boot spoiler so limits options. Anyone recommend anything in particular for the roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I have the Thule roofbars. If you use roofrackshop.com you can specify your car and they give you the parts list for the bars and feet etc. You can use one set of bars and change the feet when changing car. Your main problem will be lifting a mountain bike onto a jeep. It takes 2 hands and you must balance in the doorwell. That's why people are suggesting the towbar system. Bear in mind you can't use a 'grab' type bike fixing with a carbon frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Lemag wrote: »
    The Saris Bones 2 should do the job very nicely. I have the Bones 3 but it can't really take 3 bikes. It's robust and good for keeping the bikes apart so no stratches.

+1. Saris bones 3, mighty job.

+1. Saris bones 3, mighty job.
    Have you managed to fit 3 bikes on that though? I've only tried with 2 at most and it doesn't look like it could really take 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have the Thule 3 bike towbar fitted carrier. Solid as a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Have you managed to fit 3 bikes on that though? I've only tried with 2 at most and it doesn't look like it could really take 3.

I've used a Bones 3 with three bikes and there was no problem. What makes you think it won't work with three?

No I haven't, have no reason doubt it tbh. Why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 on the Saris - I have the Bones 2 and it works a treat

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

++ for the Saris bones: its very quick to mount / demount, and it folds up neatly. Had one for many years and quality is good, previous tubular racks have bent, bits gone missing and been generally a pain to fit and to store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I have the Hollywood Express rack as recommended by Khannie above. They are stocked by a lot of LBSs which means you can have a good look at them before purchase. The Saris Bones was top of my list, but I couldn't find a LBS which stocked it near me.

To be honest, I am delighted how well the Hollywood rack has worked, it has the strap things to keep the bikes apart and sets up quite easily.

One thing you will need no matter what rack you go for is a length of pipe insulating foam which you can pick up in a diy store for about €2. Very handy for wrapping around touching tubes, pedals, etc.

No I haven't, have no reason doubt it tbh. Why do you say that?
    Whilst the 2 road bikes appeared to fit on to it quite comfortably there didn't seem to be much room for a third road bike. Perhaps without the drop bars it might be easier to accommodate 3 bikes so it might work with 3 mtbs.

True that, I have had my wife's and my mountain bike on it. I just make sure that I put the wife's bike on first to keep the greatest weight close to the fulcrum of the hanger then my bike, the lightest next.

I'm sure it will take three mtbs but you'd want to take it handy on the roads I'd say.

Advertisement