Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most tedious sport to watch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Sooopie wrote: »
    their supports look well rough

My general description of them would probably have been something along the lines of moronic, middle-aged, man-children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Rugby League has its bright moments but overall its pretty dull and repetitive

League>Union

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

The one that you don't understand or can't follow - which probably explains why so many here is posting cricket, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gaelic football unless its a good team like Kerry or recently Dublin. Its a sport with little talent and more about how tall you are and if you can out muscle the other player. The players seem to be more interested in trying to show they are harder than the other players. Then when they are 20 yards in front of goal and try to kick a point it goes a mile wide. It was hilarious when the aussies battered them. They werent hard then :D

Real football has also become a drag to watch. It badly needs a lot of rule changes and new less conservative governance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cricket, Nascar,Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Bowls, Curling, Rugby League, Pool, Snooker, Drag Racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Formula 1. They have to chage the rules every single year to try and make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Corofin Banner

League>Union

fully agree with this, the majority of union is boring as hell;

kick, clap, lineout, scrum, re-set scrum, re-set scrum, penalty, kick, clap, repeat.

However, Formula 1 wins hands down as most tedious sport for me. All decided by how fast the car is and how good they are changing wheels.

may as well stand outside Advance Pit Stop for three hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Hootanany wrote: »
    Has to be snooker or bowls

Snooker? I think you meant tension not tedious :P

I can watch almost all sports but ones that go on for days where all the initial days have virtually no impact on the end result are pretty boring especially if the sports aren't exciting to watch themselves.

I always found darts impossible to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Warper wrote: »
    Cricket, Nascar,Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Bowls, Curling, Rugby League, Pool, Snooker, Drag Racing

now i don't mind a bit of nascar when its on for some reason

strangely hypnotic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Dotrel wrote: »
    My general description of them would probably have been something along the lines of moronic, middle-aged, man-children.

and they cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Tabnabs wrote: »
    There is nothing, NOTHING, more tedious than 90 minutes of football with a 0-0 result.

TBH, the interest levels only marginally increase when you introduce a goal or two. :o

Disagree. Some of the best games can end 0-0.

By contrast just because a game ends 3-3 doesn't mean it was a good game. All it means is there was 6 goals. A couple of crap goalies could ensure a result like that.

If all one wants from football is goals then go watch Match of the Day, though I think one would be missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

The worst 3 are in any order Rugby Golf Sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

fully agree with this, the majority of union is boring as hell;

kick, clap, lineout, scrum, re-set scrum, re-set scrum, penalty, kick, clap, repeat.
    Opposed to;

tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle, KICK......repeat ad infinitum.......

at least there are the unexpected bonus of turnovers in Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Formula 1 is just ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The most exciting thing in it, is when they change the tyresZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Rebuttal to the typical answers:

Snooker is a wonderful game, thus watching is a great experience.
    Bowls is beautifully peaceful on a Sunday.
    Curling is like bowls, but with the added hilarity of the people brushing.
    Cricket is great, but you kinda have to be drinking.

Baseball is (to me) relentlessly boring to watch, despite the fact that I quite like the game, especially to play.

American Football is beyond tedious. As much as I dislike watching rugby, at least it doesn't stop every five seconds. That said, the strategy of American Football is great, thus Madden is great.

Nascar, puh-leeeeeeez.

No. 1 in boredom has to be ten-pin bowling though. At a high standard, it's pretty much just strikes. Hoo-raaaaaaaay :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tennis. Watching a ball go back and forward across a net over and over and over and over... And because there's no set time limit the feckin' thing can go on for ever. It's even worse than rugby, which is some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Corofin Banner

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Opposed to;

tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle, tackle, KICK......repeat ad infinitum.......

at least there are the unexpected bonus of turnovers in Union.

but rarely any open running or tries. or play of any kind for that matter1 the ball is in play for less than 25 mins of a game of union, compared to over 50 in league.

i used to play both codes, love playing union but hate watching it. No tries (look at Ireland v Aus, or the last world cup final) in big games. the last tries to be scored in a union world cup final were both scored by league converts.

still better than F1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Celebrity Deathmatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

But driving a car cannot be a sport like riding a horse and whipping it really hard for it to win is not a sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Rugby can be pure excitement its a great game to watch.

Chess, yet loads watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

squash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Haven't read all of this tbh, but I'm pretty sure rowing hasn't been mentioned, that has to be extremely awful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

positron wrote: »
    The one that you don't understand or can't follow - which probably explains why so many here is posting cricket, imho.
    Yep, when I saw the title, I knew that there would be a few Cricket mentions. I can sort-of understand why, especially when it comes to Test Cricket, which can last up to five days per match. If you sit there and try and watch a whole match attentively, of course you're going to go nuts: but remember its origins as a village social activity, as well as a semi-competitive sport.

Picture a fine summer day, the men on the field or chilling on the sidelines, the ladies having a natter with their knitting, the kids playing in the trees. The occasional crack of leather on willow ... it won't be exciting all day, but there will be some moments, a bit of applause, and everyone goes back to what they were doing. Then after the game: pints. A lot of them, especially in Yorkshire. :cool:

My vote? Polo. A lot of mucking around on horses. Water polo is better, as long as none of the horses drown.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rugby is very tedious. We've been told that the real world cup starts with the quarter finals. So the tries dry up and every match is decided by penalties?

Women's Golf? No thanks. Why don't you ladies take up a proper sport?

F1? Same thing, lap after lap.

Rugby League is woeful, too. You make 90 yds down the field but you have to punt the ball away because it's the 6th tackle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Competitive OXO cube snorting

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

shoe laceing

Presidential races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

the lion king.

Sh!t wrong forum

the most unusual writing competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i would say golf, or snooker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Golf is not a televisual sport. Simple as.

All you see is camera 1 showing the swing and camera 2 showing the ball in the air and landing. You don't get any idea of how the ball was hit through the air.

This is how you cover golf...the technology is there but they don't utilise it enough unfortunately.

At 1.10 you see Tiger Woods hit a tee shot with conventional coverage. Followed by the protracer version. Better. :-)

Oh and the most boring to watch is Football, like watching glorified 5-a-side.

rocking chairing

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Most American sports bar Basketball are fairly tedious - even at the games. That includes "grid iron", baseball, nascar.

F1 is only interesting for the first turn.

However, Eurosport pick up some serious ****é and one Saturday they had Nordic skiing on.

It took the fricking biscuit.

There my vote goes to Nordic Skiing.

but rarely any open running or tries. or play of any kind for that matter1 the ball is in play for less than 25 mins of a game of union, compared to over 50 in league.

i used to play both codes, love playing union but hate watching it. No tries (look at Ireland v Aus, or the last world cup final) in big games. the last tries to be scored in a union world cup final were both scored by league converts
    But I'd argue that the open running is what makes it boring - because that's all there is, running without risk. If I wanted to see grown men run I'd bore myself instead by watching a marathon.

Tries don't necessarily make a game exciting - was Ireland Vs Russia any better than Ireland Vs Aus because there were 11 tries scored?

foxyboxer wrote: »
    At 1.10 you see Tiger Woods hit a tee shot with conventional coverage. Followed by the protracer version. Which is better?

Watching paint dry?

Oh and the most boring to watch is Football, like watching glorified 5-a-side.

Last time i checked 5 a side was football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They're all tedious to watch. I don't see the point in watching other people playing games.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Watching paint dry?

Did you watch the protracer after it. Do you agree it's better than the usual coverage?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Last time i checked 5 a side was football

:confused:

Yes, Football. Association Football. As in not Soccer.

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Did you watch the protracer after it. Do you agree it's better than the usual coverage?

Yes. But I'd still rather watch paint dry. Or grass growing. Or glass dripping.

rick astlying

Diving another one

face kicking

extreme stair falling

falling up the stairs-ing

• Advertisement

Tiddlywinks

rick astlying
    never gonna give that up

Women's darts/snooker - why the gender separation? There isn't the physicality present which excludes women from competing alongside men in other sports.

Plus sexy lady bending over table in tight trousers, with long pole in hand would turn boring sport into GREATEST SPORT EVER!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find boxing very tedious lately. Its probably the only sport where both competitors come out winners. Nobody gives a toss about the belts anymore, its all about getting paid. Im all for them getting paid but it doesnt make it very interesting to watch considering it doesnt actually matter if somebody loses in big fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Love all sports but can't watch cricket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Darts is a phenomenal game to watch on TV. Fat men throwing pointy things at a board while an increasingly drunk crowd hurl abuse. Great commentary from Sid, quick games, and plenty of close finishes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement