Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most tedious sport to watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

cricket n american football n Motorcar racing can be boring too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Every sport is tedious to watch until you give a sh*t about the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Baseball. You could have a 1 hr nap in the middle of a game and not miss a single thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Has to be One Man and His Dog!

I'm no animal expert now but sheep are dumb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Morlar wrote: »
    Baseball. You could have a 1 hr nap in the middle of a game and not miss a single thing.

Agree with baseball. Went to watch the Yankees play a few years ago when we were there on a school tour. Got to the stage were we were entertaining ourselves by trying to pick some distant landmarks out and then just mindlessly wandering about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I've found with baseball that you have to immerse yourself in the history of the game and take in the importance of the statistics before you can get the most out of it. I think if you just turned up at a game cold (especially a live game) then it could be very boring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

nummnutts wrote: »
    Another nomination for rugby here. Boring as fook.

Cricket on the other hand.......... :D

Yep, Rugby for me too. In fairness, any game where one of its objects is to kick the ball off the pitch must be pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rugby League for me. Remember playing Red Rover when you were a kid and you had to burst through a line of your mates? This is basically the same thing, but with a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Tractor pulling - Ze germans love it!!!

Actually most of the stuff eurosport show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Formula one......driving 60 times around the same track...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Tennis. I can understand why people like golf; It gets pretty exciting on the last few holes of a major. I know why people like F1; it's fast. I know why people like cricket; they have time to kill. But tennis? Where's the fun or excitement in two people hitting a ball back and forth for hours on end with no discernible strategy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I think the most tedious sports to watch are Scottish sports such as curling (nothing more than marbles on ice played by people who, bizarrely, love sweeping up during matches), golf and the SPL.

My favourite sports are football, cricket and Rugby League, a man's Northern English game, unlike that poncy and posh southern English game of Rugby Union played by fairies in which play stops for two minutes every 30 seconds - there is more continuous gameplay in Rugby League than there is in football - and in which there are so many rules that any person, at the most, only knows about 25% of them. Give me Wigan Warriors VS Leeds Rhinos or Salford City Reds VS Bradford Bulls over Worcester VS Gloucester or Bath VS Exeter any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

tolosenc wrote: »
    GAA and Hurling for me. Whack the ball 50m and hope one of your lads catches it, then pass inside, then whack it towards the goal posts and hope for the best. There is so little to ever be impressed by.

hurling, boring???:rolleyes:
    Hurling is no where near boring. you obvisously dont appreciate the skill involved in hurling my friend.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Out of an eighty minute match the ball is in play for about 45 minutes. You fight like tigers to win the ball from a ruck, then you kick it straight back to the opposition. No forward passes, except when running with the ball.

And the non-stop commentary from the ref? WTF? If he's committing an infraction give a penalty; if he isn't don't. Either way, STFU.

Rugby League is superior to Rugby Union and I'm surprised that, in the British Isles, it's only really played professionally, and followed, in Northern England. For a start, there are much less rules to have to follow in Rugby League. Or, at least, it just seems like it.

Each attacking team is given six tackles. If a team is in possession and they get tackled six times then they must hand possession over to the other team. However, if the ball is kicked and a member of the team which kicked the ball manages to get in possession of it then the team is given another six tackles. So, usually, after the fifth tackle, the team in possession boots the ball down field - closer to the opponents' tryline - and then tries to get possession of the ball again so that they have another six tackles much closer to the opposition try line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Zaph wrote: »
    Tennis. Watching a ball go back and forward across a net over and over and over and over... And because there's no set time limit the feckin' thing can go on for ever. It's even worse than rugby, which is some feat.

Can't believe it took this post, the 67th, to mention Tennis. Good God almighty but it is shocking. Next to it is F1. Really hate it.

Strange that I can sit and watch Golf, American Football and Baseball no bother! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Bowls is dreadful sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not a fan of test cricket, partial to some 20/20 though!
    Could watch most sport though, except rugby league. Can't stand rugby league.
    They should take out all the wrestling/grapling crap. I do like the UFC, but all that rolling around on the floor is just gay!*

* Obviously, i wouldn't say that to their faces, but from the safety of my keyboard -stand up and fight like men, bitches!:D

Then go watch kickboxing.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Batsy wrote: »
    Rugby League....

Each attacking team is given six tackles. If a team is in possession and they get tackled six times then they must hand possession over to the other team. However, if the ball is kicked and a member of the team which kicked the ball manages to get in possession of it then the team is given another six tackles. So, usually, after the fifth tackle, the team in possession boots the ball down field - closer to the opponents' tryline - and then tries to get possession of the ball again so that they have another six tackles much closer to the opposition try line.

Why that doesn't sound tedious at all, at all!

Why that doesn't sound tedious at all, at all!

Maybe you should try watching a Rugby League match. I've watched both codes and find League much better. You will find the same if you watch a League match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Batsy wrote: »
    Maybe you should try watching a Rugby League match. I've watched both codes and find League much better. You will find the same if you watch a League match.

League and Union are equally tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

That one with the ice and the sweeping brushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I would reckon most people saying Rugby don't actually understand the sport tbh....

For me its Basketball, bounce bounce, pass, bounce, run, throw into bucket. zzzzzz...zzz..zzz

Laisurg wrote: »
    That one with the ice and the sweeping brushes.

That's curling. Britain won a gold medal in it at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Rhona Martin and her team received a heroes' welcome when they returned home. The newspapers started saying that curling will overtake football as the country's national sport, but it didn't (and they said that cricket will overtake football after the England [and Wales] cricket team won the Ashes in 2005 for the first time since 1987). Although it's a mainly British sport so it wasn't difficult to win a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Cricket - I mean ffs england were playing Australia for the whole summer. You could have went on a 3 week holiday, come back and the game was still fckn on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Iron Hide wrote: »
    I would reckon most people saying Rugby don't actually understand the sport tbh....

For me its Basketball, bounce bounce, pass, bounce, run, throw into bucket. zzzzzz...zzz..zzz

^^ ironic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

4leto wrote: »

Someone posted cycling and track cycling they're my favourite Olympic events, so it really is horses for courses.

You mean Dressage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

baz2009 wrote: »
    Not a fan of test cricket, partial to some 20/20 though!
    Could watch most sport though, except rugby league. Can't stand rugby league.

I spent nearly 2 decades out in South Africa. There, it was ( pre 1994 days especially) 6 months rugby, and 6 months cricket. Then Mandela was freed and well, the rest we all know. But, in those 6 months of rugby, I couldn't understand the Afrikaans commentary ( remember rugby was played predominantly by the Dutchmen).

The other 6 months was cricket. I hated cricket until I went there, where at least they had mostly English commentary, as, yeah You guessed right, it was the sport of the English speaking community. Anyhow, I got into the cricket, and can honestly say that it is a fantastic sport once You get the hang of it. Believe me, I had no choice. But, ask a cricket lover, and he will condemn this 20/20 nonsense, and may even knock the 50 over format also. No, there is nothing like TEST cricket. Sure, isn't that exactly what the Irish are next aiming for...Test Status. Hope they get the deserved recognition soon.

Apologies if my message became boring, I am just trying to justify the praise of Test Cricket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I spent nearly 2 decades out in South Africa. There, it was ( pre 1994 days especially) 6 months rugby, and 6 months cricket. Then Mandela was freed and well, the rest we all know. But, in those 6 months of rugby, I couldn't understand the Afrikaans commentary ( remember rugby was played predominantly by the Dutchmen).

The other 6 months was cricket. I hated cricket until I went there, where at least they had mostly English commentary, as, yeah You guessed right, it was the sport of the English speaking community. Anyhow, I got into the cricket, and can honestly say that it is a fantastic sport once You get the hang of it. Believe me, I had no choice. But, ask a cricket lover, and he will condemn this 20/20 nonsense, and may even knock the 50 over format also. No, there is nothing like TEST cricket. Sure, isn't that exactly what the Irish are next aiming for...Test Status. Hope they get the deserved recognition soon.

Apologies if my message became boring, I am just trying to justify the praise of Test Cricket.

You did a shíte job of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Golf

The commentators talk about the weather, cloud cover, wind direction, grass length, local flora and fauna, their breakfast, how comfy their shoes are, what old folks home they currently occupy and occasionally the game.

It's not a sport btw, it's a game. You can smoke while playing a game.

I don't just find golf tedious, I hate it. Notice I'm using the word 'hate' here, about golf! :D (Jack Nicholson) <
    sounds like a golfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Golf

The commentators talk about the weather, cloud cover, wind direction, grass length, local flora and fauna, their breakfast, how comfy their shoes are, what old folks home they currently occupy and occasionally the game.

It's not a sport btw, it's a game. You can smoke while playing a game.

I don't just find golf tedious, I hate it. Notice I'm using the word 'hate' here, about golf! :D (Jack Nicholson) <
    sounds like a golfer

:D

Yes, i can never change the channel quick enough when I see golf on. I look at the goons all standing around and think c'mon, what is wrong with you? :D

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Post a while back reminded me of dressage.

I understand why asking a horse to trot on the spot (piaffe) is difficult, and I can appreciate the hard work that riders put into their horses, I just think it's the most tedious thing in the world to watch.

I mean you're sitting on this half tonne of energetic, hotblooded equestrian muscle and speed, and you just want to make it mince about a tiny sand school? These horses tend to be treated rather poorly (imo) as well, usually by somewhat over-protective owners who are always on edge about injuries and spoiling, and rarely allow their horses behave like regular horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

They should take out all the wrestling/grapling crap. I do like the UFC, but all that rolling around on the floor is just gay!*

* Obviously, i wouldn't say that to their faces, but from the safety of my keyboard -stand up and fight like men, bitches!:D

If you don't want to watch grappling then stick to boxing. Mixed Martial Arts obviously isn't for you. Grappling is by far the most technical and skilfull aspect of fighting. Ever seen UFC 1? A skinny Brazilian guy submitting boxers and karate guys twice his size - amazing.

For me the most boring sport would have to be golf. Loads of fun to play but watching it is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Golf
    Horse Racing
    Cricket
    Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yes, i can never change the channel quick enough when I see golf on. I look at the goons all standing around and think c'mon, what is wrong with you? :D

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Golf is the best sport on earth. You can play it from 2 to infinity and still enjoy it. I could watch it all day too. I shall be watching The Masters in pure bliss tonight and tomorrow. I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't appreciate it.

Soccer is ruined now its full of diving pre-madonna's

Horse racing is the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd watch any sport. Even if they televised tiddlywinks I'd find an interest in it.

Right now i'm watching The Boat Race, already watched some track cycling today, later I'm watching the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

later12 wrote: »
    Post a while back reminded me of dressage.

I understand why asking a horse to trot on the spot (piaffe) is difficult, and I can appreciate the hard work that riders put into their horses, I just think it's the most tedious thing in the world to watch.

I mean you're sitting on this half tonne of energetic, hotblooded equestrian muscle and speed, and you just want to make it mince about a tiny sand school? These horses tend to be treated rather poorly (imo) as well, usually by somewhat over-protective owners who are always on edge about injuries and spoiling, and rarely allow their horses behave like regular horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFIJu-W38c

Dressage Horse humour. Very funny ad. :D

woodoo wrote: »
    Golf is the best sport on earth. You can play it from 2 to infinity and still enjoy it. I could watch it all day too. I shall be watching The Masters in pure bliss tonight and tomorrow. I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't appreciate it.

Soccer is ruined now its full of diving pre-madonna's

Horse racing is the worst

In fairness, as for playing it, I think its a good walk spolit (maybe thats because I'm sh!te at it), but as for the majors, the ryder cup, etc, i'd watch it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

American Football... with all the breaks for downs and then breaks for four quarters... The action could be fully covered in about five minutes of camera time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

irish-stew wrote: »
    but as for the majors, the ryder cup, etc, i'd watch it all day.

I can't understand why there is so little coverage of the masters early on. Half the players were finished by the time Sky started really showing the golf yesterday.

It must be the american channels coverage of it.. serious improvement needed. If sky could send over their own cameras they would do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Soccer. Don't mind watching any other sport but I hate soccer with a passion.

woodoo wrote: »
    I can't understand why there is so little coverage of the masters early on. Half the players were finished by the time Sky started really showing the golf yesterday.

It must be the american channels coverage of it.. serious improvement needed. If sky could send over their own cameras they would do it properly.

Looking at the Masters website, even the main american coverage does not start untill the evening. Selected holes, and 'Amen Corner' are available on their website during the day to US viewers. I think the Red Button on the BBC offer similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Has to be Hurling or Cricket. Both aren't that exciting from what I have seen.

You've got to be joking hurling is the fastest field game on the planet, games can swing on a puc of a ball right up to the closing seconds. If you never watched it before give the Tipp, Kilkenny finals from 09 and 10 a view, I guarantee you'll find that they were anything but boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

watching your mother playing table tennis with her snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Soccer- The amount of diving and players looking around for the ref instead of getting back into the game has ruined it for me.

Watched American football once, ad breaks every 10 minutes totally ruined the flow of the game.

Can't understand why people watch horse racing unless you have money on the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

All of them...bar rugby....drools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cycling, unless they all fall over in a big pile.
    A lot of winter sports make for great tv, ice jockeys, biathlon, ski jumping, downhill slalum, bob sleigh are all great crack and its a just a bonus when they snot themselves or in the case of hockey start scrapping

TBH, The Boat Race is now getting tedious. Stopped and delayed now for over 10 minutes due to a protester/swimmer in the water. Waiting for the restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

irish-stew wrote: »
    TBH, The Boat Race is now getting tedious. Stopped and delayed now for over 10 minutes due to a protester/swimmer in the water. Waiting for the restart.

All the drama actually made it exciting for once! Usually its tedious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Don't mock the sport unless you've done it! I rowed for Muckross RC for 8 years and if that happened to me I'd be raging. Shocking what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'd hazzard a guess that a lot of the negative sports posters here are couch spuds.They don't appreciate sport because they haven't participated properly.I'll take a grilling if I'm wrong...

• Advertisement
Advertisement