Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most tedious sport to watch

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched American football once, ad breaks every 10 minutes totally ruined the flow of the game.
    American Football... with all the breaks for downs and then breaks for four quarters... The action could be fully covered in about five minutes of camera time..

Tactics and strategy,
    Every single play was designed and the aim is to outfox your oppononts.
    It's a lot more complicated then rugby, it's not for everyone
    Morlar wrote: »
    Baseball. You could have a 1 hr nap in the middle of a game and not miss a single thing.

Eighty percent of the game is defense as they say

Give it another chance, opening day was last Thursday
    New season, there are games on every evening :)

woodoo wrote: »

Soccer is ruined now its full of diving pre-madonna's

Just fyi it's prima donna (Italian for "first lady") not pre-madonna, and yes, soccer is ruined by them. Have to admire Messi though he's not one for the diving:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    All the drama actually made it exciting for once! Usually its tedious

Once it restarted.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Just fyi it's prima donna (Italian for "first lady") not pre-madonna, and yes, soccer is ruined by them. Have to admire Messi though he's not one for the diving

He dived last Tuesday against AC Milan!!! Got a penalty and a goal for it! Something that needs to be stamped out of football big time. Pretty much every manager agrees to this... but none of their players dive of course:rolleyes:

Edit: I forgot to add that despite this, Lionel Messi is one of the greatest footballers the world will ever see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Cricket has to be mentioned, but I am told if you get into it it really is good.

Baseball which is on the same vein as cricket.

Grandprix and any motor racing sport, I just don't get it.

But the worse to watch is a boring soccer game, it really can be dreadful and hope that it will get better keeps you watching, which is ironic because one of the best sports to watch can also be a soccer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I cannot think of a sport I would describe as tedious.

Maybe American Football, which is just too stop start for my liking. Any friends I know who have moved to the US are all fans though so maybe it just takes some effort to get into.

Football (soccer) can be a very frustrating game to watch, diving, feigning injury, constant moaning of players and coaches. But a goood game of football can be immense.

Cricket and golf are immense. Hurling best sport of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

woodoo wrote: »
    I can't understand why there is so little coverage of the masters early on. Half the players were finished by the time Sky started really showing the golf yesterday.

It must be the american channels coverage of it.. serious improvement needed. If sky could send over their own cameras they would do it properly.
    The networks are forbidden to show golf before 8 or 8 30 by the Masters committee members, who are notoriously strict when it comes to televising the tournament. They are also way tighter on the number of ads that can be shown, so take the good with the bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The networks are forbidden to show golf before 8 or 8 30 by the Masters committee members, who are notoriously strict when it comes to televising the tournament. They are also way tighter on the number of ads that can be shown, so take the good with the bad!
    That's full coverage I mean, obviously there are selected holes and groups televised before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rugby is maybe not the most tedious sport but without question the most overrated sport in this country.

People bang on about how much Ireland have achieved, but yet Wales have won more Grand Slams in last 7 years then Ireland whole history.

If I got a Euro for everytime a rugby person said "brave" "passion" "give it their all" in sentence I be millionaire by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

foot ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Soccer. Makes the ironing seem appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did anyone say "all of them" yet?

can't be arsed to read 18 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Being a sports journalist I'd have a general interest in all sport, but I must say of all the popular sports in this country, the one I find the hardest to have any interest at all in is rugby. I'd echo The Kew Tour's sentiment in that it is over-rated, and as I never really watched it growing up, it just hasn't caught my imagination like other sports have. Not saying it's tedious as a whole, but I DO find it boring to watch.

Anyone who thinks golf is tedious should tune into the final round of a tournament on a Sunday night. Since the start of the year every final round has been absolutely gripping stuff and has totally outshone the "Super Sunday" soccer that Sky peddles out and promotes to the death on a Sunday afternoon. As it stands, golf is the most competitive sport in the world, and the Masters will enhance that belief come Sunday night.

Of all the American sports, I was least receptive of baseball. But having read Moneyball over Christmas I have learned so much more about the game that I vow to follow it this season.

So yeah, to answer the question, I find rugby the most tedious (well boring) sport to watch.

Of all the American sports, I was least receptive of baseball. But having read Moneyball over Christmas I have learned so much more about the game that I vow to follow it this season.

There are games on right now, Nationals are in Wrigley Field

Go Cubs :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As said before cricket is boring if your not a fan, but i turned on ESPN one night and they were showing 3 cushion billiards, a pool table with no pockets and 2 geeks standing there working out angles like its a maths class, fooks sake 5 mins of that tripe and your ready for bed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There are games on right now, Nationals are in Wrigley Field

Go Cubs :cool:

Let's hope the curse of the Billy Goat is broken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I used to think Cricket was boring until I gave it a chance in 2005 with the Ashes series.

Brilliant entertainment and the opposite of what I used to think.

Then they switched it completely to Sky and I haven't watched it properly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As said before cricket is boring if your not a fan, but i turned on ESPN one night and they were showing 3 cushion billiards, a pool table with no pockets and 2 geeks standing there working out angles like its a maths class, fooks sake 5 mins of that tripe and your ready for bed!!!

You made me laugh there, spot on. I turned on this tripe myself by mistake before, what a load of shite. Not a sport, its a very boring game you'd have to be pissed or in a coma to even consider watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

keano_afc wrote: »
    You made me laugh there, spot on. I turned on this tripe myself by mistake before, what a load of shite. Not a sport, its a very boring game you'd have to be pissed or in a coma to even consider watching.

Yeah its like chess with sticks alright!:D

Curling

They send the [puck?] down the ice and then the team are sweeping and scraping the ice

Ok I'm probably going to get quoted and corrected but I didn't go to wikipedia to double check the terms and rules

Just looks daft to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I think boules is the name of a French game that is played in a lot of other European countries these days. Every now and then someone picks up a steel ball about the size of an orange and throws it in among the others in the ground ... :confused::confused:

Beyond boring!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Cricket is fantastic to watch. Not many things better than a good test match in the sun, or a close run chase.

Golf would be my choice for most tedious. Or football.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its quite subjective really isn't it? One mans passion is another man's snoozefest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

1) Golf
    2) Cricket
    3) Darts-if it can be called a sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Curling

They send the [puck?] down the ice and then the team are sweeping and scraping the ice

Ok I'm probably going to get quoted and corrected but I didn't go to wikipedia to double check the terms and rules

Just looks daft to me

I used to think the same thing until I turned it on by accident late one night during the winter olympics either 6 or 10 years ago, the great british women team were in the final, found it absolutly gripping viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Pretty much any sport is enthraling once you understand the intricacies of the individual sport.

With regards to Formula 1 and Motorsport, its the marrying of sport and technology, coupled with brilliant politics. What makes F1 fascinating is the behind the scenes going ons couple with the build up of tension on the track which hopefully culminates in spectacular racing.

F1 is quite similar to football is so far as the build up of tension in a race/match is the most exciting aspect of the sport.

People may not understand the sport, but people who deride a sport purely because they don't get it are clowns of the highest order. Pretty much everything in life can be trivialised and mocked. Do you see me mocking your hobbies and interests? No? Then fúck off and let me enjoy mine if you don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I can watch most sports from golf to darts, snooker, tennis, rugby and I've even watched indoor bowls. But I cannot stand:

GAA (either football or hurling)

Soccer

Horse racing

Never liked them, never will.

I don't like seeing the horses getting killed in the Grand National every year :(

Now that's the sport and I'll never ever go protesting like some do but is there realy a need to have the fences so high?
    Tradition they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I don't like seeing the horses getting killed in the Grand National every year :(

Now that's the sport and I'll never ever go protesting like some do but is there realy a need to have the fences so high?
    Tradition they say

The Aintree fences have been modified greatly over the years. Horses still get killed now and then, it's more to do with speed than the height of the fences. In fact, it's more likely that a horse will get killed from jumping a smaller fence too quickly than a bigger fence too slowly.

A horse can break its leg from just galloping in a field. It's a fact of life. The vast majority of racehorses are treated very well, unlike most of the ones we see in the fields next to housing estates these days. Given the choice, I'd far prefer to be a thoroughbred racehorse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Any sport where you have a break for "tea" isn't a sport, so Cricket **** off. Awful ****e in your white daz cardigans. I couldnt give a crap if Ireland beat England last year, its still rubbish.

Also, any sport you practice in a pub, isn't a sport. So **** off darts, with your beer-swilling mullet-wearing "athletes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just watched the film earlier today. I hadn't a clue of any of the terms really. I found myself having to go to Wikipedia during it to check up what they were talking about.

I may give the book a go. I read "The Blind Side" a few years ago and I found it brilliant. I learnt so much about American football from the couple of chapters in it. They show so much baseball on ESPN that it'd be a shame for me not to know more about it :p. Yet another sport for me to get interested in.

I find very few sports dull. Even the worst of them like bowls can occasionally be quite good. If I had to say one then I'd probably mention cricket. I don't know enough about it to make it anyway interesting. If I bothered to sit down and learn what the terms were then I'm sure I'd possibly grow to like it.

I don't know how anyone could say golf is boring. Turn on the Masters tomorrow and you will see some of the most talented people in the world play on the best course in the world. Phil Mickelson was a joy to watch tonight. He carved up the back nine in Augusta. 6-under through those final 9 holes. Absolutely outstanding golf. If he goes on to win it then I'm sure they'll be mentioned up there with some of the best moments in sport. He took one of the hardest courses apart and played with an ease that is very, very rare. Oh and he is also 41, an age at which he would be retired and commentating in almost every other sport around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I could never get into the game of rugby in any meaningful way. It is the only game I would willingly avoid

Any sport can be appreciated when played by top class participants playing at the peak of their powers.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Has anyone said football (soccer) yet.

It's basically man ballet

Sounds like a line out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Man ballet on speed on grass. Brilliant !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement