Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women Drivers are proven to be more dangerous...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Someone should inform the RSA, and Irish insurance companies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not trying to be sexist - and sexist comments (IMO this goes without saying) are not welcome...

But really??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2012188/Women-drivers-ARE-dangerous-wheel-scientists-discover.html

Mentioned this in work today and the amount of women who said they couldn't parallel park really surprised me...

What do boardsies think?
    Did you even read the article you posted? The article doesn't back up the headline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Can't see it being adopted as general wisdom. And I'm not commenting on the validity of the data either way, any good statistician can make figures dance any way he wants.
    For one, it goes against all mantras that have been drilled into peoples heads for years. He drives, she dies, they can't go back on that. An entire road safety campaign has been built on the "fact" that all blokes are raving lunatics that will crash into a creche in a burning car at 150 mp/h whilst doing donuts.
    The PC brigade will be up in arms against this.
    If insurance companies really did load womens premiums, this would go to the European court.
    Actually, a ruling was recently made against gender discrimination, so it's a non-starter anyway.
    So, they'll just load all our premiums under the usual flimsy pretense, because they took a bath with their investments, so, like the banks and government, they need to be bailed out.
    So not expecting to see much come from this. Except the usual flame wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Any article from a tabloid like the mail is normally pure and utter sh1te imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Any article from a tabloid like the mail is normally pure and utter sh1te imo.

That's what I should have posted!
    You sir, hammer, nail, on the head.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's the Daily Mail, FFS. Reasoned debate isn't really their thing, they major in provocative (& generally nonsensical) headlines for the titillation of their dopey readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you even read the article you posted? The article doesn't back up the headline.

sorry, as mentioned in my OP I read this in work today when it said they tested 65 men women in Germany parking an Audi and it took (:eek:) 20 seconds longer for women to parallel park it.

The article this afternoon said it was based on results from how many women (44%) and men (55%) have passed their driving tests..

It also said that the reason men's premiums are higher are because testosterone takes over when they get behind the wheel and that's why they go mental... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So not expecting to see much come from this. Except the usual flame wars.

OK.

Automatic 7 day ban for anyone who crosses the line to sexism (being serious, or "hilarious").

Does that ease your mind? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

My missus has been driving for years and has never had an accident.....having said that, whenever she is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, she gives me the heebeegeebees :(
    not sexist in any way, just factually correct

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

My missus has been driving for years and has never had an accident.....having said that, whenever she is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, she gives me the heebeegeebees :(
    not sexist in any way, just factually correct

My partner's like that too :(

He doesn't drive, but when I am he has to close his eyes sometimes. Very frustrating because I am a good driver. I mean I've had 1 accident in 4 years of driving so I'm not the best and I do have some bad habits like driving just a little too close or taking hands from the wheel or turning to look at people in passenger seat... oh wait.. now it all makes perfect sense :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Instead, they discovered that accidents involving two women drivers were 20.5 per cent, while male/male crashes were much lower at 31.9 per cent.

So 31.9 is "much lower" than 20.5 now? When did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

firefly08 wrote: »
    So 31.9 is "much lower" than 20.5 now? When did that happen?

That's not what it said. Reread!

That's not what it said. Reread!

Yes it is. I reread it. My quote above is still in there, verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This has been the case for a long time. But women do far less mileage then men, for shorter journeys at lower speeds. This is changing though and stats are starting to show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Re read the rest of the article
    They had expected to find that accidents involving two male drivers would make up 36.2 per cent of all crashes, while female/female accidents would account for 15.8 per cent and male/female 48 per cent

Instead, they discovered that accidents involving two women drivers were 20.5 per cent, while male/male crashes were much lower at 31.9 per cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Not trying to be sexist - and sexist comments (IMO this goes without saying) are not welcome...

But really??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2012188/Women-drivers-ARE-dangerous-wheel-scientists-discover.html

Mentioned this in work today and the amount of women who said they couldn't parallel park really surprised me...

What do boardsies think?

cant say anything ...lips sealed.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

I had heard before that women are responsible for the majority of small crashes/ fender benders, often at low speed with minor damage / injuries and expense.

I still suspect that the majority of fatal and multiple fatality high speed crashes are caused by risk taking men.

I'm a man in my 20's and generally feel more confident being driven by men.
    Being driven by other men the main concern is speed.
    Being driving by women my main concern is overall command of the vehicle and situational awareness.
    That just my experience. YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 WastedSpace

Haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

cant say anything ...lips sealed.:p
    Haha :D

Please don't post if it's going to be rubbish.

Mentioned this in work today and the amount of women who said they couldn't parallel park really surprised me................

I worked as a car park attendant, from what I saw women are definitely worse at parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The article explains the figures. It's based on normalising the data by accounting for the fact that out of 100% driving time of everyone on the roads, men are doing 60% of that and women 40%. Therefore if there is the same proportion of crap drivers in each sex, there will be more male crashes than female ones automatically.
    What they found was that the percentages indicated that less men crash than women, based on the fact that more men are driving.

I'm not sexist, but I'm not one of these plebs who think there is zero difference between the sexes. Men and Women are different, it's that simple. And I've seen more evidence to support the fact that by and large men are better drivers in terms of vehicle control and awareness. However, I'd rather see my 17 year old daughter (if I had one!) heading off in a car with her 17 year old female friend than 17 year old male friend.
    My opinion based on many, many different examples and experiences personally is that men are better from a skill-set point of view, and women are safer from a "calmer behind the wheel" point of view.
    (There are many exceptions of coarse, but generally this is my opinion). I think many people honest with themselves would probably admit the same, but many are too afraid of being seen as sexist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Couldn't agree more Tea 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

OSI wrote: »
    1 bloke crashing at 80MPH head on into another car full of passengers is going to cost a hell of lot more than 10 women having fender benders.

While no one can debate that, I think we can agree 1 bloke crashing at 80MPH head on into another car full of passengers is very, very, very rare.

Whereas, 10 women having fender benders could be used to describe an average day outside the local school or down at the supermarket in Ireland.

While no one can debate that, I think we can agree 1 bloke crashing at 80MPH head on into another car full of passengers is very, very, very rare.

Whereas, 10 women having fender benders could be used to describe an average day outside the local school or down at the supermarket in Ireland.

The cost more than makes up for it though. The 10 fender benders are going to cost probably 10-20K at most. A fatality can cost the insurance company a million, easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my Wifes never had an accident....she's SEEN hundreds of them though

before you ban me, she's a Paramedic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

As soon as I saw a link to this:

inside the article, I stopped reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I haven't seen any real difference between peoples' driving ability based on gender. There are the 'boy racer' types in their late teens and early 20's but beyond that age group, I haven't seen a difference. Maybe that's just the people I know though - or maybe I need to go to specsavers.

Do you think confidence could have something to do with parking ability? Obviously it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, but self-efficacy has been demonstrated to be one of the key components in the success of an individual's performance. I know some people (male and female) who are good drivers but have a parent/OH who undermines their confidence without cause when it comes to parking. (A man whose Dad always offers to park for him though he's been driving ten years and never has any problems parking; a woman whose OH also offers to park saying 'I know you're not comfortable parking' though she parks fine and doesn't ask for any assistance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Men generally have better spatial ability than women. Acknowledging this isn't sexist (and yes, there are exceptions in both genders).

However, as has already been mentioned, what's taken into account in both insurance loading and campaign planning by the likes of the RSA is the type of accidents caused by the genders. Yes, it's nice and headline-grabbing to shout "Women have more accidents than men!", but the death & injury statistics behind them are the salient part.

Advertisement