Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exposed: Ireland's Secret Cults

• 26-09-2011 9:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Just came across this on TV3, it's just started. Lot's of crazy people already and we're only 5 minutes in!!

Seems to be focusing on this lot... http://www.christinagallagher.org/en/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I LOL'd when I first saw that website. Pretty much sums her up.

This one - the Palmarians - is a bit terrifying :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Nice to see catholicism being described as a cult....remarkable it's taken this long. Wonder if that other crowd there's a thread here on will turn up in this program....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Nice of them to touch on Scientology for all of five minutes before the lawyers noticed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Couple of years back my neighbour got off his tractor, jumped over the ditch and asked me if I believed in God-said I'd burn in hell and that I needed to pray because the world was at war, accorriding to Christina Gallagher,who he and his family visited every three weeks, and Jesus was coming back soon, ...since then I steer clear of the nut..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Just came across this on TV3, it's just started. Lot's of crazy people already and we're only 5 minutes in!!

Seems to be focusing on this lot... http://www.christinagallagher.org/en/

That website is the business.

"Our Lady spoke briefly to Christina....." no cup of tea and a chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Couple of years back my neighbour got off his tractor, jumped over the ditch and asked me if I believed in God-said I'd burn in hell and that I needed to pray because the world was at war, accorriding to Christina Gallagher,who he and his family visited every three weeks, and Jesus was coming back soon, ...since then I steer clear of the nut..

was this man well on in years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Christina did not ask for any donations regarding the carpet, but as the small piece of carpet on the altar area was worn and dirty Christina did say that it would be nice if the Fraternity could get together and get the couple of yards needed, as it was only the altar area that needed replacement. The Fraternity themselves organised it and when one of them asked if they could have a piece of the old carpet removed from the altar, Christina said they could divide it up among themselves whatever way they chose. To imply that there was a charge for this is malicious.

OMG :eek: The bitch could have put her hand in her own pocket for a bit o' carpet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

There is a thread in the Christianity forum about the Palmarians. The number of people who registered just to post there is alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There is a thread in the Christianity forum about the Palmarians. The number of people who registered just to post there is alarming.
    I was halfway down the first page and came across this nugget
    ...Only country music was allowed. I remember being subjected to hours and hours of Garth Brooks, Patsy Cline and Glen Campbell.....
    :eek: Hazards of Belief/Religion methinks
    But joking aside, it is rather disturbing to see lots of people reg for the sole purpose of warning others. Seems like a lot of people have been damaged by this cult and spend their time searching internet forums/bbs for answers - and they're the LUCKY ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    But joking aside, it is rather disturbing to see lots of people reg for the sole purpose of warning others. Seems like a lot of people have been damaged by this cult and spend their time searching internet forums/bbs for answers - and they're the LUCKY ones
    Pretty much this.

More info on the Palmarians is here:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~palmardetroya/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

if TV3 investigative reporting was a dude i'd kick him in the nuts!

uh-oh! we have been spotted..... evasive manouvers!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Joe8008 wrote: »
    Also to get a balanced point of view on Scientology you should also talk to some actual Scientologists to get an understanding that we’re actually normal people who just use the philosophy to help ourselves and others, there’s plenty of us around. And while we don’t really appreciate all the bad-mouthing, by the same token it’s no big deal really. Like water off a duck’s back these days really, if you want something good in life, you do have to go after it a bit and weather the begrudgers.
    Hmmm! From this thread:
    Joe8008 wrote:
    King Mob wrote: »
    And of course I've asked you specific questions but you can't honestly answer them.

Yawn. Fact of the matter is I'm not here to answer any of your silly questions, however everything I said so far is specific.
    People tried to understand here and were told they were asking silly questions. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

This documentary was actually a poor attempt to cover Scientology. Of course Scientology is a huge philosophy with 35 million words, 3,000 recorded lectures and a vast array of techniques for helping people so one is hardly going to cover it in 10 minutes of a TV show.

For starters it is pretty obvious that Ciara has little to no idea what Scientology is, she’s never done a course, probably never read any of its books and certainly has never received any of its spiritual counselling. She didn’t seem to talk to any Scientologists so the whole thing ended up being a totally one-sided report.

Matthew did an okayish job in terms of what he’s trying to achieve but it was pretty obvious he really doesn’t understand the subject either (hardly surprising since he’s never done any of it). He was way off the mark when discussing the Training Routines (TRs). Yes technically TRs are for use in life but if he had managed to look at the cover of what he was reading he would have noticed that it is from a Scientology counselling course and the specific drill he was talking about was to drill intention so that one’s communication is carried across to the person one is counselling, even if they are going through a rough patch in a session. It’s an invaluable drill for helping people when they are addressing matters about which they may be spiritually or emotionally distressed and are having a hard time getting through. So the drill is actually all about helping people with counselling, it’s got nothing to do with trying to overcome people in arguments. In fact Scientology is all about really communicating properly with people properly and letting them be themselves.

The piece on Tony was unhelpful. It’s this kind of thing that causes problems for other people’s families so thanks for the attempt to break up our families with such nonsense, appreciate it. It’s hard to believe they don’t know where Tony is. Tony is easy to contact, even I know how to contact him and I don’t know him that well at all. For anyone interested in actual facts, here’s what happened with Tony. He decided to do some Scientology. His family gave him lots of grief because they didn’t get how he felt it was helping him and/or Tony didn’t do a good job explaining it to them and answering their questions and uncertainties about it. Like any sensible person on the receiving end of endless amounts of hassle, Tony eventually decided he had had enough of it and took himself off to America. Interestingly once he was away from the negativity, he got himself a lovely new wife, has a child and is currently doing really well for himself living on the west coast.

Gabi sounded like she did her entire interview in fear as if she was doing something bad to people who had tried to help her. The thing I still wonder about Gabi is was she actually already in Anonymous before she came in to the Mission ie was her agenda to come in, pretend to be interested and then leave and say it was all bad? Regardless of that everyone quite liked Gabi while she was around.

It’s unclear what Pete was trying to achieve with his lamentable bit. He ended up with a couple of lines basically attempting to trash L. Ron Hubbard’s lifetime of work helping people. It was unclear whether he was representing himself or Anonymous in the interview but Anonymous are supposed to be in favour of allowing Scientologists to practise Scientology independently of the Church so attempting to trash L. Ron Hubbard isn’t something Anonymous is supposed to be doing. Although having said that, Anonymous is a pretty confused organisation at the best of times.

For Ciara (since you’re probably reading this) I would recommend get the other side of the story about Anonymous and then decide if an undemocratic, unaccountable group who advocate abolishing copyright ie books, artists and music is really an organisation that is going to help make Ireland a safer better place. What if they attacked you and posted all sorts of obscene allegations about you all over the internet, on forums etc and you would have no redress or way to protect your good name because they are anonymous and unaccountable. Is that something you’d like? I wouldn’t say so. Here’s the other side of the coin with regards to Anonymous:
    http://www.scientology-dublin.org/wp-content/uploads/When-Crime-Has-No-Face.pdf

Also to get a balanced point of view on Scientology you should also talk to some actual Scientologists to get an understanding that we’re actually normal people who just use the philosophy to help ourselves and others, there’s plenty of us around. And while we don’t really appreciate all the bad-mouthing, by the same token it’s no big deal really. Like water off a duck’s back these days really, if you want something good in life, you do have to go after it a bit and weather the begrudgers.

People are interested in Scientology, they want to know why it’s growing, why it generates such a large number of diverse opinions and people want to know what are the good things that it offers.

For anyone who wants to look at the other side of the story check these links.

For anyone interested in L. Ron Hubbard see:
    www.lronhubbard.org

For anyone interested in the philosophy itself see:
    www.scientology.org
    www.dianetics.org

For anyone wanting to know what scientology is all about I would recommend reading a book called '' The Complex '' by ex-scientology member John Duignan. Or check him out on youtube
    Part 1 of 16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVBJPGeEio

As far as I can remember the scientologists tried to stop amazon from selling the book. Its a good few years since I read the book but it was quite frightening to learn what goes on behind closed doors.

As regards the new doc on tv3, will they be covering the Freemasons in any show:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This documentary was actually a poor attempt to cover Scientology. Of course Scientology is a huge philosophy with 35 million words, 3,000 recorded lectures and a vast array of techniques for helping people so one is hardly going to cover it in 10 minutes of a TV show.

For starters it is pretty obvious that Ciara has little to no idea what Scientology is, she’s never done a course, probably never read any of its books and certainly has never received any of its spiritual counselling. She didn’t seem to talk to any Scientologists so the whole thing ended up being a totally one-sided report.

Matthew did an okayish job in terms of what he’s trying to achieve but it was pretty obvious he really doesn’t understand the subject either (hardly surprising since he’s never done any of it). He was way off the mark when discussing the Training Routines (TRs). Yes technically TRs are for use in life but if he had managed to look at the cover of what he was reading he would have noticed that it is from a Scientology counselling course and the specific drill he was talking about was to drill intention so that one’s communication is carried across to the person one is counselling, even if they are going through a rough patch in a session. It’s an invaluable drill for helping people when they are addressing matters about which they may be spiritually or emotionally distressed and are having a hard time getting through. So the drill is actually all about helping people with counselling, it’s got nothing to do with trying to overcome people in arguments. In fact Scientology is all about really communicating properly with people properly and letting them be themselves.

The piece on Tony was unhelpful. It’s this kind of thing that causes problems for other people’s families so thanks for the attempt to break up our families with such nonsense, appreciate it. It’s hard to believe they don’t know where Tony is. Tony is easy to contact, even I know how to contact him and I don’t know him that well at all. For anyone interested in actual facts, here’s what happened with Tony. He decided to do some Scientology. His family gave him lots of grief because they didn’t get how he felt it was helping him and/or Tony didn’t do a good job explaining it to them and answering their questions and uncertainties about it. Like any sensible person on the receiving end of endless amounts of hassle, Tony eventually decided he had had enough of it and took himself off to America. Interestingly once he was away from the negativity, he got himself a lovely new wife, has a child and is currently doing really well for himself living on the west coast.

Gabi sounded like she did her entire interview in fear as if she was doing something bad to people who had tried to help her. The thing I still wonder about Gabi is was she actually already in Anonymous before she came in to the Mission ie was her agenda to come in, pretend to be interested and then leave and say it was all bad? Regardless of that everyone quite liked Gabi while she was around.

It’s unclear what Pete was trying to achieve with his lamentable bit. He ended up with a couple of lines basically attempting to trash L. Ron Hubbard’s lifetime of work helping people. It was unclear whether he was representing himself or Anonymous in the interview but Anonymous are supposed to be in favour of allowing Scientologists to practise Scientology independently of the Church so attempting to trash L. Ron Hubbard isn’t something Anonymous is supposed to be doing. Although having said that, Anonymous is a pretty confused organisation at the best of times.

For Ciara (since you’re probably reading this) I would recommend get the other side of the story about Anonymous and then decide if an undemocratic, unaccountable group who advocate abolishing copyright ie books, artists and music is really an organisation that is going to help make Ireland a safer better place. What if they attacked you and posted all sorts of obscene allegations about you all over the internet, on forums etc and you would have no redress or way to protect your good name because they are anonymous and unaccountable. Is that something you’d like? I wouldn’t say so. Here’s the other side of the coin with regards to Anonymous:
    http://www.scientology-dublin.org/wp-content/uploads/When-Crime-Has-No-Face.pdf

People are interested in Scientology, they want to know why it’s growing, why it generates such a large number of diverse opinions and people want to know what are the good things that it offers.

For anyone who wants to look at the other side of the story check these links.

www.lronhubbard.org

www.scientology.org
    www.dianetics.org
    tl;dr

That just creeped me the fúck out.

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

themadhair wrote: »

any else get flashbacks of Police Academy when they got to 41 minutes in the video? :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

www.lronhubbard.org

www.scientology.org
    www.dianetics.org

For anyone interested in seeing . Ron Hubbard's 5 most impressive lies that have nothing to do with Scientology see:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_16337_l.-ron-hubbards-5-most-impressive-lies-besides-scientology_p4.html

• Advertisement

For starters it is pretty obvious that Ciara has little to no idea what Scientology is, she’s never done a course, probably never read any of its books and certainly has never received any of its spiritual counselling.
    That would be why she talked to people who had done a course, had read its books and had received its ‘spiritual counselling’.
    She didn’t seem to talk to any Scientologists so the whole thing ended up being a totally one-sided report.
    That was the Dublin mission’s fault. Since they, you know, refused to be interviewed or offer anything for the piece.
    So the drill is actually all about helping people with counselling, it’s got nothing to do with trying to overcome people in arguments.
    And yet this is one of the ways the TR manifests. The point that was made in the doc was how the TRs kick in – which you have pretty much ignored. A bit more on the TRs, and a demonstration of the ashtray drill, is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SotPfdSJ7Qk
    In fact Scientology is all about really communicating properly with people properly and letting them be themselves.
    Apart from that whole disconnection thing.
    It’s hard to believe they don’t know where Tony is. Tony is easy to contact, even I know how to contact him and I don’t know him that well at all.
    Please pass his contact details on to the family, as they have been trying to get in touch with him since 2002.
    The thing I still wonder about Gabi is was she actually already in Anonymous before she came in to the Mission ie was her agenda to come in, pretend to be interested and then leave and say it was all bad?
    Do you try to rationalise away every person who leaves Scientology in the same manner? It would be nice to have the money she spent on Scientology in order to only ‘pretend’.
    …so attempting to trash L. Ron Hubbard isn’t something Anonymous is supposed to be doing.
    Pointing out Hubbard’s many documented failings and frauds is surely the only truthful thing to do?
    Also to get a balanced point of view on Scientology you should also talk to some actual Scientologists…
    As previously noted, slightly difficult to do when ye refuse to speak.
    People are interested in Scientology, they want to know why it’s growing,…
    Wasn’t there a drop in Scientologists from 55,000 to 25,000 in the American Religious Identification Survey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

My understanding of Scientology is that one moment L. Ron Hubbard was saying something to the effect that the way to get rich was to invent a religion and the next moment he did and imbeciles still fell for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Who removed Joe8008's post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Broads.ie wrote: »

Xenu :D

Broads.ie wrote: »
    Joe8008. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Dades wrote: »
    Joe8008. *shrug*

But who made him remove it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Christ's very words to Christina Gallagher...

'My peace I impart to you this day. I desire you fill My Mother’s Houses and pray. Only in that way will you receive the graces needed. Uphold My Mother’s Houses with great joy through prayer and their upkeep. Do it with an open heart and joy in your offering. Your money will soon be of little use to you.'

Two things came to mind from a brief read of her website.

Some people's suspension of disbelief is all too easy achieved.

Plus, Christina's writings show how the ability of someone with flowery language and a little knowledge can make up "believable" teachings, and effectively a religion. Alas, there are always those ready to believe.

Oh, and you'd think someone transcribing the very words of christ could do a better job, reminds me of the many jokes about how Mosses et all took down the wrong words and we ended up with misunderstood commands :D

'Many, to their shame, have already truned from Me and united themselves with all that is anti of Me.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Christina Gallagher, Scientology, any other loony tunes.

What's the difference between them and say a more popular cult like The Catholic Church???

Maybe The Catholic Church is more organised with some fantastic recruitment mechanisms.

Have a look at The Catholic Church's premises.
    Christina's are only Barna Sheds in comparison.

Lots of money being accumulated by all the cults.
    If you are stupid enough to give them some of yours, don't come crying afterwards.

What's the difference between them and say a more popular cult like The Catholic Church???
    Severity. If I scam you out of €5 and someone else scams you out of your life savings they are both scams - but one is way more severe than the other.

There are plenty of groups around with strange belief systems like Hare Krishna, the Raelians, etc., but in general those groups don't rip the guts out of a person's life like the Palmarians or Scientology or what have you.

• Advertisement

So the good cults are the ones that only rip you off a little???

I understand now!

So the good cults are the ones that only rip you off a little???
    Well...yeah. Cultism is about how groups severely exploit others through undue influence. Sometimes the undue influence is minor and the damage limited. In case like Scientology, Palmarians, etc. the damage is much more severe and devastating. It is about trying to quantify the harm and reserving labels like 'cult' for when the damage being caused is severe.

Well...yeah. Cultism is about how groups severely exploit others through undue influence. Sometimes the undue influence is minor and the damage limited. In case like Scientology, Palmarians, etc. the damage is much more severe and devastating. It is about trying to quantify the harm and reserving labels like 'cult' for when the damage being caused is severe.

Are you using the word severe only when you refer to how a single individual is exploited?

How about if a lot of people are being exploited.
    If everybody is being exploited, do we notice as much???

The effect of The Catholic Church on the planet in my opinion would be very severe.
    Anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-divorce, anti-contraception, anti-abortion.
    They have also collected BILLIONS of euro/dollars/pounds all over the world.
    They have built mansions, palaces and museums in their own honour.

They are the supreme cult!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

irishh_bob wrote: »
    was this man well on in years ?
    No early 50s-we now call him the Taliban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How severe are we rating raping you as a child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Interesting piece in the dailymail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042730/Inside-Scientologys-Super-Power-Building--worshippers-controversial-religion-told-superhuman.html

I must admit, its the height of luxury. Only the rich celebs will get to use it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My former neighbour has got involved with a born again group in Cork, He recently got baptised and now they want €400 off him, They will have bitten off more than they can chew with this guy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

An ex of mine became born again after I broke up with her when I found out she was cheating on me.
    Still a slut AFAIK :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Christianity forum threads on the Palmarians:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318698

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56388357

Even Christians think they do be crazy yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 withGod

Why weren't the freemasons investigated in tv3 cults documentary .When its very obvious they are longest running ,largest cult in the world with ranking members involved in human trafficking ,drugs ,child abuse and child sacrifice ?

why were they not investigated and why are they never investigated ?????????:mad::mad::mad:

withGod wrote: »
    Why weren't the freemasons investigated in tv3 cults documentary .When its very obvious they are longest running ,largest cult in the world with ranking members involved in human trafficking ,drugs ,child abuse and child sacrifice ?

why were they not investigated and why are they never investigated ?????????:mad::mad::mad:

Freemasons are small potatoes when compared with The Roman Catholic Church!!!

• Advertisement

Freemasons are small potatoes when compared with The Roman Catholic Church!!!

Thats old news seen as its common knowledge that freemasons have infested the Vatican for at least 100 years .Freemasons small ?
    Ya gotta be joking the freemasons are bigger organisation than the Catholic Church .
    why were they not investigated in tv3 documentary I suspect noone will or can want to answer that because of their obvious influence in the public media .
    It would be funny only its very very serious due to the fact that they are part of satanic rituals which sacrifice children and abuse children in their rituals also behind closed doors .
    Not for much longer because they will be exposed soon ,very soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, that'll be some exposure alright. Child sacrifice and more than a billion claimed members?

so noone has answered me yet why was it not investigated in the tv3 documentary the freemasons been largest cult ever existed !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

so noone has answered me yet why was it not investigated in the tv3 documentary the freemasons been largest cult ever existed !!!

Who holds back the electric car,who makes Steve Gutenberg a star!!!.....oh wait thats the Stonecutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yeah and what about the cult of no homers?! :mad:

Edit: Beaten to it by tallaghtmick (who I've heard is a freemason!)

Who holds back the electric car,who makes Steve Gutenberg a star!!!.....oh wait thats the Stonecutters.

rubbish no sense at all so I ask again why were the freemasons not investigated in tv3 documentary been oldest cult in the world !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

so noone has answered me yet why was it not investigated in the tv3 documentary the freemasons
    Look at the TV3 logo turned 90 degrees left:

177182.png

That's Mickey Mouse, that is. Sure sign of infestation by freemasons.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yeah and what about the cult of no homers?! :mad:

Edit: Beaten to it by tallaghtmick (who I've heard is a freemason!)

rubbish no sense at all so I ask again why were the freemasons not investigated in tv3 documentary been oldest cult in the world !!!

Just coz

because sacrificing children is fun! youre no fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement