Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners for a heavy runner

• 26-09-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm starting the Fit4Life running programme soon and I need a new pair of running shoes. I'm heavy (around 120kg). I went to a local shop and got my gate analysed. They told me I had slight overpronation and I'm a slight heel striker. My feet stay fairly straight. I land on the outside of my foot but then it levels out fine.
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a shoe. The shop only had a limited selection and the guy suggested a Mizuno Wave Alchemy or Wave Inspire.
    Are these any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm starting the Fit4Life running programme soon and I need a new pair of running shoes. I'm heavy (around 120kg). I went to a local shop and got my gate analysed. They told me I had slight overpronation and I'm a slight heel striker. My feet stay fairly straight. I land on the outside of my foot but then it levels out fine.
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a shoe. The shop only had a limited selection and the guy suggested a Mizuno Wave Alchemy or Wave Inspire.
    Are these any good?
    Not too sure if the Inspire are that suitable for the heavier runner. I found they went 'flat' very quickly, I was just over 13st at the time. The Asic's GT2160 or Kayano are maybe more suitable for the heavier, heal striker runner as they are very cushioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm about 16.5 stone at the mo and I wear Asics GT 2160's. I got my gait analysis done and I over-pronate also but I don't think I'm a heel striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I am lost in the puddle of runners to buy!!!!!!!!!!

Have bought 2 pairs but happy in none of them.I got Gait done locally but runners given to me i am not happy with now so going to get another pair.
    I am a moderate/severe over pronator and weigh 100 kgs......hopefully my next pair are the right ones.

My physio thinks i will need orthotics at some point but i really do not want to run in them........would rather a structred and cushioned runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

dahat wrote: »
    I am lost in the puddle of runners to buy!!!!!!!!!!

Have bought 2 pairs but happy in none of them.I got Gait done locally but runners given to me i am not happy with now so going to get another pair.
    I am a moderate/severe over pronator and weigh 100 kgs......hopefully my next pair are the right ones.

My physio thinks i will need orthotics at some point but i really do not want to run in them........would rather a structred and cushioned runner.

Orthotics have got me from 3 miles with 2 days off to 17 miles with 4 the next day ! I wear mine with good neutral runners and haven't looked back. I was 112kg and just hitting 100kg now !

I'd advice anyone to go to a proper shop and get gait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks folks,
    I went and got my gait analysed and got fitted for a pair of shoes. They said I am a mild overpronator and they recommended Saucony Progrid Omni 10 for stability.
    I tried them out last night and they feel very comfortable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement