Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expert opinion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

i would say the anschuts would be up to the job as a mate of mine had one and it was a cracking little gun. ya could drive tacks with it all day long. some guys will say different but my experence of it was all good. never gave him any hassle anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

Don't think you can go too far wrong with either gun if it's only for a few rabbits. If it was my choice I'd probably pick the cz Brno as I've had a few and all were excellent. Good luck and good shooting with whichever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

There are loads of second hand 22lr,22wmr and 17hmr on the market at the moment your spoiled for choice. Go to a few dealers and see what they have or look on here.
    At the moment you could pick up a cz 22lr with a scope and a mod for as little as €150 second hand. Happy hunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The CZ is the better choice for a number of reasons;
    • More accurate. Even though Anschutz have an excellent reputation for accuracy a semi auto by its very nature is inherently less accurate than a bolt action, even one deemed as a lesser make than Anschutz.
    • If you start off with a semi auto and it is less accurate it could "dent" your confidence or you could develope bad habits. Although all rifles have a common skill set to handle there are subtle differences between semi autos and bolt actions.
    • Its safer. A bolt action through its design can only fire one round at a time. I know a semi works on the same principle but after firing a round with a semi auto the next round is automatically chambered. Not so with a bolt action.
    • More available. The two you linked to above are good rifles and priced okay, however a quick search on the For Sale section will give you a few options, mostly CZ, were a rifles + scope + bipod + sling can all be gotten for around the €400 mark. Thats a ready to shoot rifle for €100 more than the cost of the CZ rifle on its own.
    • Better re-sale. Believe it or not going on sales a bolt action rifles (rmfire) is more popular than semi autos. Meaning you are appealing to a bigger audience when re-selling or trading.
    Some will agree with me on some points and not others. Its all a matter of personal choice. I would seriously suggest you check around more dealers. For an extra month of saving, and a bit more looking you could find te perfect rifle at a slightly higher cost.

As both rifles above stand you are looking at a further;
    • €100 - €200 for a safe (for any rifle so maybe not so relevant)
    • €120 - €300 for a scope
    • €50 - €100 for a bipod
    • €10 -€40 for a sling
    • €30- €100 for a case
    Thats between €300 and €740 (depending on make, new, secondhand, etc) extra ontop of the price.

Now look at something like this rifle (this one is sold, but for an example it'll do). You get all the gear you need bar the safe, for €100 extra. Add in the safe and for €600 - €700 you have a full shooting/security rig.

Just a thought, but go for the CZ.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Very well said..... i have to agree with everything you said. Whatever you do dont go for the .17 pro they are very fast and accurate but only accurate for about 20-30 shots con then you will have to copper foul it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

pm. wrote: »
    Very well said..... i have to agree with everything you said. Whatever you do dont go for the .17 pro they are very fast and accurate but only accurate for about 20-30 shots con then you will have to copper foul it.
    I don't know where you're getting that from,I assume you mean a. 17hmr as opposed to a .17 remington. I never had trouble with copper fouling and could drive tacks for a lot more than 20-30 shots! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the only negative thing i ever heard about the hmr is wind drift and bullet prices, you are the first person ive seen advising someone to stay away from it:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

he must be on about the 17 rem that does foul up. but the 17hmr is a cracking little round and ive run 200 rounds thru mine without cleaning and im still knocking bunnies at 150yrds with headshots. so it must be the 17rem or 17 fireball he is on about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sorry lads on the wine tonight :) its the 17rem im talking about.... the only problem i had with the .17 is its very light and a bit of a breeze will knock it off course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Those anschutz semi's have a poor reputation , i know several people who have them and bought them because they assumed it would be the same quality as their bolt actions , all have had major trouble with them.
    For bashing bunnies i'd go for the cz/brno , tough,reliable and great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Of the two and generally, I would go the CZ route too for all the reasons already outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

also have to remember a licence fee of €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

thanks a mill for all the advice lads, think i,ll go down the cz route!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

rowa wrote: »
    Those anschutz semi's have a poor reputation , i know several people who have them and bought them because they assumed it would be the same quality as their bolt actions , all have had major trouble with them.
    For bashing bunnies i'd go for the cz/brno , tough,reliable and great value for money.

Ditto on that. A noob in our club bought one for vermin-shooting and fun range time, and in spite of using just about every make and model of ammunition available over here, never managed to get it shooting into less than about an inch or so at 50m - WHEN it functioned, that is. Finicky wasn't the word. He took it back after a few eeks and had to go through the pain of changing his gun for a

CZ.

Never looked back.

There are BRNO/CZ rifles in our club over fifty years old - one of our club guns was an 18th birthday present BRNO for a youngster - now 78.
    And it still shoots better than most can hold it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Another vote here for the CZ.
    I was shooting my cz453 varmint on sunday and shot a 10 shot group at 50 yards that measured 10mm center to center. I could cover the hole with a 1 cent coin.
    They are a great rifle for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Ihave my cz now for 15 years and it never gave me an ounce of trouble. Super accurate and cheap as chips to fire. Cz is the way to go ESP for your first rifle as it just won't go wrong on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

+1 on the CZ

I got a .22 CZ 452 Silhouette as my first rifle two years ago - Cannot fault it! It's a great rifle and will shoot straight all day long (so long as I do my bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

lee70 wrote: »
    There are loads of second hand 22lr,22wmr and 17hmr on the market at the moment your spoiled for choice. Go to a few dealers and see what they have or look on here.
    At the moment you could pick up a cz 22lr with a scope and a mod for as little as €150 second hand. Happy hunting.

can you PM me details on what gun dealers are selling for those prices please as im looking for a cz .22.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

thehorse wrote: »
    can you PM me details on what gun dealers are selling for those prices please as im looking for a cz .22.

Thanks very much
    It varies on location and individual dealers. Theres a list of Irish dealers on here somehere. It's just a case of ringing a few of them too see whats out there. Start where you live then work your way out to as far as your prepared to travel.

Advertisement