Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd bungalow in 'The Tenters'

Options
  • 26-09-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

I posted this in a different thread (where it probably didn't belong), might get more of a response from people in the area here.

I've often been curious about This weird little bungalow. It's in the Tenters, so maybe someone from D8 could help?

It doesn't fit in to the architecture of any of the surrounding buildings, and it doesn't make sense that it's just there, in front of a semi-D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just asked my mam there who has lived in the The Tenters all her life and we all still do. The houses in The Tenters were for the most part bulit in 1922 so we're guessing this was bulit before that and she think it could have been a shop. Some man still lives in it.

Remember back in the day (aka few years back), the meet up spots used to be "The Bungalow" or "The School" (Scoil Treasa Naofa). Nearly sure the landmark back in my mothers' day was "The Bungalow" too.

EDIT: Just racking my brains, and it might have been assiocated with the making of woollen cloth on Tenterhooks (hence the name of the area) or possibly something to do with Cows Parlour just around the corner from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I was half-thinking the same myself. However, being a bit of a nerd, the bungalow doesn't date from the most recent ordinance survey maps conducted just prior to independence. The little bungalows across from it were on a road called Keogh's Cottages or something like that, that jutted across what's now Clarence Mangan.

I could be wrong about that, but whatever the answer is, it's really bizarre that it was just left there (or built purposely) right in front of the semi-detached houses that are right behind it.

I was half-thinking the same myself. However, being a bit of a nerd, the bungalow doesn't date from the most recent ordinance survey maps conducted just prior to independence. The little bungalows across from it were on a road called Keogh's Cottages or something like that, that jutted across what's now Clarence Mangan.

I could be wrong about that, but whatever the answer is, it's really bizarre that it was just left there (or built purposely) right in front of the semi-detached houses that are right behind it.

Bear in mind it could have just been an abandoned thatched bungalow prior to independence as the area would have just been fields up to 1922. Are the three cottages opposite it on the ordinance survey map?

Not sure if you've ever read this thread on Dublin.ie but it's a fantastic read http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?7348-The-Tenters-Dublin-8-FAO-Bridget

Just a part I noticed there is:
    The cloth needed to be stretched and dried on tenter hooks in the fields between what is now O’Curry Avenue and Clarence Mangan Road.

I'll ask around anyway, few of my neighbours would be living in the area for donkeys (possibly one of the first) and might know something me and my mam don't.

Could it be a protected structure for whatever reason? The booklet is 265 page PDF file and for some reason it wouldn't let me search in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

According to Thoms 1969 directory the value is given as £9 10 shillings and No 2 is occupied by Alexander McGregor.

Bear in mind it could have just been an abandoned thatched bungalow prior to independence as the area would have just been fields up to 1922. Are the three cottages opposite it on the ordinance survey map?

Yeah, the three bungalows opposite form a much longer line that stretched all the way to near Oscar Square (which didn't exist at the time) and kind of cut through Clarence Mangan (again, which wouldn't have existed) to get there. Maybe it was built in the meantime between the ordnance survey and the building of the Tenters.

Thanks for the link, btw, I'll access it later, seems to be undergoing issues at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EDIT: Just racking my brains, and it might have been assiocated with the making of woollen cloth on Tenterhooks (hence the name of the area) or possibly something to do with Cows Parlour just around the corner from it.

Linen was bleached in the sun on tent-like structures. http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?7348-The-Tenters-Dublin-8-FAO-Bridget

In the 1840s, there was a cotton factory (I wonder if the map is wrong on the material) in what is now the business park. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714427,732696,7,8

That's where White Swan Business Park is now. I've been looking for years for something to indicate there was a Donore Castle, cheers for that btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Victor wrote: »
    Linen was bleached in the sun on tent-like structures. http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?7348-The-Tenters-Dublin-8-FAO-Bridget

In the 1840s, there was a cotton factory (I wonder if the map is wrong on the material) in what is now the business park. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714427,732696,7,8

If you toggle onto the 25 inch 1913 map om OSI, it is clearly marked as "The Bungalow". I will check Roques map and see if there is any structure from 1756, but as far as I remember there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you seeing something that I'm not? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714632,733133,7,9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Victor wrote: »
    Are you seeing something that I'm not? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714632,733133,7,9

Whoops... I pulled the map down in error... mea culpa!!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if the address of that house is 2 Clarence Mangan Road, in case that's causing any confusion here. I initially linked to 2 Clarence Mangan Road, and then found the weird bungalow manually. I don't even think the address would be Clarence Mangan as the door is on the street which meets it, whatever that's called.

I'm also unsure whether the 1913 OS map was all compiled in 1913. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that it was compiled over a longer period, and completed in 1913. Which could allow for the bungalow to exist pre-independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Its beside a school - any chance it was built as a headmasters residence ?

Would their be a headmaster even though Warrenmount was run by Nuns who lived in the convent on the Blackpitts side of the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 christina22

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone is raising children in the Tenters and what are the best schools primary and secondary.. Im looking at a house to buy around there at the moment, just wondering whats it like for children as i have 4, one teenager and 3 in primary. Want to move closer to town and it looks like a lovely area, any opinions?

Probably better starting off a new thread on here, and I'll give you the most detailed post possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm not sure if the address of that house is 2 Clarence Mangan Road, in case that's causing any confusion here. I initially linked to 2 Clarence Mangan Road, and then found the weird bungalow manually.
    To confirm, this is the house the thread is about:

180840.JPG

...or is it another house? If another, please give a picture of it.

Ok Thanks, just started a new thread.

Hi tried to start a new thread then it was closed or something, not sure how you start a new thread

the_syco wrote: »

180840.JPG

That's the house.
    Hi tried to start a new thread then it was closed or something, not sure how you start a new thread

I replied to your thread there.

the_syco wrote: »

180840.JPG

Yeah, that's the house. Actually I was speaking to a woman who lives in the area, and knew the people who used to run it as a shop (back in the day, and all that). She's definite it was there before the housing estate was built, which means I was wrong. And the maps are wrong.

I'd still love to know when it dates from and why it was left there when they (apparently) built the housing estate around it. Maybe they used it as a space for the builders to have their tea in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pádraig Turley

I am involved in the Tenters Memories project, and learned the bungalow was built in 1928 as part of the Fairbrothers Fields/Tenters estate. The bungalow was a shop and the lease under which it was created contained a covenant to the effect that they would maintain a shop for the area. It was a shop up until the 1960`s. It is still in the same family that first acquired it in 1928.

Advertisement