Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Kerry on Friday

Options
  • 26-09-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, going to killarney on friday for the weekend. Anyone and suggestions for things to do down that part of the world. Also not sure if the kerry forum is the best place for this, but we are driving down from Dundalk on friday so were thinking of stopping somewhere along the way to break up the drive if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Your journey will be on motorway until just after Limerick city so if you want to take a break you will have to leave the M7. You could stop in Rathcoole on the N7 and there is a service station at Junction 14 in Kildare. You could always follow Obama and get off at junction 23 for Moneygall! If you continue past Limerick your first village is picturesque Adare.
    As for what to do - depends on what you'd like to do - you could spend your whole time travelling around or you could wander around the town of Killarney and its environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Thanks for that. Seems to be plenty of info on kerry, main point of research at the minute is somewhere to stop along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Stop off in Adare, it's lovely, and it's the first town after the motorway finishes outside Limerick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Adare is the "traditional" spot,but if you want to break sooner, the Kildare Village outlet is just off the motorway and is worth a passing glance(and has nice loos.)

If you want see some of the National Park you have a few options
    1. hire bikes
    2. drive to Muckross and park and walk
    3. cheesy and touristy, but the jarvey car is good fun
    Things to see that I'd suggest would be Torc waterfall,Muckross abbey and Ross Castle.

Miss Courtney's tea rooms are "proper" tea rooms. I find it hard to pass Murphys' Icecream on the main street not too fat from Quillls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

you are also reasonably close to kenmare in killarney so it might be a good place for a day trip kenmare is also lovely.

as for stopoffs I would stop at the services on the motorway. adare is about 1-1.5 hr drive from killarney the road is not that bad there either. dublin is about 2-3 from limerick so If i were you I would be stopping in limerick or before it.

• Advertisement

So much to do in Killarney its hard to know where to start. Muckross House, Ross Castle, the Gap of Dunloe, Torc Waterfall, the Cathedral, the Demesne, the National Park and Lakes all worth seeing. Hiking/walking in Reeks or Mangerton or in the woods, jaunting cars, boat trips on the lakes, golf, good restaurants, good hotels, good pubs, the INEC...it has everything.

Wouldn't bother staying over anywhere, though Adare is pretty. But it should only be 4 1/2 hours or so and with so much to see and do I'd just get there as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The blue pool forrest loop is a great walk in Killarney that very few tourists seem to know about. Head out the Muckross road for a few kilometres and turn left just after the Muckross park hotel/Molly Darcys pub car park. There is an entrance into the forrest with a barrier about 200 metres up that road on the left. Its only 2 or 3 km but well worth doing. Watch out for mountainbikers.

Advertisement