Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my housemate tried to kill me last night...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Duggy747 wrote: »
    So basically, me and the housemates have to survive being murdered until Friday.

Sure you won't feel a few days passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Can't believe I missed the picture, pm? :p

The one month notice thing is a joke, it's fine under normal circumstances but running into people's rooms with knifes changes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

how old is he and how old are the rest of you's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Can't believe I missed the picture, pm? :p

The one month notice thing is a joke, it's fine under normal circumstances but running into people's rooms with knifes changes that.

you missed a man passed out with a knife and a cup beside him.

Don't rub it in Sam.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Don't rub it in Sam.

Are you a believer Rig

In what? Duggy? I always believe Duggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Where is the picture gone of him lying on the floor knife on chest face omitted out with comedy effect, looking more like Deadmau5

He woke up,left the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Keep all potential weapons in your room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Why is anyone replying to hondasam? She/He is obviously loving the attention. Its pathetic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

... Went to the Gardaì, showed them the picture but they told me they couldn't do anything either.

I call bull manure. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere in the book about an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.

Of course that's a mickey mouse wikipedia definition, but the exact wording of the Irish definition escapes me.

So both landlady and guards should pull a finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I believe ya OP. I've known my fair share of absolute loons whose craziness is only compounded with the introduction of alcohol. You did the right thing by going down to the station, the only further advice I can give you is to get your other housemates to do the same. Get them to verbalise their worries that this individual is unstable and possibly harmful, that way there's a logged precedent.

You could even go so far as to say that nobody wants to stay there while he is present and that you fear in your absence he will cause damage and/or remove your property. That way if he does get twisted and seek vengeance against you he will be the first and most obvious suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Call me old fashioned, but if after trying to kill me with a large knife, the attacker then proceeds to take a nap outside my bedroom door, well lets just say his night is going to take a serious turn for the worse and he would be quite unlikey to be repeating his shenanigans any time soon.
    You done what now? You took his photo and called his landlord?
    Way to show him who's boss duggy! He certainly knows you aint to be fúcked with.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

woodoo wrote: »
    The guards are something else aren't they. "Oh if he tries to kill you again give us a call" :eek:

I'm pretty sure you need to have your phone at the ready and ring them as he is actually stabbing you. Really need to get your timing right for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I had a housemate who was like this. At first he was lovely, quiet and a bit shy but following an issue with a former housemate who was a drug dealer but mostly user, he quit his job and became an alcoholic.

His friend (who I would also have known) approached me and told me that the guy had it in for me, and that it would be best for everyone involved if we called his family to get them to do something about it. Queue lots of locked doors, police, even ambulance one night due to alcohol poisoning before his brother came down.

Saw him on TV recently as a contributer for the show, nice to see he's doing well but the f*cker put me through hell as a teenager without so much as an apology.

Just move out and put the whole thing behind you, not even worth wasting energy on imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

hondasam wrote: »
    I can prove it, if I had to, the op can't.

Jesus give it a rest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I had a housemate who was like this. At first he was lovely, quiet and a bit shy but following an issue with a former housemate who was a drug dealer but mostly user, he quit his job and became an alcoholic.

His friend (who I would also have known) approached me and told me that the guy had it in for me, and that it would be best for everyone involved if we called his family to get them to do something about it. Queue lots of locked doors, police, even ambulance one night due to alcohol poisoning before his brother came down.

Saw him on TV recently as a contributer for the show, nice to see he's doing well but the f*cker put me through hell as a teenager without so much as an apology.

Just move out and put the whole thing behind you, not even worth wasting energy on imo.

Michael D Higgins on the Vincent Browne Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Thread of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The Garda attitude does seem a bit less than you'd expect. I remember sharing a house with some people and one of them let her brother sleep in another guys bed as he was supposed to be away that night. Well yer man duly arrived home, loaded, to discover some stranger in his bed. Much to my amusement he pulled the young guy out of the bed and proceeded to give him the greatest arsekicking of all time (I saw the bruises later). The big sister went mental and called the RUC (this was in Craigavon in 1993) who showed up fairly prompto. Yer man was hauled off and warned not to return to the house and that was that.

I'd view threatening with a knife to be far more serious than comedy arse kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Call me old fashioned, but if after trying to kill me with a large knife, the attacker then proceeds to take a nap outside my bedroom door, well lets just say his night is going to take a serious turn for the worse and he would be quite unlikey to be repeating his shenanigans any time soon.
    You done what now? You took his photo and called his landlord?
    Way to show him who's boss duggy! He certainly knows you aint to be fúcked with.:confused:

How would that even slightly help? The guy sounds like a scumbag and an unstable drunk, and apparently one with lots of scummy friends to back him up. At the moment he is threatening and intimidating. You get him while he's passed out, give him a few slaps and all of a sudden you've escalated an already tentative situation and put yourself in the position of the criminal and the Gardai could arrest you quicker than him.
    Not to mention that guys like this can be all talk and bravado but it they're embarrassed or made feel weaker they usually retaliate way out of proportion, and if he's already wandered around waving a knife, if he feels belittled then he may well use it to regain his status he may feel he has lost.

OP has done the right thing contacting the landlord and Gardai and start to look for a new place, because he is right. If the guy is kicked out and felt pushed over or emasculated then he may well come back drunk and try set fire to the house or start smashing up windows or cars. Violence begets violence and it takes a bigger man to not let it get to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you think the headcase is going to hold a grudge and come back later on looking for revenge, you and your housemates should find another house together.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Cant believe no one has mentioned the obvious yet.Could this guy be in the middle of some serious mental illness? I have a friend who is a paramedic and they get called to deal with your type of situation every month at least. Its up to them to call the guards if they cant cope with the person and the guards will come out straight away if the ambulance crew call them. The person may brought to A+E and assessed by psychs when sober.A lot of the time they are found to be suffering from a manic episode. An awful lot of the behaviour you describe could easily fit the criteria.Maybe the guy needs help because that type of situation is often the ugly face of mental illness. Do you know anyone who knows his family? Is he at college etc where you could contact them? I would keep yourself very safe but dont rule out the fact that this guy could be ill. You would feel like crap if he topped himself and no one tried to help. Maybe he is just a di**head but a medical evaluation sounds like it would go a long way here. Could you put your understandable anger aside for 5 mins and ask him is he ok and has he contacted a doc? If he tells you to f**k off at least you know you tried. If he does it again this week I would call for an ambulance and let them assess him.This is the stuff of their daily bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I was planning on moving out anyways but now it's definitely in motion. I know this type of character, I've dealt with them many times before and know that it won't end after he moves out.

The scenario of him returning to this house with his buddies can't be brushed aside and will always be a possibilty. We've talked it through about changing the locks and telling him that we've informed the Gardaì if he pulls any more stunts.

He has shìtloads of public disorder charges so something like this definitely would see him in big trouble. He's a brutal drunk and the Gardaì know it, they didn't consider him violent but rather just a plain asshole.

Thank you OP for reminding me why not to share a flat again.

How did ye ever get lumped with this guy in the first place ? Did you guys find him or the landlord found him ? Seems like background checks shoudl have been done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

@ herosa, that's all well and good, but people who try to murder other people generally are mental.

I'm sure if my mental flatmate had murdered me, the fact that he was mental would have done little to comfort my friends and family. He was lucky that I was young, naive and had empathy for my fellow man because if it was now I would barricade the door and insist that he was evicted. I didn't need him making my life hell and making me frightened for my wellbeing when I had exams and other worries. When I saw him on TV I wondered does he ever think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

herosa wrote: »
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the obvious yet.Could this guy be in the middle of some serious mental illness? I have a friend who is a paramedic and they get called to deal with your type of situation every month at least. Its up to them to call the guards if they cant cope with the person and the guards will come out straight away if the ambulance crew call them. The person may brought to A+E and assessed by psychs when sober.A lot of the time they are found to be suffering from a manic episode. An awful lot of the behaviour you describe could easily fit the criteria.Maybe the guy needs help because that type of situation is often the ugly face of mental illness. Do you know anyone who knows his family? Is he at college etc where you could contact them? I would keep yourself very safe but dont rule out the fact that this guy could be ill. You would feel like crap if he topped himself and no one tried to help. Maybe he is just a di**head but a medical evaluation sounds like it would go a long way here. Could you put your understandable anger aside for 5 mins and ask him is he ok and has he contacted a doc? If he tells you to f**k off at least you know you tried. If he does it again this week I would call for an ambulance and let them assess him.This is the stuff of their daily bread and butter.

Your drunk and possibly violent housemate patrols outside your door with a knife and you're asking if he's okay and contemplating calling an ambulance!? LOL. WROOONNNG!

I know what you are saying denhaagenite and you are right of course. Its just that..well fast forward 2 years and imagine the op standing at your mans inquest surrounded by his sobbing family trying to explain why he saw all this and didnt call an ambulance. You are right.He needs to put his own safety and wellbeing first as did you but even a quick call to the GP or something would let you walk away saying "ok I did my bit-Im outta here" Sometimes people with schizophrenia will try and kill someone because in their head they think the person is the devil or something. I am not saying he has schizophrenia or bipolar or anything.Maybe he is just a nasty aggressive a**hole but you would need the psychs to make that call. A lot of people have that sort of episode in their lives,get diagnosed and treated and are ok people today.It sounds like the flatmate is having an absolute crisis of some sort.You dont try and stab your flatmates if you are a well and happy bunny. Its way too much for the op and his housemates to deal with.They are not trained and prob have their own problems. Call in the professionals for your own safety and his.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The Garda attitude does seem a bit less than you'd expect. I remember sharing a house with some people and one of them let her brother sleep in another guys bed as he was supposed to be away that night. Well yer man duly arrived home, loaded, to discover some stranger in his bed. Much to my amusement he pulled the young guy out of the bed and proceeded to give him the greatest arsekicking of all time (I saw the bruises later). The big sister went mental and called the RUC (this was in Craigavon in 1993) who showed up fairly prompto. Yer man was hauled off and warned not to return to the house and that was that.

I'd view threatening with a knife to be far more serious than comedy arse kicking.

Is it just me who feels the flatmate here was hard done by?? Now there's probably some other circumstances that made the situation worse, but if I arrived home (drunk or not) and found a stranger sleeping in my bed beside all of my stuff...I'd kick the **** out of them too. I certainly wouldn't be trying to gently wake them up to ask who they were. The sister should've asked the flatmate first.

• Advertisement

No Jaxxychick it is not wrong and that is your own ignorance of mental illness showing. That guy could go on and murder someone if he is ill and untreated.The op is lucky and has lived to tell the tale. The next person he pulls a knife on may not be.What if he met your family next week ie your sister or something? That is one of the reasons so many tragedies happen in this country.People see it coming and do nothing. Half the people in psych hospitals come in with this kind of incident. I deal with it every day and have over 15 years of training and experience in this field.

Advertisement