Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my housemate tried to kill me last night...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

wow, sounds like you live with a nut.

GET OUT, move house, drop all contact.

HOW did he get a house in the first place, how does he pay rent / drink 3 nights a week, is he working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

herosa wrote: »
    You are right.He needs to put his own safety and wellbeing first as did you but even a quick call to the GP or something would let you walk away saying "ok I did my bit-Im outta here"

I called his family, who were reluctant, then I called the Guards who couldn't do anything except confiscate a couple of cannibas plants growing in his room and suggest that if he got too drunk to call an ambulance, which I did. I showed him far more compassion than he deserved considering the threats he was making towards me- my point is that now, older and wiser, I might not have so much patience and that at the end of the day, if I had not wished to put myself at risk any more then any misfortune he came to would not have been my fault, my responsibility or my problem at any inquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP, get out of the house if at all possible. If it's not possible to stay elsewhere, your gf is staying over, and he tries this again get your girlfriend to call the gardaí in hysterics about the man with a knife in her house. I'd say they're more likely to respond to a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Denhaaganite If you called the guards and called the ambulance and his family then you more than did your bit.You are right.Any misfortune he went on to suffer would not have been your fault. My post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the " kick the sh** out of him" brigade who have been posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

No Jaxxychick it is not wrong and that is your own ignorance of mental illness showing. That guy could go on and murder someone if he is ill and untreated.The op is lucky and has lived to tell the tale the next person he pulls a knife on may not be.What if he met your family next week ie your sister or something? That is one of the reasons so many tragedies happen in this country.People see it coming and do nothing. Half the people in psych hospitals come in with this kind of incident. I deal with it every day and have over 15 years of training and experience in this field.

I appreciate your experience in this field but I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to find out if this person intended to threaten me with a knife, and I wouldn't be launching my own investigations into this individual's mental state. OP's loyalty is to his own safety first.

First call would be to the gards, not the paramedics. With weapons involved they'd surely be better equipped to deal with it. Then afterwards if they feel he belongs in a hospital so be it. You don't put yourself or anyone else at risk on the off-chance that someone you owe nothing to might be schizophrenic.

Someone brandishing a knife? You protect yourself first, not try to hold their hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think it's clear hondasam is the housemate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Denhaaganite If you called the guards and called the ambulance and his family then you more than did your bit.You are right.Any misfortune he went on to suffer would not have been your fault. My post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the " kick the sh** out of him" brigade who have been posting.

But if I hadn't done anything, my conscience should equally have been clear, that's my point. Someone that I don't know going off the rails and even putting me at risk for no reason is not something I have to feel guilty about.

Sometimes people do need a good kick up the ass, but it will more than likely come from the complete strangers he keep bringing home with him.

Of course you try and protect yourself first and not hold their hand. Thats a given.!! I think the guards have acted very oddly. They should have been round and taken him into custody for medical assessment. So I will give you that. It was really their job to do it not the op. I suppose the point i was trying to make is that at some stage this week this guy should have had psych assessment. I would just worry what he might do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

You can't really blame him for trying out a bit of murder - he's a product of his environment after all and soforth.

Well there is no law against not helping someone. The courts wont find you guilty in any way. Its just crappy though if someone kills themselves/someone else and you are left wondering would a 999 call have changed the outcome. On some level you must feel that way too because you tried to do the right thing 3 times ie call guards/ambulance/family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

NothingMan wrote: »
    How would that even slightly help? The guy sounds like a scumbag and an unstable drunk, and apparently one with lots of scummy friends to back him up. At the moment he is threatening and intimidating. You get him while he's passed out, give him a few slaps and all of a sudden you've escalated an already tentative situation and put yourself in the position of the criminal and the Gardai could arrest you quicker than him.

Maybe we view the world differently, but as far as i'm concerned if somebody is walking around my house with a knife, threatening to kill me, the situation has already escalated to an unacceptable level! If this gentleman then proceeds to pass out on the landing, then that is going to prove to be a big mistake on his part.
    There may or may not be repercusions, but that's life for you. He's probably not too impressed that the op called the cops and landlord on him either, plus he now thinks he can do whatever he wants without fear of reprisal. It makes no sense to allow people treat you like shít, especially people who might harm you. He needs to be put in his place and the fúcking landlord isn't going to do it for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

You're after messing it all up. You were meant to die that night.

You're after messing it all up. You were meant to die that night.

LOL Thats funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

post the pic, or kindly leave

It's human instinct to immediately take photographs of someone who just tried to stab you for the amusement of internet users :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

cool story bro, now your going to have to post a pic of your gf so it will really complete the story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sneak into his room tonight. And then, while he's asleep, cut his face off, wear it like a mask and rob a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This is clearly an alpha male stand off.

Duggy you'll have to ride the ass of him to let him know who is the top dog. I saw it on Ross Kemp on Gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Ever heard of Final Destination, you are probably just prolonging the inevitable!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

What a f**king thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

HE'S BACK!!!

Or else this is a poor imitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

wait untill he comes into your room and throw a tomohawk at his head

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I think I may know who this nutcase is. Pretty sure he used to live in the apartment beside me. OP, is the guys last name 'Quinn' by any chance?

Mr Quinn was a nightmare. Got to the point where he cut the brake cables on my bike, pushed me down some stairs and tried to break in to me apartment during the night.

And the OP is not joking about it taking a month to evict, and that's only if the eviction isn't challenged. It can actually take up to 6 months. My landlord couldn't evict Mr Quinn for over 4 months, during which time no rent/bills were paid.

And the Gardai are completely powerless unless you have an independent witness.

There are some really messed up people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,030 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are some really messed up people out there.
    There are some really messed up laws over there. Nevermind the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Is the OP dead yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Is the OP dead yet?

Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Overheal wrote: »
    There are some really messed up laws over there. Nevermind the people.

Oh thanks very much! You don't see me going onto south carolina's version of boards, criticizing your laws :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Fbjm wrote: »
    Oh thanks very much! You don't see me going onto south carolina's version of boards, criticizing your laws :o

See how nice you were there, you even used the american spellling of criticise! Just so he didin't feel thick. You're too good for your own good ya know!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

RachaelVO wrote: »
    See how nice you were there, you even used the american spellling of criticise! Just so he didin't feel thick. You're too good for your own good ya know!;)

Damn autocorrect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Has the OP posted today? Hope he survived the night? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sorry everyone that I didn't reply yesterday, wasn't near a computer all day.

Nothing has kicked off with the housemate, yet. Scumbag is out Friday so just 2 more nights :)

Though the lying shìt did apparently say to another housemate that I planted the knife on him. Hondasam must've been talking to him :pac:

I'm still alive anyways....................at least, I think I am.....................if not then I'm probably a ghost which in that case..................eh....................boo?

Advertisement