Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway train station to Ballybrit Ind Est (by bus).

Options
  • 26-09-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi

does anyone knows if there's a convenient way of commuting between Galway train station and the Ballybrit Ind. Est?

I have found some information about a bus route but the timetable is a joke (3 departures on the morning from Galway and 3 on the late afternoon from Ballybrit)
    details: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2011/01/ballybrit-industrial-estate-factory-run.html

anyone knowing a better alternative (without driving my own car :) ) ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

The number three bus is your best bet. It doesn't go to the the business park but goes close. You would get out at the stop at the top of the Monivea road. Then you have to walk a bit and take your life in your hands crossing the N6.

You could also get the number 8, but that ends in Mervue and the walk is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fti wrote: »
    Hi

does anyone knows if there's a convenient way of commuting between Galway train station and the Ballybrit Ind. Est?

I have found some information about a bus route but the timetable is a joke (3 departures on the morning from Galway and 3 on the late afternoon from Ballybrit)
    details: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2011/01/ballybrit-industrial-estate-factory-run.html

anyone knowing a better alternative (without driving my own car :) ) ?

Thanks

Oops ... must update that.

The timetable there is out of date. There's now only one bus in the morning that way, from the top of Eyre Square at anywhere between 8 and 8:20am. And there is another one from Eyre Square at 6:30am too (the first No 9 of the day now goes via Ballybrit0.

It's do-able on the No 3 (Ballybrit), provided:
    • you carry an umbrella (no shelter, and it's a 15 minute walk)
    • you are brave enough to cross the Morris roundabout: this isn't for the faint-hearted, IMHO it's safer to cross at the east end on the mornings, and west end in the afternoons, sometimes takes a while to find a gap in the traffic, but be patient and it will come.
    You may find the Ballybrit neighbourhood map helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I agree re the crossing at the Morris roundabout - it's lethal. The road can be very slippery when it's raining and it's built up in such a way that you can't see the cars on the other side until the last corner. Like JustMary says, I would be very patient until you're sure there is a break in the traffic.

It's going to be replaced soon by lights which I'm sure will improve safety for pedestrians. I personally will also prefer the new situation when driving (but I don't really want to start that discussion again)

By the way the number 3 bus isn't very punctual in the afternoons, it's often been more than 30 minutes late when I was waiting for it (or it just skipped a service altogether) though this was a few years ago, before I had a car. But the bus going back from HP is much more punctual and it's usually OK though it can take its time getting into town due to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

JustMary wrote: »
    It's do-able on the No 3 (Ballybrit), provided:
    • you carry an umbrella (no shelter, and it's a 15 minute walk)
    • you are brave enough to cross the Morris roundabout: this isn't for the faint-hearted, IMHO it's safer to cross at the east end on the mornings, and west end in the afternoons, sometimes takes a while to find a gap in the traffic, but be patient and it will come.
    You may find the Ballybrit neighbourhood map helpful.
    On the bright side, that roundabout won't be there for much longer so it'll soon be safer for people getting to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I know somebody who does this commute who uses a fold up bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Thanks a million everyone for your help.

It seems that a consensus is building up on the n°3 bus. The Bus Eireann website says it's a 12 min ride. Does anyone knows if the estimation is relevant ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Thanks a million everyone for your help.

It seems that a consensus is building up on the n°3 bus. The Bus Eireann website says it's a 12 min ride. Does anyone knows if the estimation is relevant ?

Thanks

Its probably correct for the mornings, but some evenings/afternoons it might be as quick to walk into town than get the bus.

12 mins? Yes maybe when the sun is in the third quarter and moon coincides with Mars.

I remember walking from Mervue to Briarhill once to collect my car. I thought of waiting for the 3. But I took the risk that I would be close to a stop when it arrived. I arrived in Briarhill at the same time as the bus in the end. It was literally quicker to stroll over a mile.

On the other hand. I timed the number 8 from Eyre Square to Mervue one evening. 7 minutes. It was just a pity I waited 45 minutes for it to arrive in Eyre Square.:mad:

xflyer wrote: »
    12 mins? Yes maybe when the sun is in the third quarter and moon coincides with Mars.

:):):):)

That's what I was afraid of ... On the bright side, one can say you did not mention that the moon had to be full.

• Advertisement

:):):):)

That's what I was afraid of ... On the bright side, one can say you did not mention that the moon had to be full.
    No, it just has to be blue.

No fault of Bus Eireann, just Galway's traffic, officially the worst in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Network map attached, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xflyer wrote: »

It's right in the mornings: on days when I get the 8:30am bus, I'm at my desk between 8:50 and 8:55am, and that's with the walk into the estate taking me 10-15 minutes.

But you're right, afternoons more variable in both directions.

yer man! wrote: »
    Network map attached, simple.
    Thanks a mill, that's one thing I was looking for...
    JustMary wrote: »
    It's right in the mornings: on days when I get the 8:30am bus, I'm at my desk between 8:50 and 8:55am, and that's with the walk into the estate taking me 10-15 minutes.

But you're right, afternoons more variable in both directions.

Ok good to know that on mornings it's do-able. I would be arriving at Galway train station at 8:35, so the 08:30 won't do it, rather the 09:00.

Unfortunately, I guess I'll have to take my car, it will be much shorter (at least half of the time needed for train + bus + walk) but also much more tiredness and CO2... :(

Thanks anyway to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

If you're coming from the east (I assume you are because you said you'd be arriving by train as an alternative) it's probably a lot easier by car, the estate is very close to the motorway. So you'd hardly have any traffic.

Getting back out towards the east is easy too, there's a little shortcut out to the dual carriage way, out the back of the estate. That dual carriageway has some traffic but it's only up to the roundabout and usually only a 10 minute job (although they've just started replacing that roundabout so there'll be some extra delays due to the works). I never head out on the motorway after work but I assume it's ok as there's nothing there that could cause delays.

If you're coming from the east (I assume you are because you said you'd be arriving by train as an alternative)
    You assume right indeed ;)

I knew taking my car was most probably the best option, I just wanted to be sure that no alternative to the usual 1 person in 1 car existed.

Thanks

Advertisement