Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i sterilise feeding spoon/bowl?

Options
  • 26-09-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, going to start my little man on solids so bough tommee tippee weaning spoons+bowls today. But nowhre on the packaging does it mention sterilising them before using. All it says is to wash in warm, soapy water. Now maybe im wrong, but i thought they would have to be sterilised, or at least the spoon. His bottles are still being sterilised and the bottle teat going into his mouth is the same as a spoon,isnt it??..... So should i be doing them or not? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I never sterilised feeding utensils... only the bottles, to get rid of milk residue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I did until the baby bit the dog then I thought it was time to stop;)
    I think once they are healthy and over the 6 months it is fine to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I never sterilised feeding equipment either, just bottles. The book I used when I was weaning my baby advised just to put all the feeding things in the dishwasher (if you have one). I think the dishwasher gets hotter than you would handwashing so it'd be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Thanks, il use dishwasher so. He is actually only coming up to four months and since i keep ringing phn and leaving messages and she still hasnt got back to me, nor has he has his 3month check, im kind of going it alone here... But i feel weaning is the right choice as 7-8oz bottles just arent satisfying him anymore. Anyway Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

i also found that phn doesnt have any contact, so im just going down to her today for his 3 month check. good luck with the weaning, my little man should be starting soon too!

• Advertisement

Don't get me started on my PHN. Totally useless!

We started weaning at 4.5 months and haven't looked back. I'd say go with your instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No, I just put them in the dishwasher. I sterilised the bottles until he was a year, which there was probably no need for.

My sis in law went to the PHN the other day with my niece and she got a lecture because she didn't bring her in for her 3 month check up....she had arranged 2 appointments at 3 months and the PHN cancelled on both occasions and never set up an alternative appointment :D

She was also asked if my niece was on solids and she said yes since 5 months. She was given a lecture about that too, apparently she should have been on solids from 4 months. My sis in law told her that everyone else she knows who's had a baby in past 8 years has been told to start babies on solids at 6 months.

They'd drive ya mad :D

Ahh +1000000 on the phn stuff. The annoying thing is she rang me whrn he was coming up to 11 weeks and asked how we were and said she would call to arrange appointment for 3month check the following week an i still havent heard, despite ringing and leaving several messages. Anyway tried him with some carrot and potatoe last night, he took about ten tastes, then started crying when i tried to give him more so i offered him the bottle, which i didnt think he would take as i thought he was full but he drank it all. Does that meaan he didint like the carrot and potatoe, should i try something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It takes a few tastes to get used to something, so don't give up on it just yet. A small amount is all they need at this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No need to sterilise the feeding stuff, it's not like the teat of a bottle which can be in prolonged contact with the inside of baby's mouth.

I found my wee man really took to sweet potato - it mashes up mushier than regular potato and is that bit sweeter. A great first food.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    I found my wee man really took to sweet potato - it mashes up mushier than regular potato and is that bit sweeter. A great first food.

Yeah my little one loved sweet potato but wasn't great for eating normal potato at the start so might be worth trying sweet potato instead.

Thanks. Going to get the anabel karmel book from library tomorrow, if they have it. Its been reccomended lots of times to me so it seems to be good. Thanks again for the replies everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ten tastes sounds pretty good to me? Is ten tastes the same as ten spoonfuls?

ten tastes sounds pretty good to me? Is ten tastes the same as ten spoonfuls?

lol yes but it is a weaning spoon so its only half the depth of a normal tea spoon. Also the food wast heaped onto it, so in reality he had about the same amount as would fit on 3 normal teaspoons! Still good though i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

That sound like plenty for the first few times.. also butternut squash is great too and carrot and you can mix and match them as he gets older .. also stewed apple. every now and again i would've sterilised my spoons but just until i'd stopped sterilising the bottles at about 7-8 months. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Buscuits

She was also asked if my niece was on solids and she said yes since 5 months. She was given a lecture about that too, apparently she should have been on solids from 4 months. My sis in law told her that everyone else she knows who's had a baby in past 8 years has been told to start babies on solids at 6 months.

They'd drive ya mad :D

An old wives tale, when baby starts mimicing your mouth movements when your eating then baby is ready to start eating.

Forget all these time frames that PHNs give, every baby is different.

Advertisement