Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do Vegetarians Want to see on a menu?

Options
  • 26-09-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I work in the catering industry and we are writing new menus at the moment. I dont really know any vegetarians so I'm just wondering what do vegetarians like to see on a menu? Looking for both starter and main course ideas. From experience in work I know that not all vegetarians like the generic things that are put on as veggie options such as goats cheese and pasta dishes. Really interested to hear some alternatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Thank you for recognising this, I know it can be frustrating to keep seeing lasagne etc. as the veg. option.

I would suggest looking at the menu of somewhere like Cornucopia (link) - they usually have some interesting dishes that can also appeal to non-vegetarians. (Well, some of them..!)

• Moroccan chickpea tagine served with a lemon and coriander couscous
    • Baked Portobello mushrooms on leek mash with onion gravy
    • Spinach & hazelnut cannelloni in tomato sauce with basil oil
    • Spanokopita
    • Quiche of the day: mushroom, leek & smoked cheese
    • Broccoli, lentil and sweet potato sambar (Sri Lankan curry) served with organic brown rice
    • Roast squash & fennel layered with olive polenta with romescu sauce
    • Thai green curry with chickpea, squash and tofu
    • Mushroom & puy lentil moussaka

I'd also add vegetarian stir-fries to that, maybe also something like tofu spring rolls/wraps.

One other thing, I see a lot of "vegetarian options" listed with Parmesan in the description. Parmesan is generally not vegetarian, although there are veg. equivalents (pretty sure Castelli do one, not sure if it's available in Ireland though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

My local Indian does a chickpea massala. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well aren't you nice for asking! It would be nice to see a wider variety of tastier veggie options available in mainstream restaurants, but there are a few basic things I'd mention first:

1. Are the ingredients of the vegetarian option actually vegetarian? For example is the stock in the soup vegetarian, does the cheese have rennet in it? Peanut pointed out about parmesan above, but it's worth checking all cheese to make sure, especially the harder ones (cheddar etc).

2. Besides anything else, is the vegetarian stuff just meat dishes with the meat left out? :( Like just a plain cheese pizza, or pasta with plain tomato sauce. I hate that. If you're a place that does breakfast don't just have the vegetarian version be a fry with extra beans and mushrooms to make up for the lack of sausages, for example. I used to live near a place that did a vegetarian breakfast, not an amazing breakfast or anything but it did include potatoes and vegetarian sausages, which put it miles ahead of other places and I went there quite a bit.

3. The main thing I like to see on a menu is choice, it's really annoying when you go somewhere and there's only one starter and one main you can order. I'd say just by having a few options at each course you'll win a lot of veggie friends, I know that I'll return to places if I remember there were a few different things to try, even if I can't remember what they were. Indian and other Asian restaurants in my experience have the best variety of options for veggies so it might be worth looking at their menus maybe?

If I see tofu on a menu I'm usually delighted, so I'll recommend tofu dishes.

A couple different types of vegetarian soups maybe? (as opposed to just "vegetable").

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hi! Thanks for asking for ideas here it is great that you are proactively seeking to improve options for your veggie customers!

I would agree with a lot of the ideas above and would ask you not to rely too heavily on cheese and pasta as these are so old fashioned.

If you do an interesting veggie soup then it’s not too much more effort to make it vegan - just don’t use any diary in it.

Some ideas

Starters
    Mezze plate - hummous, baba ganaoush, pitta chips, tabbloueh
    Veg soup - spicy butternut squash, sweet potato and tomato, Jerusalem artichoke, tomato and basil
    Tostada with salsa, guacamole and salad
    Nacho plate - with or without cheese and sour cream (without could be a vegan option)
    Potato skins with dip (salsa, sour cream, artichoke)
    Olives, breads and dips
    Slow roasted tomatoes with crusty bread

Mains
    Risotto - Lemon and herb/tomato/pumpkin/asparagus - depending on season and offer cheese less option too
    Super food salad - roasted b/nut sq, seeds, nuts, seasonal leaves
    Some kind of noodle dish - pad Thai, ramen kind of thing
    Homemade veg burger with chunky wedges - make without egg and offer with or without cheese for vegan option
    Veg curry with rice - loads of different options here - try mamtas kitchen (just google it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've deleted a number of posts. Back on topic please, if you've an issue with a post then use the report feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Great to see someone with such foresight regarding vegetarian options. I hate when there is only one option and I also hate when the "vegetarian stir-fry" has oyster sauce or some fish sauce as an ingredient which actually means there is no veggie option. Agree with other posters suggestions and think there are some fab options there that I would dearly love to see on restaurant menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mrsnicey

Thanks for all the suggestions! Especially to Peanut, very much appreciated. We had an interesting few days trying out some of the dishes and putting our own twist on them. I am a meat eater but have to say with the likes of the Moroccan Chickpea Tagine with Cous Cous that was a huge favourite in the kitchen I don't think I could be bothered ordering a meat dish if that was on a menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

At last, someone with some foresight :D I would happily eat any of the suggestions already listed. It really annoys me when I go to a restaurant and the only veggie option seems to include goats cheese!! I have also noticed that anytime I have been to a restaurant that actually has imaginative veggie options, at least one of my meat eating friends will order the veggie option too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

Theres a lot of "pasta with veg" options out there. I like to see protein!!! Beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas..... yeda yeda. Might be a bit expensive but you could give a "quorn" option. Lasagne made with quorn. Yum. Also, an option that excludes creamy/cheesey sauce for vegans. It's not as hard as it seems. I'd highly reccommend the blazing salads cookbook for heavenly recipes. Yummmm.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4176Q4AY7WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vinnygo

No meat.... actually I would like Feta cheese.
    mrsnicey wrote: »
    I work in the catering industry and we are writing new menus at the moment. I dont really know any vegetarians so I'm just wondering what do vegetarians like to see on a menu? Looking for both starter and main course ideas. From experience in work I know that not all vegetarians like the generic things that are put on as veggie options such as goats cheese and pasta dishes. Really interested to hear some alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Buffalo mozzarella and tomato bruschetta

Buffalo mozzarella and rocket pizza/ salad
    Dunno how its so tasty! Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

No veg lasange... Yawn
    No goats cheese
    And never ever serve stir fried veg!!!

Anything wrapped in pastry is good for me.

Quorn.... Please serve regular food with quorn sustitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Gnocchi! As easy as pasta but way more interesting and tasty. Nom nom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Peanut wrote: »
    One other thing, I see a lot of "vegetarian options" listed with Parmesan in the description. Parmesan is generally not vegetarian, although there are veg. equivalents (pretty sure Castelli do one, not sure if it's available in Ireland though).

Try 'Gabriel' or 'Desmond' cheese from Cork - both vegetarian, both 'parmesan' equal/better and both Irish products - I get mine in Sheridans - had some last night with a lovely Penne Arrabiata

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Make your own seitan! There would be HUGE demand for that treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 itsalongday

cosmic wrote: »
    Gnocchi! As easy as pasta but way more interesting and tasty. Nom nom :pac:

Delish, try it with a little creme fraiche, well sauteed ****ake mushroom, heaps of garlic and a little thyme.... mouthwatering

sweat off the shallot and lots of garlic
    not up the heat, add a knob of butter and the sliced shiitake mushrooms ( no stalk as its chewy , keep this for soup, stews and drying)
    saute well and the flavour will be fantastic, now if your lucky enough to have a drop of truffle oil its time for it to make its debut, add a dash

when cooked season well with seasalt and blackpepper and a few fresh thyme leaves

add the creme fraiche at the last moment and mix well, toss this through the gnocchi and season to taste

add parmesan or as suggested in another comment some veg friendly cheese from cork ( cant wait to try it)

serve and savour

if your cooking for a mixed group or couple add smoked bacon pieces to the non veggie one

yum yum lets go ;0)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Happyzebra wrote: »

Quorn.... Please serve regular food with quorn sustitute.

fake meat with a regular meal would go down a treat like this suggestion. Lots of people love it. You can even get great ones in pubs in britain, let alone restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JCC

A bit of variety is always nice when eating in a restaurant - I cook pasta a good bit and I don't want to eat it when I'm out! Something with a bit of imagination as all posters have mentioned above, even simple stuff like stuffed butternut squash (for the season that's in it), quiche etc...

One thing that really annoys me is restaurants using meat stock in veggie soup, it's the one thing I constantly forgot to ask about when I became veggie first. Or (and I'm aware this is becoming a rant), having something labelled "vegetarian" instead of "vegetable", there's a big difference!! A bit of extra text on the menu explaining would save us having to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

actual vegetarian stuff to start with, no parmesan/other non veggie cheeses, no non veggie pesto, nothing more disappointing than reading the veggie options only to realise they're not veggie. That is one of the main things.

The second main thing is as someone else pointed out...a protein/meat substitute of some sort (that is not cheese), be that beans, tofu, fake meat, seitan w/e.
    It is so often you see the veggie option with any protein in it which doesn't make for a very valuable or substantial meal.

Sorting those two things alone would be a huge step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dublin Vegetarian Reviewer

No veg lasagne, no risotto, no stir fry, no pasta and tomato sauce, no butternut squash, no cheese dishes. Use aubergine, avocado, courgette, endive...In short, don't serve anything that is a *vegetarian option* in any other restaurant. Also, the term *vegetarian option* is offensive. Who would like to go out for dinner and have no choice about what they eat? Also, don't ask vegetarians to tell you want they want in the restaurant...if I wanted to spend the evening designing my own meal I'd cook myself, the professional chef should have lots of interesting suggestions to hand.

Cornucopia's menu is actually less than inspired. A fantastic veggie restaurant is in Brighton, called Terre-a-Terre. Check out their menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

We have served a lentil nut roast, on bed of tossed leaves with sun dried toms and home made hummus.
    Portabello burger, dressed to the nines in a huge bun, with onion marmalade and the choice of cheese or not.
    Mixed bean hot pot "almost betty style" with a sweet potato mash.
    Quinoa with butter beans and spicy tomato sauce in cannelloni tubes (was a huge hit).
    Variations of pasta and lentil dishes, but the biggest hit always seems to be the lentil dishes, dal lentils slowly cooked in lemon juice, with a hot tom yum sauce, roasted red peppers and courgettes with a garlic aoili is just devine.

Best of luck with it.

I'm starving now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what county/county do you serve your food in?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hi Tar,

We were in co meath, unfortunately due to the economic downturn (la la la la la), and the loss of an amazing chef, we have moved away from food service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Cornucopia's menu is actually less than inspired. A fantastic veggie restaurant is in Brighton, called Terre-a-Terre. Check out their menu.

I agree that they can be hit & miss. I thought however that the OP would have the advantage of having some local (Irish) places to visit initially.

I'm not sure that having a stir-fry dish is such a crime, as long as it's done with some flair and has additions like satay or marinated braised tofu puffs to balance it out and add flavour.

Terre-a-terre looks very interesting but I get the impression that they're catering to a more adventurous segment of customer with dishes such as this,

"Better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish: Soft buttermilk soaked halloumi dipped in chip shop batter, served with vodka-spiked preserved plum tomatoes, bright fresh pea mint hash with pickled quails egg, sea salad tartar and chubby chips, finished with lemony yemeni relish."

Now I would definitely visit somewhere like this (maybe as a once off), but I'm not sure if this type of menu would be suitable in a more general catering environment, which I think (could be totally wrong here) is what the OP was looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

--LOS-- wrote: »
    The second main thing is as someone else pointed out...a protein/meat substitute of some sort (that is not cheese), be that beans, tofu, fake meat, seitan w/e.
    It is so often you see the veggie option with any protein in it which doesn't make for a very valuable or substantial meal.

Yes! This is a big thing for me. It's like people assume that seeing as you're a vegetarian you'll be pleased to get fed at all. I bloody like bloody food (metaphorically), I like eating food that is vegetarian, tastes good and is a balanced nutritious meal, but it's like I can only get 2/3. If a meat eater had to eat a second dinner after going home from your restaurant you wouldn't be happy like.
    No veg lasagne, no risotto, no stir fry, no pasta and tomato sauce, no butternut squash, no cheese dishes. Use aubergine, avocado, courgette, endive...In short, don't serve anything that is a *vegetarian option* in any other restaurant. Also, the term *vegetarian option* is offensive. Who would like to go out for dinner and have no choice about what they eat? Also, don't ask vegetarians to tell you want they want in the restaurant...if I wanted to spend the evening designing my own meal I'd cook myself, the professional chef should have lots of interesting suggestions to hand.

At the risk of getting in trouble twice in one thread, your post should calm down. A genuine question was asked, most chefs aren't trained in vegetarian or vegan cooking as a specific thing. DO ask vegetarians what they want in a restaurant, that's how we get nice things to eat
    bellapip wrote: »
    We have served a lentil nut roast, on bed of tossed leaves with sun dried toms and home made hummus.
    Portabello burger, dressed to the nines in a huge bun, with onion marmalade and the choice of cheese or not.
    Mixed bean hot pot "almost betty style" with a sweet potato mash.
    Quinoa with butter beans and spicy tomato sauce in cannelloni tubes (was a huge hit).
    Variations of pasta and lentil dishes, but the biggest hit always seems to be the lentil dishes, dal lentils slowly cooked in lemon juice, with a hot tom yum sauce, roasted red peppers and courgettes with a garlic aoili is just devine.

Best of luck with it.

I'm starving now.

Wow almost all of these sound amazing, and I think it does address the real issue, even when you said "variations of pasta dishes" you were going the extra mile to make them taste good, rather than just doing a token veggie dish. Sorry you had to shut down :(

bellapip wrote: »
    Hi Tar,

We were in co meath, unfortunately due to the economic downturn (la la la la la), and the loss of an amazing chef, we have moved away from food service.

Aw a pity, I would have visited. Sounds amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Some great menu choices here. Only one thing I would disagree with. As a vegetarian for over 25 years I hate having a meat substitute on my plate by this I mean anything that looks like meat - ie quorn sausages, burgers, those horrible 'chicken' things etc. I would love to be offered some of the dishes quoted here - pasta and tomato sauce should be banned from the Veg option in all restaurants!!

most chefs aren't trained in vegetarian or vegan cooking as a specific thing. DO ask vegetarians what they want in a restaurant, that's how we get nice things to eat

Do you not think also that the customer who is obliged to instruct a professional chef (in receipt of a salary which the customers pay) in how to prepare a meal should be paid for their service instead of the other way around?

Some great menu choices here. Only one thing I would disagree with. As a vegetarian for over 25 years I hate having a meat substitute on my plate by this I mean anything that looks like meat - ie quorn sausages, burgers, those horrible 'chicken' things etc. I would love to be offered some of the dishes quoted here - pasta and tomato sauce should be banned from the Veg option in all restaurants!!

I fully agree. It is bewildering that somebody would think that a vegetarian/vegan would seek food "just like chicken", etc. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Do you not think also that the customer who is obliged to instruct a professional chef (in receipt of a salary which the customers pay) in how to prepare a meal should be paid for their service instead of the other way around?

If given the choice between being asked what I want to see on a menu, and seeing 1 vegetarian option invariably consisting of goats cheese and aubergine in absolutely every single restaurant, I'd rather be asked, to be honest.

Advertisement