Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Full article.
    Dead Space 3 sees series hero Isaac Clarke stranded on a frozen planet called Tau Volantis after his ship crashes, according to alleged insider info procured by Siliconera.

Believing he is the only one to come out of the accident alive, he finds his way to an abandoned waystation where he meets another survivor who tells him that a few others made it - including Ellie from the first game - and have set off in search of a facility.

Duly, they apparently all rendez-vous, with new character Jennifer then concentrating on reverse engineering mysterious tech by a group called Rosetta.

There's also mention of the trio climbing a mountain pursued by an unseen foe, while the game's enemies are reportedly referred to as "the hive mind."

EA isn't commenting on its veracity, but the leak comes from the same source that correctly called a Syndicate scoop recently.

It's not the first we've heard of Dead Space 3 either - last week an Israeli TV crew caught site of a logo and concept art while filming inside EA's Redwood office.

Also another link here.

http://kotaku.com/5844014/rumor-dead-space-3-trades-total-darkness-for-blinding-light-on-a-frozen-planet

Rumor: Dead Space 3 Trades Total Darkness for Blinding Light on a Frozen Planet
    If EA is making another Dead Space—and it's starting to appear that it is—it may be a radical rethink of the sci-fi horror series. Gone may be the dark corridors of space ships and far-flung planetary settlements, replaced by an icy wasteland inhabited by an all-new strain of monster.

Siliconera reports that it has first details on the fiction of Dead Space 3, claiming that the next entry takes place on the planet Tau Volantis. The planet's "white-out blizzard conditions" may trade the blackness of previous Dead Space games for pure white, a new method for keeping the beasts of Visceral Games' horror franchise well hidden from view.

Those beasts, according to Siliconera's mole, are known as "the hive mind" in Dead Space 3.

EA and Visceral are rumored to be already hard at work on Dead Space 3, but none of this is official yet.

More rumored details on the story, potentially spoiler-ish, at Siliconera.

Dead Space 3 Takes Place On A Frozen Planet, First Details Inside [Siliconera]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More scares, less repetitive shooting please Visceral.

I love the mechanics, setting and atmosphere of the series, but boy the last game could have used some serious variety to counter the onset of third act apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

Looks a bit like Prey 2, don't you think? They switched the horror corridors with a brand new world, where you can explore more...

That's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Frozen Planet, this screams "The Thing" to me.

Big Dead Space fan, so more of the same in a new setting with hopefully more scares will suit me just fine.

Hive Mind, still necromorphs so, wasn't the Hive Mind the end boss in DS1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I like the new setting. It should shake things up a bit for the game. Will be interesting to see what other details we'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sorry guys, did visceral games close or what's the deal here?

in any case i've almost finished DS2 and really enjoyed it, but v happy about the setting change. another dank corridor wouldn't be as great as just a fresh setting. much like Bioshock :)

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Frozen Planet, this screams "The Thing" to me.

Big Dead Space fan, so more of the same in a new setting with hopefully more scares will suit me just fine.

Hive Mind, still necromorphs so, wasn't the Hive Mind the end boss in DS1?

What I thought too. I love Dead Space 1 and 2, but they got very samey fast. The scares and story line is why I primarily played this title.

Just hope they don't include any online with this one. I don't think this is suited to it. I haven't played 2 online at all!

"The Thing" setting sounds awesome to me :)
    chin_grin wrote: »
    I haven't played 2 online at all!

Nor have i, that EA terms of service hassling you to give em what they want everytime i boot up DS2 put me right off. You can't have my info :mad:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'd definitely be interested to see what they do with the new setting. While the first one was scarier, the second one was still absolutely excellent and had it's fair share of scares as well.

The new setting could mix things up a bit if there's open areas where you can't see much. Either way, I thought they did a great job with the last 2 games, so I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I was disappointed at first to hear about the new setting. But then I came to my senses. I'm sure they're just gonna put you in a blizzard so you wont be able to tell which way the necromorphs are coming from, queue scares galore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Needs more Kurt Russell tbh :pac:

I hope they still find a way to do more zero g parts. They really improved them in DS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I hope they still find a way to do more zero g parts. They really improved them in DS2.

Yeah actually. They had one of the best set pieces in the zero G part where you were alligning the solar panels. That was awesome.
    If the third one is set on a planet though then there probably wont be any of that.

I will never forget that bit in two. Where the elevator is shot and the only way back is to fall back down. My face did this -> :eek:

To be honest I think they perfected the controls of zero g in DS2. I just don't want them to rely too heavily on their "tricks". Like "pick up this, move it here, float over there, switch that". Gets very repetitive.

What did bug me is that they threw out the upgradable rig thing and just gave him new suits which had certain effects. Pros and cons. I didn't like that. It gave it a sort of rpg feel that I didn't want in a horror/action game.

Weapon wise they can throw out the mine-thing (forgot the name of it) and the flamethrower. Who used those? Really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh god no! The DS1 zero g bit were vastly superior. There was a sense of weight (or lack thereof) and restricted movement that made them a beautiful change of pace.

In DS2, the zero g bits were just another locale to shoot necromorphs in, albeit with 360 degree movement.

I eventually liked the lack of gravity in DS2 for what it was, but it was one (of a few) mechanics the sequel 'evolved' and lost uniqueness in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Once they include my beloved Seeker rifle I'm in!
    That beauty got me through Hardcore mode. I actually played DS2 before DS, so I felt naked without it the whole game.

Morpork wrote: »
    Once they include my beloved Seeker rifle I'm in!
    That beauty got me through Hardcore mode. I actually played DS2 before DS, so I felt naked without it the whole game.

Plasma Cutter is where it's at. I didn't get the "one gun" achievement for nothing!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Plasma Cutter is where it's at. I didn't get the "one gun" achievement for nothing!

I agree and disagree. In DS1, yes the PC is where it's at. Best gun in the game. The one gun trophy was a breeze. However in DS2 the Seeker is miles better. If anything it's over powered.

The PC is an "every gun". Useful is every situation, however it doesn't shine in any particular area. The seeker however shines with it's power and accuracy. All you need to do is upgrade the alt fire to max, and then when you have spare nodes, upgrade the cap. Only ever use it scoped. It one shots everything except the dark creatures.
    It goes:
    Normal necro = 1 shot anywhere
    Dark necro = 2 shots to the body
    Brutes = 3 shots to weak spots

With the darks my favourite thing to do was put it in stasis, one shot it's limb off, instantly TK it into it's face and kill it. It's possible to do it without stasis too. So 1 bullet is all you need. How many shots does it take with the PC to down a dark? You can kill way faster with the SR and ammo is plentiful. So why use a gun that is less accurate, and a lot weaker?

I removed all nodes from the PC and stored it just before the elevator ride with the tripods on my hardcore run. I used the SR for pretty much the entire hardcore run. SR completely replaces the PC.

I have to admit though, on my first playthrough I didn't like the SR and didn't use it at all. Then I tried it again on the Zealot run and fell in love. I used the PC and SR equally. Then on hardcore I was forced to make a choice and it was an easy one. ^^ Hmm.... I'm gonna have to get a hold of this game again!

My loadout on DS2 ended up being the Javelin Gun (maxed out - electricity + blast) and pop gun for back-up; Detonator mines placed down before i survey the room; always carry the contact beam just for the $$$ ammo :)

Just beat it today. Wunderbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

including Ellie from the first game

I thought she first appeared in number 2. Was she in Dead Space 1?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Nope she wasn't.

DS1
    Benjamin Mathius • Challus Mercer • Chen • Isaac Clarke • Jacob Temple • Johnston • Kendra Daniels • Nicole Brennan • Survivor Encounters • Terrence Kyne • Zach Hammond

DS2
    Aleef Shehadeh • ANTI • Colin Price • Daina Le Guin • Foster Edgars • Ellie Langford • Franco Delille • Hans Tiedemann • Isaac Clarke • Mikel Vlastnik • Nicole Brennan • Nolan Stross • Overseer • Survivor Encounters • Victor Bartlett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

That's some list!

Looking forward to this, I'd welcome a change in setting, could really be refreshing if they did it right... It'd be cool to have Isaac going from abandoned caves/buildings to seeing vistas of the planet through windows/the odd open-air environment, I loved the huge flashes of the Sprawl you got through the windows in DS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Some two player Co-op would be nice, the other player gets to be Ellie

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Some two player Co-op would be nice, the other player gets to be Ellie

And if you play as Ellie, half the screen should be obscured due to her lack on an eye!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

i quite liked the multiplayer in DS2. It wasnt greatly balanced, but that depended on the map and which team you were on. Some maps had narrow hallways leading to the objective which was great if you were necro but just impossible if you were trying to get through. Also the inclusion of the extra game on the disc was fantastic. I hope they do someting similar this time.

Necro-Baby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

jaykhunter wrote: »
    My loadout on DS2 ended up being the Javelin Gun (maxed out - electricity + blast) and pop gun for back-up; Detonator mines placed down before i survey the room; always carry the contact beam just for the $$$ ammo :)

Just beat it today. Wunderbar!

The Javelin gun is the king of weapons.

Maybe she was in Dead Space Extraction?

Anyone played DS2 : Severed? I watched a review and basically poo-poo'ed it. Is it long? Worth the cash?

Maybe she was in Dead Space Extraction?

Anyone played DS2 : Severed? I watched a review and basically poo-poo'ed it. Is it long? Worth the cash?

Its ok, cool ending to it. I was shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Maybe she was in Dead Space Extraction

I don't think she was. Probably just a mistake in the article.

• Advertisement

I don't think she was. Probably just a mistake in the article.

Nope Ellie was only in DS2.

There was a different girl in Extraction but
    she dead!

Advertisement