Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Day 1 DLC packs announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

muff03 wrote: »
    Day 1 DLC packs announced.
    Dead Space 3 will launch with 11 pieces of day one DLC available, offering services ranging from speeding up loot collection to new suits and weapons for Isaac.

F*ck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

sheehy83 wrote: »
    F*ck sake

Buy more stuff to speed up the completion of the game you paid for.
    Heard it all now.

I look forward to my struggle at completing it on a hard difficult.

Could never beat DS2 on its hardest though, that limited to 3 saves was just too unforgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Some info on the different modes:

Classic mode ditches the crosshairs and brings back the DS1 style of aiming. Weapons can't be crafted, instead you find blueprints (like the schematics) and then purchase them at the bench.

Hardcore mode uses the auto-save feature of DS3 because of the co-op which allows players to quit the game at any time and restart at the latest checkpoint. However, if you die you go back to the start of the game. So it's 1 life only.

Pure Survival mode makes the enemies drop resource parts only. There are no health packs or ammo or weapon parts anywhere in the game. You have to craft everything at benches.

I'm happy with these modes, but I'm a bit disappointed with the ability to save-scum in hardcore mode. Devs confirmed it possible. I love hardcore mode though, so I'm going to do it legit.

Hardcore and Pure Survival modes sound brutal.

Whats save-scum?

• Advertisement

Save-scumming involves quitting the game, backing up the save game data file and continuing with the game. If you die you can load the backed up file.

As for the DLC, other games have done it before, like Battlefield and Need for Speed and some others which I forget. Sure, it's similar to back in the day when you went out and bought a Game Genie and unlocked everything. I'm just going to ignore it and (hopefully) enjoy the game. :)

The only time I'd ever get annoyed over day 1 stuff is when it's story DLC. This stuff though I can forget about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Morpork wrote: »
    Save-scumming involves quitting the game, backing up the save game data file and continuing with the game. If you die you can load the backed up file.

If someone was going to do this, why even bother with hardcore mode?

Think i'll go Pure Survival myself. Sounds really tough, but would certainly keep you on your toes.

Kiith wrote: »
    If someone was going to do this, why even bother with hardcore mode?

Think i'll go Pure Survival myself. Sounds really tough, but would certainly keep you on your toes.

You can unlock stuff for beating hardcore mode. Not sure what though.
    Also, I can see trophy hunters who can't beat it fairly doing this making the rarity of the trophy false.

For me though, the thing that makes hardcore so special is the intensity it brings. So if you save-scum it loses that intensity.

Might go do a no-save hardcore run in DS2 now. :pac:

Might go do a no-save hardcore run in DS2 now. :pac:

Good luck with that. I gave up at the elevator I think.
    You playing on the 360? You can kinda gain 1 extra save by completing the 1st disc by not saving the game at all, then if you die, you just restart at the start of Disc 2 still with 3 saves remaining.

I had to use a save before the disc change if I remember correctly, obviously I aint hardcore enough.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Good luck with that. I gave up at the elevator I think.
    You playing on the 360? You can kinda gain 1 extra save by completing the 1st disc by not saving the game at all, then if you die, you just restart at the start of Disc 2 still with 3 saves remaining.

I had to use a save before the disc change if I remember correctly, obviously I aint hardcore enough.

I'm on PS3. That's a cool trick though, even though it's kinda cheating haha.

For the elevator I either seeker rifle, or detonator mine them. Both are one hit kills. Just keeping running around in circles so you don't get blind sided.

Think I'm going with dual Seeker rifle + scope and stasis tip for DS3 as my weapon of choice. +2 damage to every chip thingy too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

The only time I'd ever get annoyed over day 1 stuff is when it's story DLC. This stuff though I can forget about.

The Mass Effect 3 dlc on release with the prothean character took the biscuit, previous 2 games intrigued you with this ancient advanced spacefaring race that supposedly created the citadel and were wiped out by some unknown entity. You could actually have one on your team if you paid extra for it, the developers said it didn't have anything to do with the story :rolleyes:
    It had everything to do with the story!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

It wasn't main storyline essential though. He was an additional squad mate that just changes a few lines of dialogue during missions. He didn't reveal anything new in that regards who the reapers where or why they did what they did and he wasn't required to beat them, he just some information on what the protheans where like and some funny dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

You can unlock stuff for beating hardcore mode. Not sure what though.

Hope its like the bonus you got for beating DS2 on Hardcore, the Hand Cannon.

As for the DLC, apart from the stuff connected to weapon crafting (where you can, you know, not buy it) the rest is armour skins and such. But both DS 1 and 2 had tons of skin packs out at release too :confused:

So Dead Space 1 is a terrible, money grubbing scam then? Huh, and here I was thinking people liked that game :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dead space 1 had significantly less Bro than this looks like

im not gona play DS3 partly because I don't really like the direction the series has taken since DS2 but also because i'm deathly afraid midway through the game I'm going to dismember a necromorph and there'll be a game failing QTE where I have to brofist my ai partner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Plan for today: get past that stupid asteroid part in dead space 1 so I can move onto 2 and then get number 3.

DeSelby, try and only use both cannons on the big ones, keeps the gun from overheating

im not gona play DS3 partly because I don't really like the direction the series has taken since DS2 but also because i'm deathly afraid midway through the game I'm going to dismember a necromorph and there'll be a game failing QTE where I have to brofist my ai partner

Hrm....if the demo is anything to go by, the single player just has Isaac alone all the time, with Carver showing up at random points to pull the story along like people did in the first 2 games. From what I have read in previews, its not like Gears of War of Army of Two where there is an AI in control of Carver at all times, think you have to select "Co-op Campaign" to get that. Will nose round the demo settings to see how a co-op is setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Until I watched that Foam Finger vid, Id forgotten how much like Tom Cruise the guy's voice sounds like. So its like running around with the scientologist in a hokey horror/action flim of his.

Another reason to avoid!

• Advertisement

DeSelby, try and only use both cannons on the big ones, keeps the gun from overheating

i tried this so many times that it put me off the game, hadnt played it in months out of frustration. did it on my second go this morning :D now to finish it

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Hrm....if the demo is anything to go by, the single player just has Isaac alone all the time, with Carver showing up at random points to pull the story along like people did in the first 2 games. From what I have read in previews, its not like Gears of War of Army of Two where there is an AI in control of Carver at all times, think you have to select "Co-op Campaign" to get that. Will nose round the demo settings to see how a co-op is setup.

Yeah in co-op both players stay together, but whoever is Carver sees things a little differently at times due to his dimensia, things will be on Carver's screen that aren't on Isaac's. Looks good, but I think I'll play single player first, and then do co-op as Carver.
    Res 5 was fun co-op but, especially with headsets, completely killed any tension the game might have created.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Any prices listed yet for Gamestop or xtravision

Apparently there is a 4th mode - Retro mode - which is unlocked by
    beating hardcode mode.

No idea what the mode involves though. Anybody got info on it?

OK, Retro mode is just a filter.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img826/2609/img0253p.jpg

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Plan for today: get past that stupid asteroid part in dead space 1 so I can move onto 2 and then get number 3.

I had to turn the sound off, every time the guy on the radio would shout a percentage at me, I would mess it up.

Went back to it before DS2 came out, and did it no problem, after having loads of trouble the previous year, and eventually gave up on it.

I did give up on DS2 and its 3 saves playthrough, if I was struggling at half way, no way would I get past the finale.

Finally got past it so I'm starting get through it now. Great game

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I had to turn the sound off, every time the guy on the radio would shout a percentage at me, I would mess it up.

Went back to it before DS2 came out, and did it no problem, after having loads of trouble the previous year, and eventually gave up on it.

I did give up on DS2 and its 3 saves playthrough, if I was struggling at half way, no way would I get past the finale.

Actually in my opinion DS2 hardcore mode gets progressively more difficult until chapter 9 where it starts to get progressively easier. Once you get over that hump you should have plenty of health and ammo and your weapons of choice nicely upgraded. There are one or two difficult parts late on but nothing your massive arsenal can't handle.
    I've beaten hardcore mode 5 times, so if you want some advice just ask. :)

Tried the HC mode once, got to chapter 2 before dying, on of those damn explosive arm guys running at me and tons of luggage in the way meant I kept missing his arm.

Might play through the 2 games again once I get DS3.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Tried the HC mode once, got to chapter 2 before dying, on of those damn explosive arm guys running at me and tons of luggage in the way meant I kept missing his arm.

Might play through the 2 games again once I get DS3.

For that section you should go to the end of the room near the exit door, then run all the way back to the far left corner and turn to face them. It's the safest place and you have a good line of sight. Aim for the explosive polyp as soon as you see them, or stasis them and shoot their arm to detach it if they get too close.

Advertisement