Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Here's a recap video for the story so far for any one (like me ) that forgot what had happened in the story in 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Morpork wrote: »
    9.5 from Polygon
    http://www.polygon.com/game/dead-space-3/2886#review_update_3702367

The guy who wrote it thinks Dead Space 2 is one of the best games this gen and I agree with him.
    I think if you like DS2 you'll like DS3.

I played DS2 before DS1, and I much preferred DS2.

A lot of people say DS1 was scary and DS2 lost a lot of that atmosphere and scariness, but I feel the opposite it true.
    I believe most people feel that way solely because they played DS1 first and they got used to the game and when DS2 came around
    it wasn't unknown to them anymore and thus less scary. Now with DS3 everyone is saying it's just action and not scary.
    Well, when I first played DS2 I **** my pants, but now it isn't scary one little bit. Not even tense or atmospheric.

Of course, this is just my guess as I haven't played DS3 yet. I'm picking it up tomorrow and playing it co-op with a friend on the weekend.
    I think I'll like it though.

Dead Space 1 is a survival horror. Dead Space 2 while keeping some of the elements from 1 moved away from this and became a corridor shooter for the most part.

The original had atmosphere in abundance. A constant feeling of isolation where the scares came from the tension built from the setting, the atmosphere and the fantastic use of sound. It was also a proper "survival horror" in the respect that weapons, ammo and health were scarce and never in abundance which also added to the overall tension of the game. The 2nd had less of pretty much all of this and went bigger on action, guns, enemies and set pieces!

Dead Space 2 while still a very good game just wasn't a patch on the original unfortunately as it lost most of it's appeal moving away from the survival horror foundations built by the first and now 3 has uprooted itself completely by the looks of things. It's such a pity, I was and still am a massive fan of the original and it's one of my favourite games this gen but I won't be picking this up until the price drops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dead Space 1 was never a survival-horror game, its an action game with horror elemenets, just like DS 2 and 3!

-You could buy ammo, health and weapons in DS1.
    -If you didnt piss around shooting at every shadow and throughly searched each room there was plenty of ammo and health.
    -You couldnt run from fights, you were locked in a room till everything was dead.
    -Isaac was pretty damn well equipped (selection of guns, kinesis if ya ran short, stasis to get out of bad situations).
    -You walked through corridors and shot things.....yet not a corridor shooter :confused:

Oh, it had a slight edge over the following 2 games in terms of tension, but all 3 are corridor shooters. Playing DS3 right now and loving it, has some great set-piece moments. Not touched the co-op as none of my friends have got it yet :(

Why cant it be a good game in its own rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Any game that rewards kills with ammo and resources isn't a 'survival'-horror in my book. There needs to be a very strict limit on resources. Dead Space 1 isn't like that.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure it had one of those dynamic difficulty settings where the game becomes easier the crappier you play. RE4 had that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Dead Space 1 was never a survival-horror game, its an action game with horror elemenets, just like DS 2 and 3!

-You could buy ammo, health and weapons in DS1.
    -If you didnt piss around shooting at every shadow and throughly searched each room there was plenty of ammo and health.
    -You couldnt run from fights, you were locked in a room till everything was dead.
    -Isaac was pretty damn well equipped (selection of guns, kinesis if ya ran short, stasis to get out of bad situations).
    -You walked through corridors and shot things.....yet not a corridor shooter :confused:

Oh, it had a slight edge over the following 2 games in terms of tension, but all 3 are corridor shooters. Playing DS3 right now and loving it, has some great set-piece moments. Not touched the co-op as none of my friends have got it yet :(

Why cant it be a good game in its own rights?

On the hardest difficulty ammo was far from plentiful. Yes you could buy it but then you are wasting badly needed upgrade resources!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What really annoyed me about Dead Space 2 was just how diluted it was. Your first encounter with those 'hiding' Necromorphs was great. Less great on the fourth, fifth, tenth encounter, no matter how much they mixed it up. It lacked surprise bar a handful of memorable set pieces. It was just another bloated, bland corridor shooter with many monster closets and a couple of zero-g sections thrown in (and I must be alone in preferring the more claustrophobic, purposefully clunky zero-g of DS1).

Dead Space 1 may have been derivative of many cinematic and gaming influences, but I was engaged and involved from beginning to end. Dead Space 2's biggest crime for me was that by the midway point I just didn't care anymore. It was just full of lackluster level design and repetition, and no matter how solid the central mechanics were I simply felt like I was wasting my time. From what I'm hearing, then, Dead Space 3 isn't for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing through this at the moment, still quite early in the game but I'm not enjoying it as much as 1 & 2.

Dunno, I found 1 & 2 scary (I'm a wuss when it comes to horror games) but 3 just feels too military-ish.

The great fun in the first one was figuring out how to kill the different necromorphs through a bit of trial and error. That was pretty much gone in 2 and totally gone in 3. Very little challenge in 3 at all.More than half way through and bored ****less, just grinding through so can complete it and delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

€33 here, I've used them before and they are legit. Don't know if you can get it cheaper?

http://www.g2play.net/store/Dead-Space-3-EA-Origin-Key.html

• Meatwad wrote: »
    The great fun in the first one was figuring out how to kill the different necromorphs through a bit of trial and error. That was pretty much gone in 2 and totally gone in 3. Very little challenge in 3 at all.More than half way through and bored ****less, just grinding through so can complete it and delete it.
    I bet your playing on normal, I'm playing on hard and have died at least 10 times
    Got damn regenerators make me so tense

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I bet your playing on normal, I'm playing on hard and have died at least 10 times
    Got damn regenerators make me so tense

Yup, started on normal cause some one told me it was abit like diablo,as in the main fun was building the character up and playing through multiple times.Partly regretting it but glad at the same time cause not overly enamoured with it.If I threw in abit of rage I'd probably really hate the fecker. Hopefully the last few chapters will redeem it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Completed ds3 last night on hard, took about 20 hours with all the side missions thrown in.
    Found it quite easy, by the end of it my weapons were lethal and ammo in abundance, i'm a bit of pack rat and like to suss out all the goodies in the dark corners.

It's a great game imo, ds1+2 are better yeah but it's still a quality game.
    Story got uninteresting after Dead Space 1 but the gameplay holds it you in for ds3

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

KilOit wrote: »
    Completed ds3 last night on hard, took about 20 hours with all the side missions thrown in.
    Found it quite easy, by the end of it my weapons were lethal and ammo in abundance, i'm a bit of pack rat and like to suss out all the goodies in the dark corners.

It's a great game imo, ds1+2 are better yeah but it's still a quality game.
    Story got uninteresting after Dead Space 1 but the gameplay holds it you in for ds3

Wow 20 Hours? Is it really that long or are you one of those people who checks every crack and crevice(like me:)). The past two games seemed about 5-8 hours from what I can remember.

I loved DS1 and really enjoyed DS2(never touched the multiplayer), so looking to pick this up. Will prob wait for the inevitable price cut though.

If you do the side mission, plus searching around for prime scavange spots for your ickle droids, I could see it approaching 20 hours. About 55% way through and clocking near 9 hours myself with only 4/10 of them finished.

Plus 4 extra game modes unlock when you beat it so a lot of potential replayability.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If you do the side mission, plus searching around for prime scavange spots for your ickle droids, I could see it approaching 20 hours. About 55% way through and clocking near 9 hours myself with only 4/10 of them finished.

Plus 4 extra game modes unlock when you beat it so a lot of potential replayability.

Colour me impressed, its rare for single player focused games these days to have that kind of replayability.

Whats the story with the side missions? Are they within the campaign, or do you do them separately?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah there done during the campaign. You might here a broadcast in the background or a crew member might tell you about it and where to go to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

Getting a bit more into it now.
    I like just floating around space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Playing Co-op with a mate Saturday morning. Was pretty hammered. I must have died about 120 times on that bit when you're falling through space. My mate got pretty pissed with me (non-drinkers eh?) but in the end we were both falling round laughing. I got spawn killed several times it was just unreal. We're four hours in and that part cost us about an hour.
    Really enjoy the game but I've got a crappy gun and haven't worked out how to use the bench properly yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Got my hands on DS3 this morning, Captain Chaos called it right with Amazon. I've been really enjoying it so far, at chapter 6 starting the optional mission. I'm loving the setting, missing the creepiness a bit. On hard mode, and I've died a fair bit because I keep forgetting what my guns do! Gonna start messing with the line gun and see what I can conjur up.

The audio logs are really the only thing I'm a bit meh with so far. I'm a big fan of Temple's side story in DS1, the whole following in his footsteps was great. We'll see how that comes along yet.

Happy enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just completed single player took me about 18hours with the side missions done aswell

I enjoyed it i did get tensed up in parts like 1+2 do the very last side mission thats a great one
    I did get proper creeped out at parts

The snow setting where cool and did the tricks for some parts

The coop was not as intrusive as i thought it was going to be which i loved Resident evil take note this is how you do it!! Lol

So i guess thats it for this chapter of dead space the next one will be a next gen game now im guessing they will massively shake that one up

It was a great trilogy very well done

• Advertisement

Started a new game playing True Survival, pretty tough at times if you run out of ammo, done more kinesis based kills in the first hour than in the whole of my first playthrough :p Hard to make the decision on what to upgrade, Semi-conductors seem to be the biggest gate as weapon + suit upgrades and attachements all use them and they are few and far between compared to Tungsten and Scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Got the game today and played an hour of it . Stunning visuals , good gameplay , plot isn't so good however .

I think looking back on the game now that iv finished it what this game could have done with was more new monsters

In 2 we had a good ammount of new shocking moments from the new monsters like the rapters, baby ,and child necros they brought some new great errie moments in that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Is this worth buying ? i went completely off the idea of paying ea money after the micro transaction stuff came to light but i loved ds and ds2 and have heard lots of good reviews so my will power is faltering SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO THINK i cant do it by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I never got into DS2....

Is it worth getting into it and carrying on to DS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I played about 4 hours co-op last weekend. Haven't had the time to go back. As someone who also loved DS1 and 2 I have to say it....is.....AWESOME!

go buy it Bizmark
    BizzyC if you liked DS1 you have to get DS2. You'ld pick it up real cheap now.

BizzyC wrote: »
    I never got into DS2....

Is it worth getting into it and carrying on to DS3?

No...its really like a massive add on campaign with a few slight improvements but more action orientated. I didn't particularly like it.I can see why some would like it.Its very polished and the gameplay mechanics are very good, but its just more of the same.I was just bored. Its a soulless sequel the same way as the COD series is.

Meatwad wrote: »

No...its really like a massive add on campaign with a few slight improvements but more action orientated. I didn't particularly like it.I can see why some would like it.Its very polished and the gameplay mechanics are very good, but its just more of the same.I was just bored. Its a soulless sequel the same way as the COD series is.

Really i thought ds2 was a very good sequel lots of new twists and monsters.

I thought it improved amd perfected the first in the same way that resident evil 2 did i wouldt call it souless though the art design of these games are amazing imo

biggebruv wrote: »
    Really i thought ds2 was a very good sequel lots of new twists and monsters.

I thought it improved amd perfected the first in the same way that resident evil 2 did i wouldt call it souless though the art design of these games are amazing imo

I liked DS2 but didn't love it.Felt it was too long and very repetitive.
    Agree on the art direction and the over all design and look of the game is very good but for me DS3 just felt empty.Couldn't empathise with the characters or get into the story.While its all constructed very well and looks great it just feels empty to me. Just couldn't get any emotional attachment to it and with the first 2 there were some brilliant fresh moments that I hadn't come across in other games, but in this one it felt like I had seen it all before and didn't really want to play it again.
    Like I said I can understand why people would like it but at the moment I just prefer playing games I can really feel an emotional attachment to with a fresh story and play something that would surprise me or at least excite me abit. I'm getting old now so after 30 years of gaming its getting harder and harder to impress me.Although saying that there's plenty of Indie games that have managed to do that so I can't understand how companies with massive budgets and a big workforce can't do the same if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm now 25% through the game , I feel that it lacks a variety of enemies and is very repetitive .

Advertisement