Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valid Protest Vote

Options
  • 26-09-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

If David Norris does not get elected is it a valid vote to start at 2 for subsequent choices? For instance
    2) Mc Guiness
    3) Higgins
    or am I stuck with the dilemma of either spoiling my vote or voting for someone I don't like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Vote for who you think will do the best job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lunar.wire wrote: »
    If David Norris does not get elected is it a valid vote to start at 2 for subsequent choices? For instance
    2) Mc Guiness
    3) Higgins
    or am I stuck with the dilemma of either spoiling my vote or voting for someone I don't like.

You are already spoiling you vote by starting your preferences at 2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If you look here there's an analysis of invalid votes from the general election. They are categorised as:

* Want of Official Mark

* First Preference not clearly indicated, including unmarked ballot papers

* First Preference indicated for more than one candidate

* Writing or mark by which voter could be identified

I think your plan to start at 2 would count as "First preference not clearly indicated."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

2) Mc Guiness
    3) Higgins

If you vote for Norris and he is eliminated then your vote will go to McGuinness if he is still in the race. If he is not in it at this stage your vote will go to Higgins. At least i think this is what you're asking. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Pity they don't have 'write-in' candidates like they do in US elections. That way you can write the name of anyone on the ballot without them needing to be nominated. It's obviously a lot less likely that the person will be elected if they are not on the ballot paper but there are examples where it has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you vote for Norris and he is eliminated then your vote will go to McGuinness if he is still in the race. If he is not in it at this stage your vote will go to Higgins. At least i think this is what you're asking. :confused:

The person is saying if they start at two, the first preference is for the person not nominated (i.e. Norris who could be the most popular candidate not to get nominated).

thebman wrote: »
    The person is saying if they start at two, the first preference is for the person not nominated (i.e. Norris who could be the most popular candidate not to get nominated).

I'm rightly confused now:confused: You cant possibly know who is the most popular person not to be nominated. Why on earth would some one start at 2 and think its ok to do so?

Pity they don't have 'write-in' candidates like they do in US elections. That way you can write the name of anyone on the ballot without them needing to be nominated. It's obviously a lot less likely that the person will be elected if they are not on the ballot paper but there are examples where it has happened.

In your example, Strom Thurmond had to be nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

2) Mc Guiness
    3) Higgins

No you have the choice of not voting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are already spoiling you vote by starting your preferences at 2
    Generally returning officers will allow this - general policy is to allow the vote unless there is a specific reason to disallow it. Any challenged papers will be set aside and argued by the candidates or their agents in front of the returning officer.

The following are valid and will be counted:
    1. Placing a tick, X or other mark opposite only one candidate. However, if the mark makes the vote recognisable, e.g. "Yes to Dustin" it will be considered spoilt.
    2. 1
    3. 3
    4. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    5. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    5. 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 - only the first choice (2) will be counted as the next choice can't be determined.
    6. ✔, x, x, x, x, x, x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Victor wrote: »
    Generally returning officers will allow this - general policy is to allow the vote unless there is a specific reason to disallow it.

Not doubting you, but can you tell us how you know? From personal experience counting votes?

Advertisement