Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar / Centra Special Offers not scanning!

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. Lately, it seems that every time I go to one of my local shops there are special offers plastered up everywhere but when you go to pay, the special offers dont scan through.

This is SO annoying if you are ina rush or buying a number of items as you have to watch everything scanning through like a hawk and argue with the shop assistant!

This honestly happens me nearly every time I go into either my local Spar or Centra and it is so offputting.

Im sure that there are loads of people who dont notice the items going through at the incorrect price and get ripped off....Grrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Happens constantly in my local Costcutter too. Yet the staff still give me evil looks when I ask for the receipt to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Happens constantly in my local Costcutter too. Yet the staff still give me evil looks when I ask for the receipt to check it.

Totally agree..they NEVER offer you a receipt so you cant check what you were charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I always ask for a receipt, even for the smallest buys. If I go to another shop carrying previous purchases in my bag, I like to have proof of payment with me. Or if anything is wrong with the item purchased.
    The other day, I went to my local Centra and spotted a special offer on a tub of carrot and parsnip mash from Mash Direct, 1 euro each. I had a few other items and the total exceeded my calculations, lo and behold the price for the mash was incorrect. However, the staff had no problem giving me a receipt when I asked and apologised for overcharging me even though it was technically not his fault

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I always ask for a receipt, even for the smallest buys. If I go to another shop carrying previous purchases in my bag, I like to have proof of payment with me. Or if anything is wrong with the item purchased.
    The other day, I went to my local Centra and spotted a special offer on a tub of carrot and parsnip mash from Mash Direct, 1 euro each. I had a few other items and the total exceeded my calculations, lo and behold the price for the mash was incorrect. However, the staff had no problem giving me a receipt when I asked and apologised for overcharging me even though it was technically not his fault

Of course its not the staff who are to blame and they do of course always refund me when I point it out. I just resent having to be a human calculator everytime I go in because I know they wont scan correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bangheadshot

closifer wrote: »
    This is a serious pet peeve of mine. Lately, it seems that every time I go to one of my local shops there are special offers plastered up everywhere but when you go to pay, the special offers dont scan through.

This is SO annoying if you are ina rush or buying a number of items as you have to watch everything scanning through like a hawk and argue with the shop assistant!

This honestly happens me nearly every time I go into either my local Spar or Centra and it is so offputting.

Im sure that there are loads of people who dont notice the items going through at the incorrect price and get ripped off....Grrr
    thats discracefull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bangheadshot

sew them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

This is a constant problem in Eurospar - I go to the one on Bath Ave, Dublin fairly often and the special offers almost never scan correctly. The staff there are very nice and are always happy to fix it but it is a pain in the a$$ having to constantly check.

I've spoken to a few of the staff members about it and they say they tell the management whenever there's a mistake but the managers don't care and won't fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Its the same with my local supervalu and centra - they are all run by the same company afaik - its brutal having to check every thing u buy. I can honestly say Lidl is the only shop i've never been over charged for something!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

nibtrix wrote: »
    I've spoken to a few of the staff members about it and they say they tell the management whenever there's a mistake but the managers don't care and won't fix it...

Why? Because they like to rip off the customers by charging them not the special price but a higher one. For every one customer like yourself who spots the scam, there must be 5 or 10 who don't check and get ripped off. :mad: :mad:

Same in Tesco - Double refund of the overcharge is never a problem, but it never gets fixed. :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is just another advertising scam by spar, centra, tesco etc etc they get the benefit of the advertising of offers but rarely have trhe correct prices at the till but most people dont realise until they are at home and dont do anything about it because they feel the shops make it so hard to sort it out.

The stores are counting on most people not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 airsofter2012

sew them .
    yeah you should sew them , or complain they might give you a free drink if u annoy them enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

happens a lot in the Eurospar where I live too, I always check with the receipt now. At least they have done something about it, if you are overcharged you get item for free.

oh, and sew is something you do with a needle and thread, sue is taking yer ass to court for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I was in my local Centra the other day buying a four pack of Karpackie. On the plastic it says 4 for €5 but on the offers board it said 4 for €4. So she scans the pack but the plastic doesn't cover the entire four pack and she accidentally scans the exposed barcode on a single can. Price comes up €1.60 (which is outrageous for a single can in any case). So we're both puzzled for a second and then it dawns on us her mistake. So bold as brass she simply multiplies the single can by four and tries to charge me 6.40 no problem to her.

So I said 'I don't think it works that way the offer said 4 for 4' and she says ah well the prices go up'. I knew for a fact she couldn't be arsed getting a manager with a till key to reverse the mistake or even acknowledge she had made one but worst of all she thought I was gonna fall for it. So I said 'but sure they're advertised at 4 for 4, they're marked 4 for 5 so it should be at least a fiver'. 'Oh right' says her so then she does the proper transaction.

More fool me if it wasn't for the fact that I had walked out the door with only the four euro in change I probably would have paid the 6.40 to avoid the embarrassment of holding up the line of people behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marielemen

The same thing happens to me every single time i go to SUPERVALU in Raheny. I have to look at the receipt for a few seconds, complain to the employee then to the manager, then finally go home with a 2 to 5 euros refund. I once paid 8 euros for a pack of basmati rice. It was meant to be around 2 euros. Anyway beware of Supervalu, its a super ripoff anyway, and check your receipt, because something tells me this repeated "errors" suit their pockets well.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Its the same with my local supervalu and centra - they are all run by the same company afaik

The stores are independently run, but supplied by the same company, Musgrave. Also just because one store is badly run doesn't mean they all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I was in my local Centra the other day buying a four pack of Karpackie. On the plastic it says 4 for €5 but on the offers board it said 4 for €4. So she scans the pack but the plastic doesn't cover the entire four pack and she accidentally scans the exposed barcode on a single can. Price comes up €1.60 (which is outrageous for a single can in any case). So we're both puzzled for a second and then it dawns on us her mistake. So bold as brass she simply multiplies the single can by four and tries to charge me 6.40 no problem to her.

So I said 'I don't think it works that way the offer said 4 for 4' and she says ah well the prices go up'. I knew for a fact she couldn't be arsed getting a manager with a till key to reverse the mistake or even acknowledge she had made one but worst of all she thought I was gonna fall for it. So I said 'but sure they're advertised at 4 for 4, they're marked 4 for 5 so it should be at least a fiver'. 'Oh right' says her so then she does the proper transaction.

More fool me if it wasn't for the fact that I had walked out the door with only the four euro in change I probably would have paid the 6.40 to avoid the embarrassment of holding up the line of people behind me.

That's disgraceful.Do you mind me asking which Centra this was. Send by PM if you prefer

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Its the same with my local supervalu and centra - they are all run by the same company afaik - its brutal having to check every thing u buy. I can honestly say Lidl is the only shop i've never been over charged for something!
    I thought SuperValue, Mace and Centra were franchise names?

That's disgraceful.Do you mind me asking which Centra this was. Send by PM if you prefer
    Centra, Clonroad, Ennis. Now don't get me wrong their prices are absolutely fantastic they just often fail to make the corrections at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

happens in my local spar , big signs up everywhere price on shelvs and get over charged , i say it too them and they refuse to honor the price saying its not on offer , and refuse even to check the signs right beside them

antocann wrote: »
    happens in my local spar , big signs up everywhere price on shelvs and get over charged , i say it too them and they refuse to honor the price saying its not on offer , and refuse even to check the signs right beside them
    Which is completely illegal as a good must be sold as advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Not so. In most cases, a price display in a shop is regarded as "an invitation to treat" rather than an offer or an advertisement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 boodles

This is unreal...

This happened to me twice in same Londis for same itmes. (purchased about 1 month apart).... not much of a coincidence is that then:eek:

That was about 3 months ago and not back since and won't be....

Not so. In most cases, a price display in a shop is regarded as "an invitation to treat" rather than an offer or an advertisement.
    So let me see if I understand this. A shop has a big sign saying 6 cans of Heineken only €10. In essence they're saying 'this is what you should offer we may or may not accept it?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Absolute rubbish.

Look up invitation to treat.

But it is wrong to have the wrong price up. The shop can be prosecuted for incorrect labelling.

Absolute rubbish.

Look up invitation to treat.

But it is wrong to have the wrong price up. The shop can be prosecuted for incorrect labelling.
    First of all there's no need to be so obnoxious. The thread was perfectly civil until you showed up AND if you bothered to read other posts you'd notice somebody else already corrected me on this and quite less rudely! I had never heard of Invitation to treat and am more than willing to stand corrected to someone with basic manners, as I did with the other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So let me see if I understand this. A shop has a big sign saying 6 cans of Heineken only €10. In essence they're saying 'this is what you should offer we may or may not accept it?'

Exactly that.

Unless they actually use the word "offer" in their sign. So if the sign reads "Special Offer: 6 cans of Heineken for €10" you can go to the checkout with the message "I accept your offer".

First of all there's no need to be so obnoxious. The thread was perfectly civil until you showed up AND if you bothered to read other posts you'd notice somebody else already corrected me on this and quite less rudely! I had never heard of Invitation to treat and am more than willing to stand corrected to someone with basic manners, as I did with the other poster.

If I came across obnoxious, I apologise. It was not meant that way but your post of

"Which is completely illegal as a good must be sold as advertised. "

IS complete rubbish. (as has been drawn out here on boards more times than I can remember) I have heard this hundreds of times over the years from people who dont know what they are talking about.

So I will rephrase it.

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. ;)

If I came across obnoxious, I apologise. It was not meant that way but your post of

"Which is completely illegal as a good must be sold as advertised. "

IS complete rubbish. (as has been drawn out here on boards more times than I can remember) I have heard this hundreds of times over the years from people who dont know what they are talking about.

So I will rephrase it.

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. ;)
    Yeah look maybe I was being a bit over sensitive. I was actually in hospital at the time and a bit stressed. The unfortunate thing is there are so many genuinely rude people on these boards it's easy to take for granted that someone else is being so. No harm done and I've learned something new:).

Yeah look maybe I was being a bit over sensitive. I was actually in hospital at the time and a bit stressed. The unfortunate thing is there are so many genuinely rude people on these boards it's easy to take for granted that someone else is being so. No harm done and I've learned something new:).

Thats actually spot on. Some people are so rude I feel like lamping them. "I KNOW MY RIGHTS" LOL

Take it easy, hope the hospital was nothing serious.

Cheers.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pricewatcher

:rolleyes:
    marielemen wrote: »
    The same thing happens to me every single time i go to SUPERVALU in Raheny. I have to look at the receipt for a few seconds, complain to the employee then to the manager, then finally go home with a 2 to 5 euros refund. I once paid 8 euros for a pack of basmati rice. It was meant to be around 2 euros. Anyway beware of Supervalu, its a super ripoff anyway, and check your receipt, because something tells me this repeated "errors" suit their pockets well.:(

I totally agrre with your comments same thing happened to me many many times at supervalu did complain got my money back went in again got overcharged AGAIN..and still the saga goes on.:rolleyes:.Ive quit shopping there now go to lidl now and I must say their prices are always right ..Well done Lidl..keep up the good work and excellent customer service too. :D

Advertisement