Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESDF - Why isn't this the norm?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

http://www.use-esdf.org/

It makes a lot of sense, freeing up the pinky and being in the natural typing position. This almost comparable to the migration from cursor keys to WSAD!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I disagree. With my ring finger changed to S

- Z requires too much effort
    - Ctrl, Shift and Caps are too awkward
    - Only viable options are '|' and 'A'

- Number access starts at 2 as opposed to 1

Ring finger at current 'A'
    -Ctrl , Shift and Caps are reachable

-Number access is easy from 1 onwards

The reasons give on that site are

+ Provides access to more surrounding keys
    Not necessarily true as above

+ Natural Typing position
    My natural typing position has now changed to accomodate my usual AWSD, so that is my natural position

+ Offers left hand mouse users a bit more freedom
    How many left hand mouse users are there ? I know that nearly all left handed people I know use their right hand for the mouse

+ Real Gamers won't consider you a newb
    This makes no sense, it's n00b !! and we would

+ Only sheep use WASD. Are you a sheep?
    BBBbbbbaaaaaaaaa !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used to swear by the arrow keys, but i've moved to WASD now. It's just easier, and it's generally the default. I do change some controls though, such as jump to middle mouse (old habit).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm assuming the website is a pisstake, right? Please let it be a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

humanji wrote: »
    I'm assuming the website is a pisstake, right? Please let it be a pisstake.
    You've seen youtube comments right? You should know there is indeed this kind of rampant silliness online!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Elrollo wrote: »
    You've seen youtube comments right? You should know there is indeed this kind of rampant silliness online!
    Oh it's too early in the morning for me to be able make judgement calls under my own power.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Oh it's too early in the morning for me to be able make judgement calls under my own power.
    haha, grab a cuppa tea then and take it easy, sure its only tuesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

E A D F works best for me

i have shovels for hands tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

IJKL is my favoured layout in recent times. Arrows was fine until I ran out of keys, but I'll still use it for the simple control games.

WASD is too far to the left and not enough surrounding keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They're all abominations, tbh.

3311380818_5a4a9e6523.jpg
    Snes D-Pad by Peter Leigh Photography©, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

my little finger (pinky.. pfft), is border line spasticated. z,x,\,ctrl, & shift is pretty much all it can be trusted with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i am not a sheep :(

WSAD was how I learned how to play fps on PC, before it was arrows, like an old dog, I shall not be learning a new trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Don't be absurd, everyone knows yfgh is where it's at, right slap bang in the middle of the keyboard for easy access to everything.

Used to use the arrow keys but ended up with wasd as that was the default setting, now I can't use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Home, DELETE, End, page down like a boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Standalone numpad + mouse.

TomCo wrote: »
    Standalone numpad + mouse.
    Xbox pad connected to your PC like a boss!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been using RDFG for over 10 years now, the flexibility of having quick access to more keys made it an obvious choice. I can quickly and instinctively reach 3 4 5 W E A S \ Z T Y H J B N which combined with MOUSE 4 & 5 means I've got pretty much every option covered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    They're all abominations, tbh.

3311380818_5a4a9e6523.jpg
    Snes D-Pad by Peter Leigh Photography©, on Flickr

Pfft... Japanese Saturn pad is far superior.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pfft... Japanese Saturn pad is far superior.
    dreamcast-controller-1vcm-460.jpg
    :scoff: the Dreamcast controller is where its at these days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An abonimation based on the superior Saturn 3D pad :P

• Advertisement

how dare you! It's got a wee screen on it, therefore making it a markedly superior peripheral than the puny Saturn controller :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

wasd works for most simple action fps games for more detailed games or mmos esdf is better as you need those hotkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SeantheMan wrote: »
    + Natural Typing position
    My natural typing position has now changed to accomodate my usual AWSD, so that is my natural position
    Natural Typing Position is ASDF - JKL:

You might have noticed the notches on your F and J keys, indicating where your index fingers should be at rest for natural typing position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only time I've seen people advocate ESDF is in wow for arena pvpers. It was just so they had more keys for classes that use a lot of macros in arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've always used the arrow keys plus a combination of right ctrl, right shift, enter, mmb, num 0 for crouch, run, use, jump, various. This is a very old habit going back maybe 12 years or more so I'm not inclined to change now. It's caused me minimal fuss save for having to faff about at the control menu but since I've done it so much, I can do it in double quick time.

Advertisement