Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or wait?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I built myself a PC in March 2010 with the following specs:

Processor: i7 930
    GFX: XFX 5970 Black Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Ram: 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz
    PSU: Corsair 850W
    HDD: Crucial 128GB SSD
    Case: Antec 902

I've been quite dissatisfied with the 5970, the drivers in particular. Always seem to have some problem with them (particularly microstuttering), especially in BC2 and SC2 which are the main games I play. I've a 26 inch monitor, so I play in 1920x1200. Any suggestions, or should I just leave it be as is and wait another year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

I wouldn't bother TBH, maybe next year you could replace your GPU when the new range of Nvidia/AMD cards are released.. Hard to see where you could gain any notable improvment over your current spec otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hmm... if you could locate an old HD5870 going cheap somewhere and downclock it to HD5970 speeds you might solve the microstutter issues - AMD always optimise Crossfire for raw FPS, but CrossFireX3 isn't so a third GPU would give a low FPS increase but iron out the stability issues. Otherwise your rig is fine as-is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

Figured as much :( Thanks for the advice guys, I guess the main thing I was considering doing was swapping out the 5970 for a Geforce of some kind, what card would give similar levels of performance, a GTX 580? Might wait and see how it handles BF3

Advertisement