Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD over Cat 5e / Cat 6

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi All,

Currently in the middle of a new build and I'm going to cable up the whole house (Cat 5e or Cat 6), but I was wondering if anyone has done a similar thing and successfully run HD over Cat 5e or Cat 6? if so how they went about it and what was the quality like.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am using a HDMI to 2 x cat5 cables like this and a HDMI splitter so that I can watch the Sky+ HD box in the bedroom, works great and the quality is the same as if by HDMI so there is no loss, just make sure to use shielded cat5 cable as my cable runs through the hot press as part of its cable run and when someone clicks the light switch on the wall outside the signal drops for a split second, which is weird so I am thinking that shielded cable would fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've cat5e throughout mine, Cat5e does gigabit, you can stream HD on only 100Base-T ethernet, most bluray disks top out at about 28mbit, I think the bluray disk itself is capable of 55mbit. Some of the HD streaming boxes have only ethernet ports (Boxee Box). You'll be fine with whichever, cat6 is harder to terminate but does 10gigabit.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

HD over twin Cat5 can be done a lot cheaper than over a single cat5, understandable as over one cat5 is really a clever piece of kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 rob_

Just used HD over one Co-ax, great piece of kit. Cat5 is a doddle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

How are you managing that? I know gefen were working on a product that does that but still mega money (€700-€800) and not managing 1080p as of yet (obviously not an issue if its for SKY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

rob_ wrote: »
    Just used HD over one Co-ax, great piece of kit. Cat5 is a doddle!!

i'd love to hear more rob. :confused:

Advertisement