Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Devils Glen - current condition.

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I have not been here in nearly two years, last time was early 2010 when the road to the surfaced car park was badly damaged by ice, snow and the thaw.

A lot of the Woodland sculptures here are now missing or badly damaged - not by vandalism but just due to general wear and tear and the attentions of the last two winters no doubt. Are there any plans to restore them or this part of the "organic" nature of the art pieces? I was especially saddened to see that one of the works down by the river (a wooden tent-tunnel like structure) has fallen over the side and its partial remains lie beside the river half hidden under leaves and moss.

Also a lot of tree felling is going on near the castle - thankfully not on the scale of the usual Coillte "Scorched Earth" approach to tree felling. It appears to be a lot more selective - perhaps they are thinning out non-native specimens?

However it appears that the Seamus Heaney guff carved into stone at various points is completely unscathed - that will be there for generations yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've only been there occasionally in the last 2 years. I was wondering where the pine pole tent structure was gone.. I was running so didn't get a chance to look around last time I was there. The trails I used were in good nick. The road into the back car park was in dire condition with some crater sized potholes. It wouldn't take much work to bring it back to a decent spec. Presume its Coillte's to fix up.. whether theres a budget for that is anyone's guess.

Advertisement