Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop screen repair??

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

hi all
    my laptop recently suffered a drowning incident so i dried it out in the hot press-good to go!
    the day it worked again unfortuntaly it fell bouncing down the stairs and screen is now smashed into a million pieces.
    please advise, can i get this fixed? if so where in dublin and what is cost?
    should i just buy new laptop:(
    ii would like to keep old one as loads photos on the hard drive which i hadnt backed up.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

hi all
    my laptop recently suffered a drowning incident so i dried it out in the hot press-good to go!
    the day it worked again unfortuntaly it fell bouncing down the stairs and screen is now smashed into a million pieces.
    please advise, can i get this fixed? if so where in dublin and what is cost?
    should i just buy new laptop:(
    ii would like to keep old one as loads photos on the hard drive which i hadnt backed up.....

Similar thing happened to me, sent it down to a guy in cork to fix for 150e, post and packaging was inclusive in that, i will pm you details if ud like, did a good job, no complaints so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Plenty of people do it. Where are you? What size is the screen? What model is it?

Average screen repaired, is about €120. Some cost more. 17 inch screen can cost much less. It really depends on where you go.

Personally, i'd plug it into an external monitor, and use it that way for a couple of days, just to make sure that the water damage/crash down the stairs didn't do any other permanent damage.
    You may fork out €100+ on getting screen repaired, and then realise that the laptop only worked for 20 minutes.. Or any other problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sent my girlfriends NC10 off to brokenscreen.ie yesterday. €110 for collection in Dublin, repair and delivery to her house in the Midlands with a 12 month warranty. They also promised a 2 day turnaround.

Read good reports of them here and will post back when she receives it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Get a screen off ebay and do it yourself, not that hard, all you need is basics screwdrivers. replaced mine a few weeks ago screen was €65 off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sent my girlfriends NC10 off to brokenscreen.ie yesterday. €110 for collection in Dublin, repair and delivery to her house in the Midlands with a 12 month warranty. They also promised a 2 day turnaround.

Read good reports of them here and will post back when she receives it back.

Borkenscreen.ie just delivered her laptop back and it's working fine so thumbs up from me.

€110 all in for collection from Dublin, repair and delivery to the Midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Get a screen off ebay and do it yourself, not that hard, all you need is basics screwdrivers. replaced mine a few weeks ago screen was €65 off ebay.

i did this too just a matter of taking off a faceplate and a few screws..i did a mate of mine's too for €60.. if you go for this option tho i would advise you take out the old screen and note the connector's location and screen make otherwise you may end up ordering the wrong screen.. happened to me was a nightmare getting iy sent back and my money replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Thanks for the advice. I am in Dublin, northside!

We have a Toshiba satellite l500-19x. It is two years old but we had the hard drive replaced after a year.

How do i see if the hard drive is affected? Is it possible to plug it into another laptop? (please bear in mind i-obviously-am pretty stupid with computers!)

my hubbie is an electrician so although he not the best with computers either he could defo try the screen repair no bother!

Advertisement