Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvesting and storing potatoes

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Is now the time to dig up whatever potatoes that are still in the ground? Also i have a bit of a problem with wireworm this year and i dont want to store them in a pit in the garden where the wireworm are. Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'll be putting mine in a pit hopefully!

Here's a little reading I found:

books?id=Lt8xp4VSsLkC&pg=PA5&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2Xs3pjb30UuonCuc2I4jn1XPOunQ&ci=34%2C369%2C918%2C619&edge=0

I'll be using straw instead of the aforementioned turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

I stored mine in Hessian sacks last year. Make sure they are dry before putting them into the sacks, and careful not to bruise them when placing them in the sacks. The sacks should then be stored in a cool, dry place. I had them in a utility room so they escaped the winter freeze last year.

Caracol wrote: »
    I stored mine in Hessian sacks last year. Make sure they are dry before putting them into the sacks, and careful not to bruise them when placing them in the sacks. The sacks should then be stored in a cool, dry place. I had them in a utility room so they escaped the winter freeze last year.

Might I ask where you got the sacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

PM'd you the place where I got them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I'll be putting mine in a pit hopefully!

Here's a little reading I found:

books?id=Lt8xp4VSsLkC&pg=PA5&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U2Xs3pjb30UuonCuc2I4jn1XPOunQ&ci=34%2C369%2C918%2C619&edge=0

I'll be using straw instead of the aforementioned turf.

Cabbages were pitted too.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Cabbages were pitted too.

Aye, my father pits everything, its amazing you pull out some carrots and cabbage out of the pit a month of so after they were pitted and it was like they just came fresh out of the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Aye, my father pits everything, its amazing you pull out some carrots and cabbage out of the pit a month of so after they were pitted and it was like they just came fresh out of the ground!

Yeah, my dad's a fan of this too. Me, I prefer the sack method. I remember as a kid being amazed how these spuds 'would still work' after being pitted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Food was always stored underground in the old days because the tempereture stays fairly stable and cool. Came across purpose built bunker type cellars for this next to veg gardens in old houses.

But in a field where they could get soaked, nicked or vermin then that is no good and probably only done because they had no other way.

Advertisement