Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security equipment & the law.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Without naming names a Kildare based alarm company made a major settlement revenue this year.
    The psa also state that they are working with revenue on the matter.
    The revenue are also present when the psa carry out inspections.
    Chances are that illegally installed alarms are usually installed for cash

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jnealon wrote: »
    Without naming names a Kildare based alarm company made a major settlement revenue this year.

I'm sure you are correct. But that would have been for non payment of tax, not for installing alarms illegally.

The psa also state that they are working with revenue on the matter.
    The revenue are also present when the psa carry out inspections.
    Chances are that illegally installed alarms are usually installed for cash

Revenue will want tax paid by anyone that does alarm work regardless of licenses. Licensing and tax payment are very separate issues. Revenue are only interested in the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

2011 wrote: »
    I would not think that there is enough tax evasion from alarm installation work by (licensed and unlicensed) alarm installers to justify the financial costs of a Revenue investigation.
    Yes tax evasion.
    There is a memorandum of understanding between the two agencies, not very effective from what I can see but it exists none the less

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jnealon wrote: »
    Yes tax evasion.
    There is a memorandum of understanding between the two agencies, not very effective from what I can see but it exists none the less

If the PSA are working with the Revenue Commissioners I suspect that some licensed alarm installers may also be found to be "creative" with their accounts.

Revenue are only interested in collecting as much tax as possible from whoever they can. Their interest in this primary objective applies equally to licensed and unlicienced intruder alarm installers.

It should be noted that it is possible to illegally install an intruder alarm and pay tax. Equally it is possible for a licensed alarm installer to avoid paying tax for a portion of work.

The truth is that the recession is causing the black economy to thrive. I find that more and more people are offering to do work cash in hand, even those working for legitimate companies.

Advertisement