Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - can they do this?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

I have the Bord Gais meter installed at my house. It's a 'pay as you go' system, where you top up your card by X amount, stick it in the machine and you have X amount of 'credit'. I find it incredible and wish I could pay all my bills this way!

Anyway, I didn't use the card over the winter and went to top up two weeks ago - I had lost the card and had to purchase another one at the shop, bring it home to insert it in the machine to 'register' the card. A few days later, I topped up what I thought was this new card - in fact, it was the old card which had magically reappeared:rolleyes:

The 50euro credit I had just put on the old card would not register, so I rang the very nice people at BG who said I had to send in the card to their postal address, and within 2/3 days the credit would reappear on my machine.

No sign of the credit after one week so I rang them yesterday. They told me that I can't get the 50euro credit back onto the system until I top up 3 more times. The minimum top-up is 10euro so the girl suggested I put another 30euro on the card (3 x 10s) and hey presto, I would get my 50euro back.

I know this is a bit of a long-winded story and thanks for reading, and I'm wondering if BG can do this???? Technically, this is my 50euro and they won't give it back to me until I give them another 30euro:confused:

Comments

Similar situation before, in that we put money on the card (€50 I think, but not fully sure) in the shop, and then the reader at our house wouldn't recognise the card.

So we had to get a new card, and send the old one into BG so they could verify there was cash on it and it was no longer in use.

About two weeks later, i think, we were putting more money in and the €50 appeared on the machine. They never contacted us to say it was being added back on or anything, it just appeared there, and there was no communication between us after I sent the card back (just played the waiting game).

Anyway, reason I'm posting is to say that I was in a very similar situation and we topped up once(by €50, i think, though) in the gap between sending the card back and getting our money back, but they never actually asked us to top up by anything, and I certainly don't remember them mentioning anything about €30 being required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

God, that is really unbelievable, what is someone supposed to do with out heat/water and cooking while this card goes around the mail like a bomarang?

Was the issue that you topped up by €50, how do you avoid this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

The issue wasn't that I topped up by 50 - it was that I put the credit on the wrong card. And it's not necessarily 30euro that I have to top up by to get it back - it's that I have to top-up three times for it to be acknowledged!!

I haven't put any credit on the correct card yet, as the weather has improved and I'm using the emersion for hot water - I'll stick a tenner on it this weekend though and live in hope that the 50 will reappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Right gottcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

I work for this company and I'm gonna ask about thus on tues when I'm in. I've can't think of the reasoning for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks Jonevin - I have topped up with two x ten euros in the past week and still no sign of my 50! So it appears they can, and are doing it! Hopefully when I top up again, it will reappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

Sorry for taking so long to reply but yes this is a normal policy, I have sent An email to head office cork to find out why

Advertisement