Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild mushrooms and general foraging lesson

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I am a avid forager but only forage basic food stuffs such and would love to learn about mushrooms and other edible free foods. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in an hour or so outing with my husband and myself in the south Dublin/Wicklow area in the next few weekends to teach us? I cannot pay but can offer some bottles of homemade wine, blackberry crumble or chutney in return.

Gillian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

There's a mushroom hunt in Avondale most years:

http://www.mushroomstuff.com/asp/avondale_mushroom_hunt-objectid-1143-recordid-14-z-event.htm

If you want to treat yourselves, Rathasallagh have a dinner and mushroom hunt (and optional over night package). http://www.rathsallagh.com/section/MushroomHunt

I haven't gone on either of these but would normally be tempted if I was available those weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Goingcheep wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a avid forager but only forage basic food stuffs such and would love to learn about mushrooms and other edible free foods. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in an hour or so outing with my husband and myself in the south Dublin/Wicklow area in the next few weekends to teach us? I cannot pay but can offer some bottles of homemade wine, blackberry crumble or chutney in return.

Gillian

I doubt you will find anyone willing to help you due to the risk associated with 'shrooms. That being said i wish you look, and dont eat the red ones! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Mushroomstuff runs forages during the autumn
    http://www.mushroomstuff.com/

Mushroom foraging is a really interesting subject. I do not think you get enough calories out of mushrooms for foraging to be really useful bushcraft though.

The forum rules are quite strict to prevent threads descending into drug dens
    Any threads that may be used to discuss illegal activities (such as drug use) may be locked or deleted. If a thread is locked feel free to contact the moderators to argue your case.
    So to keep this thread open can we avoid talking about anything that might be dodgy?

cavedave wrote: »
    Mushroomstuff runs forages during the autumn
    http://www.mushroomstuff.com/

Mushroom foraging is a really interesting subject. I do not think you get enough calories out of mushrooms for foraging to be really useful bushcraft though.

The forum rules are quite strict to prevent threads descending into drug dens

So to keep this thread open can we avoid talking about anything that might be dodgy?

Who mentioned drugs? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^^^
    cavedave.

• Advertisement

ClimberC

Who mentioned drugs?

I did, but in a mention capacity not a use sense.

I did, but in a mention capacity not a use sense.

But that has absolutly no relivance to the thread, the op wants a foregin lession. No one here should/ will give advice on mushrooms due to the obvious dangers, never mind comment on the more recreational use of Fungi

ClimberC

But that has absolutly no relivance to the thread, the op wants a foregin lession. No one here should/ will give advice on mushrooms due to the obvious dangers, never mind comment on the more recreational use of Fungi

Fair point. Also I a not a mod so it is not my job to point out rules even if they are broken which they weren't.

Anyway back to the mycology

Fair point. Also I a not a mod so it is not my job to point out rules even if they are broken which they weren't.

Anyway back to the mycology

I feel mean now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TinfoilTinman

OP, buy a concise guide to fungi identification (they are massive books and if they are not don't buy them) even if you are going out with others. The identificaton process relies on a lot of features so make sure you only go for mushrooms that are hard to confuse with others; such as chicken-in-the-woods.

As for other free foods, you're a lot safer. Nettles, burdock, dandelion, blackberry, gooseberry, raspberry, elderberry etc. Oh and rosehips! You are better off looking up various plants you find to see if they are edible or part-edible. Be aware of the most toxic plants in your area too, in some cases you may have to avoid a plant located beside a toxic one (such as foxglove). Many plants are not entirely edible so always collect your haul and do a thorough identification before eating.

Finally, wild foods (even the edible ones after cleaning) can often disagree with people so be careful not to over-indulge with something you're not used to: chicken-in-the-woods is nototious for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Anyone else disappointed when they opened this thread? :)

Advertisement