Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Ace

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I am looking into picking up a Samsung galaxy ace as iphone is too pricey along wit galaxy s2 also don't want to sign up to a contract, does anyone have any insight into what their like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

boards.ie user Jackobyte posted his experience using it in this thread:

boards.ie > Tech > Consumer Electronics > Mobiles & PDAs > Android > Samsung Galaxy Ace

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71130772

That might help give you an idea. Nice phone, but the processing power is a bit underwhelming, just a notch above the Samsung Europa. The internal memory is also exactly the same as the Europa, not very generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

i had one for about 2 weeks. Sold it. Its an alright phone. I added a few quid and got a Nokia c7. Dont be fooled by iphone. Just because nearly everyone has one doesnt mean they are the best. The c7 is much better phone than Samsung ace. Just look up comparisons of the 2. Dont buy a new one, there are plenty of them on adverts.ie. They are around the same size, c7 has clearer and brighter screen. Better camera, much better battery, more memory 8 gig. Hold out til you have a few more quid and get c7

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

MJ23 wrote: »
    i had one for about 2 weeks. Sold it. Its an alright phone. I added a few quid and got a Nokia c7. Dont be fooled by iphone. Just because nearly everyone has one doesnt mean they are the best. The c7 is much better phone than Samsung ace. Just look up comparisons of the 2. Dont buy a new one, there are plenty of them on adverts.ie. They are around the same size, c7 has clearer and brighter screen. Better camera, much better battery, more memory 8 gig. Hold out til you have a few more quid and get c7

sounds good alrite, I have an Nokia N8 but symbian OS is so far behind android and IOS along with the app store, very little apps on Nokia ovi apps, there is a fantastic camera on it and is solid as hell but, it's a bit limited i think, Iphone has it's limits too i know but i just think the screen is pretty sharp, S2 would be my prefered but there to expensive without a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

you're going to change from a Nokia n8 to a galaxy ace?

thats what i was thinkin, it's startin to act up cos i think it got wet one of the days i was working outside, keeps freezin on things and drops call quiet often, want to get an android phone but don't want to spend big bucks either!! such a dilemma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why dont ya try your luck with this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E900-Optimus-Windows-Mobile/dp/B004O6MJ32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317157381&sr=8-1

LG Optimus 7. Lots of boardsies have it here. Very few complaints about it :)

Plenty of apps. Fast and stable and slick OS. Mango only got launched today and its bring tons more features.

I dont think the Ace is worth it when you can get something high end for around the same money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Why dont ya try your luck with this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E900-Optimus-Windows-Mobile/dp/B004O6MJ32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317157381&sr=8-1

Plenty of apps. Fast and stable and slick OS. Mango only got launched today and its bring tons more features.

I dont think the Ace is worth it when you can get something high end for around the same money

Great phone and only 180 euro's on this link:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-E900-OPTIMUS-7-WINDOWS-PHONE-7-BLACK-5M-KAMERA-HANDY-/190575150976?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%252BP%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D200625220083%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3083706572968383513

yeah looks decent phone alrite but not mad on goin for a windows phone, i would prefer an android phone, i wonder will they be puttin gingerbread on to the ace or will it always be froid or can it be upgraded

biffontour wrote: »
    yeah looks decent phone alrite but not mad on goin for a windows phone, i would prefer an android phone, i wonder will they be puttin gingerbread on to the ace or will it always be froid or can it be upgraded

The one thing about the ace is it has a low screen resolution. 320×480 is low for todays phones. Pop into a shop and have a look and compare it to another Android phone with a 480x800 res, there's a big difference when it comes to internet browsing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I had a N8 it got stolen I replaced it with the Ace to keep the costs down till something better comes along. Its a very nice phone I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 on it and its very smooth I find it fast enough and well able to handle what I use it for anyway. Apart from the screen and the camera I prefer it to the N8. Only one complaint every so often it turns itself off which is very annoying not sure if its just my phone or a known bug.

• Advertisement

I had a N8 it got stolen I replaced it with the Ace to keep the costs down till something better comes along. Its a very nice phone I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 on it and its very smooth I find it fast enough and well able to handle what I use it for anyway. Apart from the screen and the camera I prefer it to the N8. Only one complaint every so often it turns itself off which is very annoying not sure if its just my phone or a known bug.

did it come with gingerbread on it or did you upload it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

biffontour wrote: »

did it come with gingerbread on it or did you upload it yourself?

i put it on myself but I believe its available now for official update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Merch wrote: »
    Was going to go for the ACE, now thinking of not, will compare the features online with the ACE

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3532&idPhone2=3724

The LG Optimus 7 is the better of the 2 phones. If you are unsure of the new Windows OS, just google for reviews of the new Windows Phone Mango update thats just come out. There all very positive

http://gizmodo.com/5844315/windows-phone-75-review-second-best-isnt-half-bad
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/windows-phone-7-5-mango-review/

AntiVirus wrote: »
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3532&idPhone2=3724

The LG Optimus 7 is the better of the 2 phones. If you are unsure of the new Windows OS, just google for reviews of the new Windows Phone Mango update thats just come out. There all very positive

http://gizmodo.com/5844315/windows-phone-75-review-second-best-isnt-half-bad
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/windows-phone-7-5-mango-review/

The phone looks alright, I wouldn't be familiar (in technical detail) what the difference/advantages are between having a 1GHz processor (obviously more is better, unless it drains the battery) and the chipset? snapdragon? In the case of the phone the standby and talk time are almost half (according to gsm arena) to 3/4 of the Ace.
    Is it the OS thats better,

Also, something I dont know, are there many apps available for a microsoft phone? I'm a bit confused, I read samsung pay Microsoft to use Android, can this phone use android apps in some way (as Android, seems to be all people talk about regarding apps)
    It looks like a nice phone and it works out cheaper from ebay unlocked than an Ace, shop bought here, other than the screen and slightly better processor, whats its advantages? This is my first purchase of a smart phone, so dont know too much about them, but i still prefer to get something that weathers obsolescence a bit better, I dont find in a few months I should have gotten something a bit more if I went for an entry level smartphone.
    opinions?

whats its advantages?

Simple put the LG is the better phone.

As for ghz it doesn't matter with the windows phone as they'll all work extremely well. Buy a cheap windows phone and it will run at the same speed ad the most expensive one as all the current models have the same spec. Ghz matters a lot when it comes to the Android os, buy a cheap android phone and its going to be laggy.

iPhone has the largest app store at the moment, then Android, then Windows Phone. Windows phone is going to have the smallest as its only just one year old but after 1 year the Windows market place has gone from 0 to over 31,000 apps which is faster than Android after its first year.

Your best bet is to go into a store and try out both phone's, checkout the features you'll be using on both phone's and then get which ever phone "you" find is the best.

PS: As for the better screen, that's what you'll be looking at every time you use your phone :D

As for ghz it doesn't matter with the windows phone as they'll all work extremely well. Buy a cheap windows phone and it will run at the same speed ad the most expensive one as all the current models have the same spec. Ghz matters a lot when it comes to the Android os, buy a cheap android phone and its going to be laggy.

iPhone has the largest app store at the moment, then Android, then Windows Phone. Windows phone is going to have the smallest as its only just one year old but after 1 year the Windows market place has gone from 0 to over 31,000 apps which is faster than Android after its first year.

Your best bet is to go into a store and try out both phone's, checkout the features you'll be using on both phone's and then get which ever phone "you" find is the best.

PS: As for the better screen, that's what you'll be looking at every time you use your phone :D

Thanks, I'll have to look and see what places have real phones instead of dummy's, last time I looked was in a meteor shop and the smartphones were mostly locked out, they didnt have the PUK's so I couldn't play with the interface, I'll have to extend the search to other shops/providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks, I'll have to look and see what places have real phones instead of dummy's, last time I looked was in a meteor shop and the smartphones were mostly locked out, they didnt have the PUK's so I couldn't play with the interface, I'll have to extend the search to other shops/providers.

Carphone Warehouse in Henry st have a live demo :) If your around Dublin.

Carphone Warehouse in Henry st have a live demo :) If your around Dublin.

Thanks for that, I'm out Lucan way, dont really like going into town if i can help it, I will try the shops in Liffey valley and see if they have live demo models.
    Im thinking of actually going for the samsung galaxy mini now, its 89 in tesco until the 2nd october (tomorrow) so i've until then to decide. Originally I was holding out till Tescoreleased the Ace soon, but after what I've heard, the Ace doesnt seem to be that good in the screen dept (I know/think the mini isn't even as good as the ace, but still miles ahead of my current replacement phone, which at this stage is doing my nut in).
    I like the look of the LG microsoft phone, but think I'm going to take a wait and see approach as to how the apps work out for microsoft, if i feel the need to upgrade next year then I wont have spent more money on an Ace and ended up replacing it in a short space of time. I kinda prefer the more rectangular shape of the Ace/LG, but maybe? the Mini is a better intro to App capable (smart) phones than either the Ace/LG??
    The samsungs have features I want anyway, such as long standby and talk time (battery life), I'd also ultimately like a phone, MS possibly, that I can open attachments like word (or even excel, am I way asking too much? :)) and be able to edit them, does that even exist?
    opinions?

Office on Windows

You really should have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace before buying it, its cheap for a reason. The screen is going to be crap, 240x320 is about as bad as it gets! :eek:

Samsung Mini = 240 x 320 pixels, 3.14 inches
    Samsung Ace = 320 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches
    LG Optimus 7 = 480 x 800 pixels, 3.8 inches

The LG may be only 180 euros but it will work exactly same and as fast as any 500 euros Windows Phone, no lag at all. A budget Android phone is going to be slow and laggy, a lot of apps wont work properly on it as well. If you want and Android phone but don't have the money for a new high end one, then maybe have a look for some second hand ones.

Go into a shop and try, texting, emailing, dailing and browsing the internet on all of those phones.

• Advertisement

Office on Windows

You really should have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace before buying it, its cheap for a reason. The screen is going to be crap, 240x320 is about as bad as it gets! :eek:

Samsung Mini = 240 x 320 pixels, 3.14 inches
    Samsung Ace = 320 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches
    LG Optimus 7 = 480 x 800 pixels, 3.8 inches

The LG may be only 180 euros but it will work exactly same and as fast as any 500 euros Windows Phone, no lag at all. A budget Android phone is going to be slow and laggy, a lot of apps wont work properly on it as well. If you want and Android phone but don't have the money for a new high end one, then maybe have a look for some second hand ones.

Go into a shop and try, texting, emailing, dailing and browsing the internet on all of those phones.

I may have been granted a reprieve,feels like I dodged a bullet :) I went to two Tesco stores to get the galaxy mini and they had none :) I was going, ah I cant take the phone I have and an entry level android phone will be ok, still my only concern is a windows phone and the number of apps.
    Isnt microsoft teaming up with Nokia now? Im wondering is that going to have an effect on apps? for an MS phone.
    The LG phone looks nice.

For the ebay link above, need to check it again, im assuming it comes with aeuro charger (bit of a pain)

I may have been granted a reprieve,feels like I dodged a bullet :) I went to two Tesco stores to get the galaxy mini and they had none :) I was going, ah I cant take the phone I have and an entry level android phone will be ok, still my only concern is a windows phone and the number of apps.
    Isnt microsoft teaming up with Nokia now? Im wondering is that going to have an effect on apps? for an MS phone.
    The LG phone looks nice.

For the ebay link above, need to check it again, im assuming it comes with aeuro charger (bit of a pain)

You did dodged a bullet with the Mini :D

I wouldn't worry about the app's, the growth rate proves that its doing very well. You can browse the complet market place online and checkout the details on screenshots of every app

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/marketplace

I bought from that link and they send you a charger with the uk/ireland connection.

I'm sold then :) LG here I come

Is the "marketplace" or will it be the only place for apps?? forgive my apparent cluelessness on the subject?

Also this may be an irrational concern but, I've always disliked apple?? just find that they seem to me to have a certain intrusiveness, is it as likely that Microsoft have the same outlook? (for the want of a better word :))

On another note, I saw some stuff in the windows phone site that pointed to developers tools?
    Looking into the future, is there a specific language/coding requirement to write/design apps? or is there a somewhat formal step by step recommended process for creating apps, not necessarily for general release? but say for controlling devices remotely with a phone, for personal interest/tinkering around?
    On the basis that I have no computer language skills, it is just that i read there will be for android anyway a plug and play or grab and drop app development tool (if thats the correct wording) like scratch to create apps.

Merch wrote:
    I'm sold then :) LG here I come
    Is the "marketplace" or will it be the only place for apps?? forgive my apparent cluelessness on the subject?
    The Market place is the only place where you can get apps. You can side load apps if you're phone is unlocked but thats another story.
    Merch wrote:
    Also this may be an irrational concern but, I've always disliked apple?? just find that they seem to me to have a certain intrusiveness, is it as likely that Microsoft have the same outlook? (for the want of a better word :))
    I wouldn't say they're intrusive but everyone has there own opinion.
    Merch wrote:
    On another note, I saw some stuff in the windows phone site that pointed to developers tools?
    Looking into the future, is there a specific language/coding requirement to write/design apps? or is there a somewhat formal step by step recommended process for creating apps, not necessarily for general release? but say for controlling devices remotely with a phone, for personal interest/tinkering around?
    On the basis that I have no computer language skills, it is just that i read there will be for android anyway a plug and play or grab and drop app development tool (if thats the correct wording) like scratch to create apps.
    You can download everything you need to start developing for Windows Phone on the Microsoft website for free, you don't even need a phone as it has a built in emulator to test your apps on.

If you know c# you could write your first Windows app in less than a day, its the easiest of all the mobile phone OS's to program on and the tools avaliable are by far the best. There's a ton of videos for the complete beginner out there, here's one:

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/series/Windows_Phone_7_Development_for_Absolute_Beginners/

Drag and drop app development would be extremely limited in what you could do and there would be no chance in hell you would be able to program a remote control using it. Birthday reminder's, stop watchs and notepad apps.

To write an app your better off spending some time learning how to code and understanding the logic behind the code.

@antivirus, thanks for that
    So C# is a place to start, easiest to write an App, easy to learn?? I suppose thats relative. I will look into learning that, probably through a course, I think I would make more rapid progress in a class/course instead of muddling through something like that on my own with no support (although that can be a great way to learn, i think it can be time consuming) especially as I dont have any programming skills at all.

Regarding the LG, its Strange, I held off for ages thinking the mini wasn't enough and that the Galaxy S2 was too much (in price also) so the Ace seemed like the natural choice for me.
    Few people even kept prodding me to just get it, but I wasn't 100% as i heard the stuff about the screen before, probably also as I was basing it on price too.
    Nearly went for a mini earlier if they had been available and tesco person even said soon as they got them in, they were flying out the door, but still felt i was compromising for price and if i went for the ace compromising for quality.
    That LG looks like it does what it says on the tin, and it seems to have some adherents based on its performance. Glad I held off for the last while and that I came on here and got some good advice.

Advertisement