Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Peaks of Ireland...

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone ever done this particular challenge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Jasus surely someone has gone at this before me?!? The highest mountain in each provence?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Jasus surely someone has gone at this before me?!? The highest mountain in each provence?!?

Never done it but something I'd love to take on. The main thing that would put me off is the fundraising. Having done the Oxfam Trailtrekker last year, I wouldn't fancy going back to the same people looking for money again.

I'd imagine there is also a hell of a lot of time spent sitting/lying/cramping up badly in a car/van!

Looks like great craic in fairness and these things tend to bring the best out of people as a group. As far as I know, the event is very well marshalled and at least one member of the group needs to take a Mountain Navigation Course.

paulocon wrote: »
    The main thing that would put me off is the fundraising.

Fundraising? Can it not just...be done?

I know fellows who have tried it for themselves because they wanted to. Can't remember too much of what they said, apart from the obvious that the last effort was shattering, half asleep sort of stumbling around.

Fundraising? Can it not just...be done?

I know fellows who have tried it for themselves because they wanted to. Can't remember too much of what they said, apart from the obvious that the last effort was shattering, half asleep sort of stumbling around.

Conor,

It can indeed be done and myself and a friend have contemplated doing it.

My point was that what would put me off taking part in the official event is the fundraising. The event itself would most likely be a good laugh, the hard times tend to be great for bonding and provide many moments that you can laugh about afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Conor,

It can indeed be done and myself and a friend have contemplated doing it.

My point was that what would put me off taking part in the official event is the fundraising. The event itself would most likely be a good laugh, the hard times tend to be great for bonding and provide many moments that you can laugh about afterwards!

I think the rest of us are just talking about the challenge of climbing all four peaks, not the Focus Ireland organised event. You can, and many have, just done it - you don't need anyone's permission.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    I think the rest of us are just talking about the challenge of climbing all four peaks, not the Focus Ireland organised event. You can, and many have, just done it - you don't need anyone's permission.

My apologies, I jumped to the conclusion that the original poster was talking about the Focus Ireland challenge.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it unilaterally alright. I've only been up 2 of the '4 peaks' myself, namely Lug and Slieve Donard which are the 2 handy ones. Would be good craic to attempt all 4 together!

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it unilaterally...

Ooeerr missus. Is that like with one hand! ;-)

I have done Mweelrea and Carrauntoohil.

So between us, we have the Four Peaks done!

I'm trying to think who do I know that did it. Wonedring is it Nathan who posts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

OP here, just to clarify, I'm not thinking of any sponsored aspect of this climb, I didn't even know there was one, just wanted to go at the highest mountain in each province, sponsorship would stress me out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I did the sponsored one and the fundraising is indeed a hard part - it works out at around €900 a man so you do need to put in a bit of effort.

Of the five that climbed, only one had any real mountain climbing training (hes in the army, so could probably have done each mountain twice in the time it took the rest of us to do it once).

If you plan on doing it in one weekend you will need a driver who isnt climbing. Carrantuohill is a bitch, was cloudy when we were on it so the marshalls and the fact that we were in a large group came in handy. Mweelrea is hard but achievable and has some awesome scenery - its like something off a discover ireland ad at the top. Slieve donard is much the same - though it was rainy and cloudy when we got to the very top but nice scenery on the way up and its not too difficult a climb. Lugnaquilla is prob even a little harder the slieve donard but not too bad - although by the time you're climbing that the fatigue is catching up on you

If you're planning on doing it on one weekend put in a decent effort on the mountains and dont hang around. There were plenty of companys and stuff doing it (team building etc) who were treating it as a walk in the park. When we were coming back DOWN off carantuohill they were about a third of the way up - sitting around eating sandwiches and that. This means that they ended up spending most of the day on the side of the mountain and still had to come off it in the evening and drive to galway. The longest team took 8 hours to do carauntuohill - it would completely take any fun out of the climb, the drive and the rest of the weekend

Advertisement