Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Cooking Mission - Help Needed!

Options
  • 27-09-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

My oven door has broken, and the landlord says they can't look to fix and/or replace it for 3 weeks! :(

This now means that for 3 weeks I can't use my oven and I have no microwave oven..

So can people help me with ideas for dinners (I'm not a vegetarian or have any special dietary needs) using only the hob, top grill or george foreman...

This might seem silly but it's like the lightbulb went out in my head and all I can think of are spaghetti and curry... Please help. I can't have them for 3 weeks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't honestly think that a separate thread is required for cooking on a hob.

If you take a look around, this forum is full of recipes for you to choose from. Check out the Easy Peasy Recipes thread & also The Cooking Club forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I rarely use my main oven, if only for heating the plates, steralising jam jars and making cakes!

All manners of curries, pastas, risottos, steaks with veg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Do you have a good quality casserole pot that can be used on the hob, or a heavy frying pan with a tight fitting lid.

If so, loads of dishes that you would cook in the oven can be done on the hob with a little adjustment.

Post an example of an oven cooked dish that you like and someone will be able to give you advice on how to adjust it to cook on the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I'm fairly new to cooking so I'll definitely try out that Easy Peasy Recipes.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I would come at this problem from a different direction.

Write to the landlord, explaining, politely, that being without an oven for three or four weeks is unacceptable, and saying that you will get a repairman in, get the job sorted, pay for the repairs, and reduce the next rent payment by that amount. Tell him you will give him two or three days to sort it and then get it done. In my experience, landlords quite like not having to play middleman when it's you that needs to make arrangements with the repairman.

I use the oven a lot - it's particularly good for producing a lower fat version of the traditional breakfast fry. Sausages, rashers, pudding, tomatoes - they all come out of the oven with much less grease.

• Advertisement
Advertisement