Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz (Poundland) Opens today in Blanch...where?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0927/1224304799819.html
    Discount Poundland stores open today as Dealz

CIARÁN HANCOCK, Business Affairs Correspondent

UK DISCOUNT retailer Poundland will open its first two stores in the Republic today at Blanchardstown and in Portlaoise, creating 70 new jobs.

Using the brand name Dealz, the retailer will offer branded and non-branded food, toiletries, stationery and everyday household items at a single price point of €1.49.

Poundland, which is majority owned by private equity group Warburg Pincus, has more than 350 stores in the UK and sells everything for £1. It has about 20 stores in Northern Ireland.

The company will open a 7,000 sq ft store in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and a 6,000sq ft shop in Portlaoise.

It has signed deals with local suppliers including Barry’s Tea, Largo Foods (Tayto crisps), Dale Farm, Ballygarvey eggs and Comerford Cakes, Freshways (a chilled foods arm of Kerry Group) and biscuit maker Jacob Fruitfield.

Poundland’s British stores stock a large variety of well-known brands, including Colgate, Heinz, Kellogg’s, Flora, Disney, Coca-Cola, Kit Kat, Kodak, Domestos and Weight Watchers.

Poundland chief executive Jim McCarthy will attend the opening in Blanchardstown along with Leonard Brassel, who has been hired from Irish retailer Heatons to run the retail operation here.

Poundland intends to open an additional four stores in Ireland by the end of next March as part of an initial €2 million investment here.

In August, The Irish Times revealed that Poundland was set to enter the Irish market. Mr McCarthy expressed the hope that up to 50 Dealz stores would open here in the coming years.

Founded in 1990, Poundland is the biggest single-price discount retailer in Europe. Latest accounts show that Poundland Ltd made a pre-tax profit of £23.4 million on turnover of £509 million in the year to the end of March 2010.

Anyone know where this is in the centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Next to suitco over by new look and next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Guessed it had to be in one of the retail parks..but the West End retail park website doesn't mention it. So Dealz and Lidl in the one retail park? Good for competition, crap for parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'm going to go over today and gorge myself on all the tat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

athtrasna wrote: »
    Guessed it had to be in one of the retail parks..but the West End retail park website doesn't mention it. So Dealz and Lidl in the one retail park? Good for competition, crap for parking!

How is it crap for parking? How much parking spaces do you need ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    How is it crap for parking? How much parking spaces do you need ;)

Of all the retail parks the parking in that one is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have to disagree - never have a problem parking there no matter what day or time I go. You driving a 10 wheeler truck? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Never had trouble getting parking there, but do find that people tend to drive around it like it's a race track!

Nice to see a shop opening up when so many are shutting their doors, hope they are worth the hype they managed to generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Went yesterday, not a great shop IMO. You could probably get a lot of stuff cheaper in Dunnes Tesco etc. Electrical stuff was decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

€1.49 for Kids Halloween costumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Went in today and have to say was well impressed. Everything 1.49.
    I got some CD's, pens and pencils, pet toys and other bits and bobs.

Staff are really friendly. I hope they do well.

Dont understand how someone would have problems parking there though :confused:

Thumbs up from me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Of all the retail parks the access to the parking in that one is the worst.

FYP

I'm going to go tomorrow morning and rifle the place out of cheap batteries and J cloths! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Arciphel wrote: »
    I'm going to go tomorrow morning and rifle the place out of cheap batteries and J cloths! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Ooooh let us know what you buy!

But be careful - the parking is bad and you can probably get most of the stuff cheaper in Dunnes or Tesco ;););););)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Over there today myself, seen a lot of stuff you can get up in Asda for a pound, but that’s been covered already.

Tis handy to have heatons, argos, lidl and now dealz all in five minutes of each other. Loads of great delaz(bad pun), the best before on the food stretches well into 2012, well laid out and plenty of space, watch out for their own brand that’s made to look like named brands.

I’d say it will become another lidl/aldi, people moaning about it and not using, before long it will become a regular for people to shop in.

Got a doggie flea collar for €1.49. Reckon it might take business from surrounding stores including Pet Shop, Halfords, Argos & McQuillans.

Just got out after queueing at check out for 15 mins. They sell Altoids and Cherry Coke is 4 cans for €1.49!!! I also bought two cat flea collars and a Peppa Pig colouring book. They ate selling Xmas stuff in there too :-/ The populance in there was varied and robust to say the least. Dealz indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Never had a prob getting parking there...ever!
    Got a doggie flea collar for €1.49. Reckon it might take business from surrounding stores including Pet Shop, Halfords, Argos & McQuillans.
    No chance. Popped in there yesterday....its a GINORMOUS Poundshop basically. Most things are €1.49 (such a weird price). I walked around,picked up a few things...but put them back as i wasnt sure they were actual "dealz" :D Boots do the body/haircare just as cheap.

If you're a pet owner, dont go near the "flea collars or drops"....they dont work. Trust me on that one.

Nothing made me go "WOW!" about this shop...which is really surprising for such a massive spot in Blanch! Its a "Meh!" from me...and i love a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The flea collars just detract the fleas away from the neck area, they'll still be on the body if your dog gets them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Went in earlier at 4pm. Never had to drive around west end for a parking spot before, packed. Shop is ok, you'll pick up something. Its like a poundstore only price is euro 1.49 ? as earlier post said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yes, its pound world branded for the euro zone.

Ala Iceland, they have taken the £1 equals €1.50 conversion, but I’m sure someone will say the cost of rent/staff/vat/transport etc is more than the UK/North!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Was in there the other day and delighted to see a 2l semi skimmed milk for 99c - its 1.49 in Aldi, Lidl and Dunnes. Thought it was great for stationary etc. Parking was not as issue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm dying to check this out.

Big huge junk shop sounds right up my street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

canihave wrote: »
    Was in there the other day and delighted to see a 2l semi skimmed milk for 99c - its 1.49 in Aldi, Lidl and Dunnes. Thought it was great for stationary etc. Parking was not as issue

They do 3l of milk for €1.49 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

How did I miss that?? Thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I bought a pack of Sony batteries in there, put them into my camera only to get a 'battery low' message before it cut out completely.. I'm guessing they're out of date or something..

Just a heads up.

The polaroid batteries in the €2 shop in the centre are a lot better ;)

xzanti wrote: »
    I bought a pack of Sony batteries in there, put them into my camera only to get a 'battery low' message before it cut out completely.. I'm guessing they're out of date or something..

Just a heads up.

Well that's no good :(

Did you bring them back for a refund?

Bag of six bird fat balls is 1.49, cheaper in lidl this week 1.20 I think.
    Bird seed is decent quality though.

Advertisement