Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thompson Modem Wireless Issue

• 27-09-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just got the 50MB broadband package from UPC and im having serious problem with wireless internet access on the router.
    Basically some wireless devices cannot connect to the internet. They connect to the wireless network fine but cannot connect to the internet. The router does have an internet connection, my directly connected PC and other wireless devices are fine.

Im using WPA2 encryption and im typing the passkey correctly. The router is using the 2.4Ghz band.
    This issue is really strange as our net book, iphone, dell laptop can connect wireless without any problems. However my housemates Toshiba notebook cannot get an internet connection. Also two separate wireless USB adapters cannot get an internet connection.

Now for the even stranger thing. If I connect my wireless USB adapter into my PC I cannot get an internet connection. However if I connect the same adapter into my laptop (disabling the internal wireless card) I can get an internet connection.

Again the passphrase is being entered correctly and I have strong signal in the house.

Any ideas? I really cannot understand what is happening and im beginning to believe there is a fault with the router.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭carveone

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum dedicated to this thing. We have one in the house and the wireless seems very touchy. Ok, it sucks. I logged into the router (192.168.1.1) and set (Wireless: Basic) the channel from Auto to 11. At least that stops the thing from jumping channel every 5 mins (which drops your connection).

You might have to download inSSIDer and do a scan to see which channels are the most free. Given the number of wireless routers out there blasting crap at full power, this might be a problem even then. This laptop sees 7 UPC routers, 2 eircom ones (still on WEP) and an NTL.

Some people have given up and used a netopia router instead, configuring the UPC Cisco as as bridge - ie: it just copies packets back and forth to the Netopia which does the biz instead...

It just occurred to me that a bridge config may toast your phone, assuming you have one connected to the UPC router. But there's no reason you have to configure the router as a bridge though. You can connect another router to the first router - after all, that's what routers do, they route! You'd have to change their addresses and stuff though...

I also admit that I haven't read through the sticky thread myself yet, so this may be a solved issue there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

carveone wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that a bridge config may toast your phone, assuming you have one connected to the UPC router. But there's no reason you have to configure the router as a bridge though. You can connect another router to the first router - after all, that's what routers do, they route! You'd have to change their addresses and stuff though...

I also admit that I haven't read through the sticky thread myself yet, so this may be a solved issue there ;)

I think I just might setup another wireless router as a DMZ on the Thompson router. The only problem is I dont want to buy a wireless router. I have contacted UPC on this so we will see what they come back with.

Also is the sticky thread not for the UPC Cisco router, not the Thompson one? or does it matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

carveone wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that a bridge config may toast your phone, assuming you have one connected to the UPC router.

Incorrect. That is only if you enable Bridge mode on the CISCO EPC2425. OP is on the 50Mb connection, so he has the Thomson. There is no bridge mode for the Thomson.
    I think I just might setup another wireless router as a DMZ on the Thompson router. The only problem is I dont want to buy a wireless router. I have contacted UPC on this so we will see what they come back with.

Also is the sticky thread not for the UPC Cisco router, not the Thompson one? or does it matter.

The sticky is for the Cisco. The Thomson is entirely different, and for the most part, is not a hunk of sh!t like the Cisco is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Ok I have tried every channel on the router and everything works on channel 9 (2.4GHz).

This make no sense as inSSID says there are no other interfering networks.

Anyway its working now so im happy.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Incorrect. That is only if you enable Bridge mode on the CISCO EPC2425. OP is on the 50Mb connection, so he has the Thomson. There is no bridge mode for the Thomson.

Whoops! My mistake...

Advertisement