Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions - Kilcock to Dublin

Options
  • 27-09-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey, moving to Kilcock soon, and trying to organise my commute into Dublin (specifically Rathmines).

I know Dublin Bus have stopped serving Kilcock on the 66; and I'm wondering what my best option is.

Option 1: Train from Kilcock to Connolly, bus from Eden Quay to Rathmines

Option 2: Bus Eireann from Kilcock to Connolly, Luas to Ranelagh

Are there any private firms that run a coach service that might be a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

you can get the 14 or 128 to rathmines from outside connolly.

It will cost you a lot less if you can drive/get a lift to Maynooth, then you'll be within the short hop zone.

Does your employer operate the www.taxsaver.ie scheme? That would make it much more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus Eireann route 115 services operate to Kildare Street and St Stephen's Green in the mornings - direct transfer there to 14, 15/a/b, 74/a and 128.

They return from outside Connolly which is linked from Rathmines by the 14 and 128.

As per the previous post you can connect with the 14 and 128 directly outside Connolly (and Tara Street) if you prefer to take the train.

I'm not aware of any private operators on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Option 2: Bus Eireann from Kilcock to Connolly, Luas to Ranelagh
    The red and green Luas lines are not joined. The best connections are via bus or www.dublinbikes.ie

You could get a point to point rail ticket with a bus add-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

Thanks for all the assistance. The plan now is to get into Maynooth in the morning, and use a short-hop ticket to get the train to Connolly and then the bus to Rathmines. €123 a month. It'd be daylight robbery, except the clocks are going back soon.

I'll make sure to keep Dublinbikes in mind for the days I'm not feeling lazy.

As stated above - if your employer offers the taxsaver scheme you could make massive savings on that ticket price.

20% Tax Rate - Save €38 per month
    41% Tax Rate - Save €64 per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

Victor wrote: »
    The red and green Luas lines are not joined. The best connections are via bus or www.dublinbikes.ie

You could get a point to point rail ticket with a bus add-on.
    Getting the bus from Connolly to Rathmines seems like the best option. But my worry is how long it would take to get across town early in the morning. Dublin Bus says that the 122 from Amiens Street to Rathmines takes 55 minutes. I'd be faster walking if this is true.

Getting the bus from Connolly to Rathmines seems like the best option. But my worry is how long it would take to get across town early in the morning. Dublin Bus says that the 122 from Amiens Street to Rathmines takes 55 minutes. I'd be faster walking if this is true.

I suspect you have your numbers mixed up - the 122 does not do that trip. I've also no idea where you are getting 55 minutes from?

It takes 20 minutes or so to do that trip on the 14 or 128.

Advertisement