Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better safe than sorry: gearing up for icy roads

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Well, I'm gearin up meself, I bought a Cheap BMW And I plan on gettin some snow chains, Fun Fun Fun, til I bury it in a ditch somewhere and have to walk home in the cold :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dunnes Stores selling ice cleats for shoes €15 a pair.

Here's a tip folks-don't let snow build up outside your homes before trying to clear it,sweep it away asap to make life easier for yourselves.

The blizzard for October is nonsense,check the weather forum,the highlands in Scotland could get snow but that's not unusual at the time of year,November could be another story.

Can't believe I'm typing this when the forecast this week is for warm weather.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

What about using sea sand for de-icing?

patff wrote: »
    What about using sea sand for de-icing?

You're not allowed to remove sand from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

zerks wrote: »
    You're not allowed to remove sand from the coast.

True, but you can buy sand from Kilmore that's taken from the land side of The Burrow. It's removed legally and you can buy a ton bag for €20. Essentially it's sea sand, and I'm wondering if it's an effective de-icer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Well, I'm gearin up meself, I bought a Cheap BMW And I plan on gettin some snow chains, Fun Fun Fun, til I bury it in a ditch somewhere and have to walk home in the cold :D:D:D

If you are actually serious about the bolded, I'd suggest you take a good look at the winter tyres thread in the motors forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Nah, if I had good tyres I'd end up Miles away from home before she went in the ditch ;)

Might even put her on racing slicks, that should keep me this side of Cullenstown:D:D:D

Seriously tho, I have some Off road hotrod Wheels, So I'd probably just use them. the idea is mainly to have some fun out in the fields if theres snow on the ground.

patff wrote: »
    True, but you can buy sand from Kilmore that's taken from the land side of The Burrow. It's removed legally and you can buy a ton bag for €20. Essentially it's sea sand, and I'm wondering if it's an effective de-icer.

No good if the sand has had the salt washed out of it,you might use it for traction but thats it and it'll be no use if we get 2 foot of snow.

Cheap dishwasher salt is brilliant for icy footpaths. (salt is useless on snow-use it only on ice)

Advertisement