Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Windows 7 to stream wirelessly to Xbox? Let me know your setup.

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I've just built a new PC and as part of this, tried yet again to connect my XBox 360 wirelessly as an extender to Windows Media Center (the XBox is connected by wire to the router). The setup runs fine, but after that, I get an unresponsive menu and subsequent connection failure. The PC is within line-of-sight of the wireless router, so I don't think this is the issue.

My setup is a Linksys WRT54G router, with a Linksys Wireless-N PC Adapter with Dual Band WMP600N card in the PC.

For those of you out there who have their media PC connected wirelessly, can you tell me what router and wireless card you are using?

Thanks in advance,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Got a lot of media?
    If you do, Media Center gets very unresponsive.
    TVersity works fine for me, although its not as nice.
    Windows 7 PC connected wirelessly to cheap Belkin router (Belkin F5D7634 Wireless G ADSL 2+ Modem Router) using a Belkin wireless G USB stick. This also worked using a BT Voyager router.
    360 connected to router via ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

This has been a common issue over the years. The problem occurs if you try and connect your PC wirelessly to the router but have your Xbox wired.

Easiest way to solve this issue is to use homeplugs, preferably 200Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

mcgovern wrote: »
    Got a lot of media?
    If you do, Media Center gets very unresponsive.

I initially tried it (new PC build) with a limited set of media to rule this out; still had the same problem.

Looks like I'll have to go the Powerline route. I was hoping that if people could confirm a Wireless-N network was a solution, I'd go for that instead,

Cheers,

P.

I don't think anyone really knows what's causes it. I've read loads of threads about it over the years and never seen a proper answer/solution.

I do know that's it's not necessarily the router causing the problem. It's something to do with the Windows operating system not recognising extenders when they are wired into the router when the oprating system is connected wirelessly.

Don't get me wrong, it will work sometimes but there's no guarantee or piece of mind with it. I went down the powerline route earlier this year and haven't looked back since.

As for the size of the media slowing down WMC, I've got a 2TB drive nearly full and after the initial indexing which was slow, I find it works very quickly now and without issues.

Don't get me wrong, it will work sometimes but there's no guarantee or piece of mind with it. I went down the powerline route earlier this year and haven't looked back since.

Any particular model that you use?

P.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    Any particular model that you use?

P.

I went for Devolo 200Mbps. I've four of them postioned around the house including one wireless one.

I went for Devolo 200Mbps. I've four of them postioned around the house including one wireless one.

Thanks - that does seem like an elegant solution, combining powerline and Wireless-N...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I went for the Devolo in the end, this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00472MMC6/ref=oss_product

Not the cheapest option but it gets 57 reviews, overwhelmingly positive. Fingers crossed I've no more XBox woes.

P.

Advertisement