Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWTOR EU Servers to be located in Ireland

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out. Ireland, as a country, is upgrading its internet infrastructure for our game. Which is a big damn deal, right? I had a conversation with the guy who's doing the server build a few months ago. They were talking about the fact that if you look at the gap in time between when we were guessing to launch and then when we were starting to do our servers, because you're obviously locking down the server hardware and what you need to buy and everything else. The time between that point and launch is so small that we are ramping up and buying hardware faster than any tech project ever. Faster than Google. Faster than Facebook. And this is what we're hearing from the server guys who are working on it, they're like, "This is unprecedented scaling you're talking about." So when you combine that and you go to the Irish government or whoever it is who runs internet in Ireland, and you say, "Hey, look at the bandwidth requirements of our game." And they're like, "Uhm, we might need to get something bigger than a T1 line." So they are literally upgrading the internet infrastructure of the country itself. Which I think is damn cool. And then the US servers are going to be on east coast and west coast. So it doesn't really matter where. Any major metropolitan city in that case is going to be fine.
    SWTOR.com thread link

Obviously it's great news for anyone in Ireland (and for Ireland in general with regard to the national IT development aim) and aside from a few nagging voices in the main thread most people seem to be getting pretty decent pings to Dublin and Galway from all over Europe.

Fellow boardies thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Hmm interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

as long as its not in limerick. our servers over here are all haywire or something.

how much will ping really matter though in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Do they even have electricity in Galway?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The servers will be in Dublin, with the CS centre in Galway, is what I saw. Which means super amazing ping for us!

Edit: yeah, it was that interview, got slightly shaved:
    SR: I'm going to tell you where the European servers are, but you're not allowed to freak out. The European servers are going to be located in Ireland, in Dublin.

DE: Don't tell them the address, they'll go now. Mission impossible.

SR: And here's the reason you're not allowed to freak out...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Stev_o wrote: »
    Do they even have electricity in Galway?

:p

*SLOW CLAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Indeed, I'm looking forward to the rage claims that Ireland's servers give us an unfair advantage in PvP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll probably still have higher pings with UPC then people in Europe do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Dublin.. officially the silicon valley of europe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As far as I know GOA also had the Warhammer servers located in Dublin. Never heard anyone complain about the ping response.. plenty of moans about everything else, but the ping time was fine ;)

Welease wrote: »
    As far as I know GOA also had the Warhammer servers located in Dublin. Never heard anyone complain about the ping response.. plenty of moans about everything else, but the ping time was fine ;)
    Seriously? I always heard they were in France given GOA was a division of the France Telecom.

@Kilith: Just got a ping of 15ms with UPC so I'm not complaining. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Hehe, they didnt mention that eircom are hosting them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Seriously? I always heard they were in France given GOA was a division of the France Telecom.

@Kilith: Just got a ping of 15ms with UPC so I'm not complaining. :D

Opps actually I just rechecked, and I was wong.. apologies..

GOA relocated their customer support divisions across to Dublin, but kept the servers in Lille..
    http://www.thedigitalhub.com/article.php?id=216

I wonder if gPotato have any servers based in Ireland? Seems most are in California..

Lister1 wrote: »
    Hehe, they didnt mention that eircom are hosting them!:D

I hope to God you're joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

Well no, office was in Dublin but servers were in Paris suburb and north of France where all French servers are mainly located.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I hope to God you're joking.

Well, I'm not 100% sure but I do know they bid for them and have been trying very hard to get an anchor tennant for Clonsilla hosting centre so would have been doing their upmost to win this one. It would also tie in nicley with the comments quoted by the OP in stating that the country has been upgrading its network to facilitate this.

I'm genuinely not sure how to feel about that, if only because I've never liked Eircom as a company.

Advertisement