Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home on holidays / for a birthday / anniversary etc. AAGGHH!!!

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

What really gets my goat is, there you are like reading the City Tribune and its usually in the Rahoon/Newcastle/Shantalla section when you read;

"Home on holidays from cricklewood / luton / birmingham / huddersfield or other Paddy exile place etc. is (insert auld schtock Galway name here e.g. Martneen etc.). He was looking forward to catching up with all his old friends of the aul schtock where they reminisced about the great days of (usually St. Michaels) and the 50 goals he scored in the 1943 club county final minor championship. A great night and sing song was had by all in Cooke's Thatch bar / Kelehans Bushypark / The River Inn etc.

Who gives a monkeys??? Why is this news? Are people really that desperate for publicity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

scholar007 wrote: »
    What really gets my goat is, there you are like reading the City Tribune and its usually in the Rahoon/Newcastle/Shantalla section when you read;

"Home on holidays from cricklewood / luton / birmingham / huddersfield or other Paddy exile place etc. is (insert auld schtock Galway name here e.g. Martneen etc.). He was looking forward to catching up with all his old friends of the aul schtock where they reminisced about the great days of (usually St. Michaels) and the 50 goals he scored in the 1943 club county final minor championship. A great night and sing song was had by all in Cooke's Thatch bar / Kelehans Bushypark / The River Inn etc.

Who gives a monkeys??? Why is this news? Are people really that desperate for publicity?
    It's a local paper, there's only so much "actual" news you can put in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The stuff in those local news pages is all submitted by locals. The paper wouldn't print it if it didn't sel papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Ahh man...it's great.

You should ask them for a job at the Tribune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LuckyMary13

So funny! I think it's cute though and I'm sure a lot of elderly people reading it really appreciate it. They've probably been reading the paper all their years and know the people mentioned.

If it annoys you that much, why don't you buy the national papers instead, and leave the local news to the locals? Or just read the main news and ignore all the 'Rahoon/Shantalla/Bushypark' sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you are buying the paper then just accept its in that section or skip the section. There is obviously some interest in it and i strongly doubt these people are doing it for self promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No one under 60 is intended to read that's. That's for the oldies to spot the people they went to school with etc out enjoying bingo nights and social services funded outings.

The front pages are for the younger demographic where we get news of people we were scared of in school being incarcerated for drunk driving and public indecency etc.

It's the paper with something for everyone!Stop your grumbling!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like reading those local papers sometimes. It reminds me of growing up when everyone knew everyone else's business "when this was all fields".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

biko wrote: »
    everyone knew everyone else's business.

Galway can be still like that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Galway can be still like that unfortunately.

Depends where you are living in fairness and the level of you own interest in everyone elses business.
    And a little of it is no harm to anyone, if anything it's a good thing.

Advertisement