Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford council Backs Norris

• 27-09-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭

Good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Good.

Now the people of Ireland can vote on who they want, and the more choices the merrier.

Edit: If he gets into the race in the end I should say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wit_less

I agree. Let the electorate decide.

Did it go to a vote?

If so, who voted for/against?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Don't know who voted what but Damien Tiernan tweeted that
    Damien Tiernan: Norris got 6 votes, 3 against, 5 abstentions

One Cllr never turned up.

EDIT: Damien Tiernan tweeted now:
    the three cllrs who voted against Norris in Waterford were FG cllrs Tom Cunningham, Hilary Quinlan and John Cummins. Jim D'Arcy abstained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm just back from attending this as member of joe public. Never been to a council meeting before, interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

How come it mainly seems to be FG cllrs that are voting against? less competition for Gay Mitchell?

• Advertisement

Seems like it, his posters are already littering the Cork road this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

AndyKiely wrote: »
    Don't know who voted what but Damien Tiernan tweeted that
    Damien Tiernan: Norris got 6 votes, 3 against, 5 abstentions

One Cllr never turned up.

EDIT: Damien Tiernan tweeted now:
    the three cllrs who voted against Norris in Waterford were FG cllrs Tom Cunningham, Hilary Quinlan and John Cummins. Jim D'Arcy abstained
    which cllr didn't turn up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I can't remember cos I'd not be familiar with most of their names but it was announced that he was away on holidays hence his reason for not being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah place looks horrible already, bang on 30 days before the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bad.
    When he becomes president he won't keep his mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sean Gallagher has said he will not be using road side posters as he thinks they are littering the country. Talking sense in fairness, they should be banned.

I will be giving him my number 1 as he is the only fella with a bit cop-on, knows about the real world, is an entrepreneur and is not a politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Nolanger wrote: »
    Bad.
    When he becomes president he won't keep his mouth shut.

You mean he'll actually do his job?
    SACREBLEU

The man is a menace and his hard working ways must be stopped.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Sean Gallagher has said he will not be using road side posters as he thinks they are littering the country. Talking sense in fairness, they should be banned.
    Sounds dodgy to me. Does he say he won't use billboards, flyers, or normal posters? If doesn't use anything like that then I'll agree they are littering the country and he made a good decision. Otherwise he's just being sly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Personally I do not want a homosexual representing this country
    as a head of state. A f**king joke of a nomination & candidate!

This thread just went up about 3 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I take it from that you dont want to see him taken up the Aras.

Personally I do not want a homosexual representing this country as a head of state. A f**king joke of a nomination & candidate!
    I'll bite, what is it about him being a homosexual that you think is a "****ing joke" of a nomination and candidate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I will be giving him my number 1 as he is the only fella with a bit cop-on, knows about the real world, is an entrepreneur and is not a politician.

If Sean had the money I can guarantee that he would be using posters! Fact is, he realises he hadn't got a chance and doesn't want to throw money down the drain. The no poster campaign is merely a means of getting some publicity to try and make up for not having posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I agree with that

Up to last year he was in Fianna Fáil (the kiss of death).

There I was thinking that bigotry had gone all subtle these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Let me guess, your a Dana fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Waterford council Backs Norris

WOAH WOAH! hold up a second!! Are we talking about Chuck or David here??

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

How come it mainly seems to be FG cllrs that are voting against? less competition for Gay Mitchell?

Indeed. Direct order from Enda.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    If Sean had the money I can guarantee that he would be using posters! Fact is, he realises he hadn't got a chance and doesn't want to throw money down the drain. The no poster campaign is merely a means of getting some publicity to try and make up for not having posters.

afaik candidates can claim back up to €200,000 from the state so I doubt this is his reason. Agree with a previous poster (pardon the pun) that these posters should be banned.

I'll bite, what is it about him being a homosexual that you think is a "****ing joke" of a nomination and candidate?

You are mixing my words Mitch!
    Personally I don't think a man of that ilk should be an elected representative of my country. I feel that it's another
    'lets try to be different' routine to make homosexuality more
    acceptable in our society. I think Norris is a caricature of a
    candidate, a jester in the court!

'There is something rotton in the state of Denmark' ''Hamlet''

wit_less wrote: »
    There I was thinking that bigotry had gone all subtle these days...

I'm not a bigot! I just can't abide effeminate guys & butch women!

That's what you would call black & white but then you'ld probably

call me a racist! You just can't win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKrMbM0K6E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Wow some interesting comments just thrown out there.... I'm gona sit back here and watch this little can of worms open up!

Glyons...what a first post! Unreal. There are no words. SMH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

I'm not a bigot! I just can't abide effeminate guys & butch women!

Bigot:a person intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;especially: one who regards or treats the members of group with hatred nd intolerance.

I was going to vote for Michael D but because of people like you, I think I'll vote for Norris now. We need Norris in the Aras to counteract the vile prejudice and bigotry I thought was largely marginalised in our society.

I bet you start half of your arguments with : "I'm not a racist,but....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Jack Walsh as he's on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

The truth of what Norris said in that interview

Aras hopeful says he has been misinterpreted, but his 2002 interview set out views that went far beyond endorsing ‘classical paedophilia’
    • On child sexual abuse: ‘Children in some instances are more damaged by the condemnation than the experience’
    • Asked if incest was acceptable, he said there was a case to ban it... but only for girls who might have an ‘undesirable’ pregnancy
    • On paedophilia: ‘There’s a lot of nonsense about paedophilia... I think there is a complete and utter hysteria about this subject’
    • Challenged on whether a child can give ‘informed consent’ to sex: ‘The law should take into account consent rather than age’
    full article
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394458/Sex-abuse-survivor-My-anger-Senator-David-Norris-disturbing-views-paedophilia.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

UNBELIEVABLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

200motels wrote: »
    Jack Walsh as he's on holidays.

Since 2005

UNBELIEVABLE

Another one from the pink flag brigade!

Get over it! This is after all a democracy we live in & if

I want to express my right I most certainly shall.

You can't walk or go anywhere without seeing one

with his effeminate voice or her butch & blonde haircut.

Adolf had the right agenda!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ban the troll!

Another one from the pink flag brigade!

You can't walk or go anywhere without seeing one

with his effeminate voice or her butch & blonde haircut.

Adolf had the right agenda!!!!

One good thing about having Norris in the race is that it encourages some bigots like this guy to show their true colours.

This kind of talk will serve to encourage middle-of-the-road people to vote for Norris. Me included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Wheras I disagree with the sentiment expressed by Silly Mc Carthy, he should be allowed express it,I would rather know who my enemy was than hom skulking in the shadows.
    BUT I think he has welts on the back of his knuckles.

• Advertisement

wit_less wrote: »
    One good thing about having Norris in the race is that it encourages some bigots like this guy to show their true colours.

This kind of talk will serve to encourage middle-of-the-road people to vote for Norris. Me included.

You penned your name well Wit Less!

I ask if this is the amount of consideration that you are going
    to put in to whom you shall consider casting your vote for,
    well I ask should we even bother have an election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

The plank grilling Norris on rte 1 as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

You penned your name well Wit Less!

I ask if this is the amount of consideration that you are going
    to put in to whom you shall consider casting your vote for,
    well I ask should we even bother have an election?

The irony of you basing your moniker on another homosexual is not lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ok, SillyMcCarthy is banned so people can move past that.

One thing to make clear: Homophobic and rascist comments are not tolerated anywhere on boards.ie, so please don't think you'll get away with expressing those views on the forum.

Anymore homophobic comments will earn people a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Before i post, i want to get one thing straight, i don't intend any homophobic comment, and i'm not homophobic.

Right, while SillyMcCarthy was a bit too blatent about his dislike for Norris, he had a point about people who will be voting for Norris just because of his sexual preference. If thats what people are placing their vote on, i believe it's wrong.

Going by the last post on Page 2, i wouldn't vote for him as he seems to be leaning towards (imo) a very liberal view on incest and paedophilia, but i stand to be corrected. Then again, i don't even know if i'll vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I personally think its great if the Irish people can vote in someone regardless if they are gay or straight. The only thing I dislike about Norris are those letters and his own beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sully wrote: »
    I personally think its great if the Irish people can vote in someone regardless if they are gay or straight. The only thing I dislike about Norris are those letters and his own beliefs.

I 100% agree with this, IMO anyway in this day and age someones sexuality should be viewed as the same as if someone prefers blondes to redheads IE it shouldn't matter a wink. I'm saddened that views like sillymccarthy are still out there TBH.

Having said that, I'm not going to vote for Norris either I was 100% supporting him till the letters emerged. I haven't a clue who I'm going to vote for now. I don't like Sean Gallaher and the less I say about Dana the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dustin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Was going put Higgins first on the Ballot but after reading/hearing comments such as the ones expressed in this thread, I think I'm going to put Norris as my number 1 simply to troll all the conservanuts in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Totally agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

letsbet wrote: »

afaik candidates can claim back up to €200,000 from the state so I doubt this is his reason. Agree with a previous poster (pardon the pun) that these posters should be banned.
    They need to reach a certain percentage of the quota to be able to claim expenses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

People often wonder why the country is the way it is. They moan about the shower in government (not just the current, but the Fianna Fail & Co for many years before) and complain about how they want REAL change etc. Yet, time after time I see the most weirdest of voting reasons and I have came to the conclusion that most people vote half blind and half stupid.

To vote for a candidate purely because he got a rough time by opposition or media is pathetic and crazy. "I'm voting X because of what everyone is saying. Its to spite the begrudging going on". Then when the country continues going down the tube the same people moan and complain.

You get what you voted for. You need to vote for a candidate that will represent Ireland at home and abroad well. Someone who has a good image and could carry such an image onwards.

The presidential candidate might be a hopeless case and utterly pointless waste of money (with barely any powers and just being a figure head like the Taoiseach) but at the end of the day we are electing someone who will represent Ireland abroad. Whether it be UK, Australia, Germany, France, India or Japan. This person is the symbol and Representative of Ireland.

Party policy and plans make no difference - if Mitchell or Higgins are elected they wont exactly be a supporting hand to the government as he can do feck all. Both are very solid candidates and have no seriously dodgy past or beliefs that would add dirt to our shiny image of Ireland. Mitchel served as TD, Minister and MEP in Europe. Higgins also has a depth of political experience in Ireland serving as a Minister, TD and Senator. Both candidates have a lot more to their name which makes them very credible, regardless of their party.

McGuiness and Sinn Fein are a very low support base because of their very dodgy war ridden and very recent (probably some might say even to this day) past. McGuiness was one of these people and clearly proved he has barley any grasp of the Irish Republic (interview on TodayFM proved this) but is a big name for the party. He was a former member of IRA and fought on the streets of Derry. Oddly, while he was shooting his gun in the streets he never managed to kill anybody directly or indirectly (terrible aim :p). For someone and a party anti EU/UK/the Queen who all of a sudden said he would now embrace her for a second visit if president. My arse. Dodgy as **** past, a senior war head figure in a party that is still haunted by its past here in the Republic. Not a suitable candidate for the presidency, and would make us a laughing stock and look very odd.

Dana was never really taken seriously and in most elections didn't get very far. Seems to be a bit anti-Europe which might make things a bit awkward especially for referendums. She seems to just purely want to run for election mostly. I fail to see how she is a suitable candidate.

Norris past and beliefs is a huge black mark and no-no for me. Not releasing the full letters looks a bit strange considering the contents of the first. Now that he is in the race, he is a closed book on the subject. Further discourages me from giving him a vote. Being gay makes no difference but the subject is an obsession with people.

Gallagher seems like a small fish in a big pond making a huge leap. With hardly any political experience, I cant see how he would make such a good candidate for the job. Being Fianna Fail makes no odds for this election really.

Davis has a bit of experience behind her at home and abroad, would be a better fit candidate than Gallagher but third in the ranks for me.

This election has only three people who could carry out such a task, in my view, for Ireland. Norris for me is a no, leaving just two.

letsbet wrote: »

Unless I missed the memo, my understanding was that Enda ordered the party not to endorse any other candidate and to support Gay Mitchell only (after all - this is their candidate and this is the person they want elected). He never instructed them to vote against anybody and in most votes they abstained.

The message that went out, and was confirmed by the director of elections Phil Hogan, was that FG councilors were free to abstain or to vote against candidates if they wished to. Richard Bruton confirmed same also.

Afaik the same call was given to Labour until yesterday when Higgins said (at the last minute mind) that they shouldn't block Norris. Even in Waterford, the Labour mayor said his loyalties lie with Higgins as their party candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Sully wrote: »
    People often wonder why the country is the way it is. They moan about the shower in government (not just the current, but the Fianna Fail & Co for many years before) and complain about how they want REAL change etc. Yet, time after time I see the most weirdest of voting reasons and I have came to the conclusion that most people vote half blind and half stupid.

To vote for a candidate purely because he got a rough time by opposition or media is pathetic and crazy. "I'm voting X because of what everyone is saying. Its to spite the begrudging going on". Then when the country continues going down the tube the same people moan and complain.

You get what you voted for. You need to vote for a candidate that will represent Ireland at home and abroad well. Someone who has a good image and could carry such an image onwards.

The presidential candidate might be a hopeless case and utterly pointless waste of money (with barely any powers and just being a figure head like the Taoiseach) but at the end of the day we are electing someone who will represent Ireland abroad. Whether it be UK, Australia, Germany, France, India or Japan. This person is the symbol and Representative of Ireland.

Party policy and plans make no difference - if Mitchell or Higgins are elected they wont exactly be a supporting hand to the government as he can do feck all. Both are very solid candidates and have no seriously dodgy past or beliefs that would add dirt to our shiny image of Ireland. Mitchel served as TD, Minister and MEP in Europe. Higgins also has a depth of political experience in Ireland serving as a Minister, TD and Senator. Both candidates have a lot more to their name which makes them very credible, regardless of their party.

McGuiness and Sinn Fein are a very low support base because of their very dodgy war ridden and very recent (probably some might say even to this day) past. McGuiness was one of these people and clearly proved he has barley any grasp of the Irish Republic (interview on TodayFM proved this) but is a big name for the party. He was a former member of IRA and fought on the streets of Derry. Oddly, while he was shooting his gun in the streets he never managed to kill anybody directly or indirectly (terrible aim :p). For someone and a party anti EU/UK/the Queen who all of a sudden said he would now embrace her for a second visit if president. My arse. Dodgy as **** past, a senior war head figure in a party that is still haunted by its past here in the Republic. Not a suitable candidate for the presidency, and would make us a laughing stock and look very odd.

Dana was never really taken seriously and in most elections didn't get very far. Seems to be a bit anti-Europe which might make things a bit awkward especially for referendums. She seems to just purely want to run for election mostly. I fail to see how she is a suitable candidate.

Norris past and beliefs is a huge black mark and no-no for me. Not releasing the full letters looks a bit strange considering the contents of the first. Now that he is in the race, he is a closed book on the subject. Further discourages me from giving him a vote. Being gay makes no difference but the subject is an obsession with people.

Gallagher seems like a small fish in a big pond making a huge leap. With hardly any political experience, I cant see how he would make such a good candidate for the job. Being Fianna Fail makes no odds for this election really.

Davis has a bit of experience behind her at home and abroad, would be a better fit candidate than Gallagher but third in the ranks for me.

This election has only three people who could carry out such a task, in my view, for Ireland. Norris for me is a no, leaving just two.

Excellent post. Pretty much sums up my own thoughts exactly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Winning the last General Election hasn't done the FG coffers any harm anyway, judging by the number of Gay Mitchell posters that have sprung up on the ring road.

Here's another take on what's wrong in Ireland, and the cheerleading media who simply regurgitate the elite's claim that "we all partied":

http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/2011/09/remember-that-statement-how-during-the-boom-years-we-all-partied-as-a-nation-remember-those-prescriptions-how.html

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
Advertisement