Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford council Backs Norris

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So no posters from Gallagher, shame about the rubbish he left on every car windsceen in the city last weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

AdMMM wrote: »
    They need to reach a certain percentage of the quota to be able to claim expenses.

Yeah. 12.5% of the vote may be beyond SG alright I suppose but I doubt that's his reason for not putting up the posters. Not that I'd vote for him or anything but it's nice to see someone not putting up a load of these stupid posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Sully wrote: »
    Unless I missed the memo, my understanding was that Enda ordered the party not to endorse any other candidate and to support Gay Mitchell only (after all - this is their candidate and this is the person they want elected). He never instructed them to vote against anybody and in most votes they abstained.

The message that went out, and was confirmed by the director of elections Phil Hogan, was that FG councilors were free to abstain or to vote against candidates if they wished to. Richard Bruton confirmed same also.

Afaik the same call was given to Labour until yesterday when Higgins said (at the last minute mind) that they shouldn't block Norris. Even in Waterford, the Labour mayor said his loyalties lie with Higgins as their party candidate.

1. Indeed. I was mistaken to say he instructed them to vote against them but telling them to abstain has a similar impact in explaining why the FG lads voted against certain candidates as a small % would have voted against them anyway so that's all that's left of the FG votes after the others abstain and some would take Enda's direction as an implicit directive to vote against the likes of Norris.
    2. I never said that Enda shouldn't have given this directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Mr.Shabby wrote: »
    Bigot:a person intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;especially: one who regards or treats the members of group with hatred nd intolerance.

I was going to vote for Michael D but because of people like you, I think I'll vote for Norris now. We need Norris in the Aras to counteract the vile prejudice and bigotry I thought was largely marginalised in our society.

I bet you start half of your arguments with : "I'm not a racist,but....."

As I was cut off at the pass for the last few days I will endeavour to try to reply to a few nonsensical comments made in regard to my beliefs in regard to this person who purports themselves to be a presidential candidate.

Firstly I am not a bigot! I don't agree or approve of his leanings! This is democracy! I have a right to disagree! I see this person on a local free paper today surrounded by a plethora of what I can only assume to be lesbians! Is this the only vote he can count or depend on? Remember, Ireland isn't very different from the deep south of the USA with it's bible belt & KKK supporters! We're a little city & I cannot imagine this candidate gaining much support from what I shall call the more rural areas of Ireland, the more where the Bull does what the Bull does & not as the candidate would practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Firstly I am not a bigot! I don't agree or approve of his leanings! This is democracy! I have a right to disagree! I see this person on a local free paper today surrounded by a plethora of what I can only assume to be lesbians! Is this the only vote he can count or depend on? Remember, Ireland isn't very different from the deep south of the USA with it's bible belt & KKK supporters! We're a little city & I cannot imagine this candidate gaining much support from what I shall call the more rural areas of Ireland, the more where the Bull does what the Bull does & not as the candidate would practice.
    Wow.

1. What would make you think they're lesbians, and why would it matter?
    2. You just compared Ireland to deep south america, and suggested we have the KKK.....I.....I don't even......

Because I know one of them Mitch! Nice girl.

Well thats fair enough but I don't know where you're pulling the KKK thing out of.

I do sort of see where you're coming from, where the LGBT community could be expected to vote for the gay presidential candidate. The same could be expected for devoutely religious people to vote dor Dana or Mitchell, or for the elderly to vote for Higgins.

You can try and anticipate who select groups are going to vote for, but each person's single choice in the end. You can't let people have their vote, and then blame it on specific reasons when they vote doesn't go they way you wanted.

If you think Norris is a joke of a candidate, then surely the results of the vote will show it. He should still be allowed run, and if he wins he should be allowed take the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Every time I read the title of this thread I keep thinking it says "Waterford Council back Chuck Norris".

If only....

I never said that he shouldn't run Mitch although I still maintain he is a joke of a candidate & with the recent publicity he has gained, I don't think he has the momentum to carry him.

• Advertisement

He won't win now anyway imo. I was gonna vote for him, but after watching the debates and interviews in the last week, I feel like he's just talking ****e.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah Norris campaign is just being hit with revelation after revelation. Seems to have had an impact.

Tbh I'm not even following the different news on him, most of it is overhyped bollocks at this point, just from listening to radio interviews and the TV3 debate has led me to grow tired of him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tbh I'm not even following the different news on him, most of it is overhyped bollocks at this point, just from listening to radio interviews and the TV3 debate has led me to grow tired of him.

Yeah he came across much worse then I expected. Heckling tbh

Sully wrote: »
    Yeah Norris campaign is just being hit with revelation after revelation. Seems to have had an impact.

Should have stayed in the closet!

Should have stayed in the closet!

Give the anti-gay stuff a rest lad, its getting a bit boring at this stage. We all know your not a gay friendly person and don't like Norris because of his sexuality. But a lot of us couldn't give a flying **** if he was gay, straight or a bloody monkey with a crazy eye.

Some of us have the better judgement to make a call based on other factors bar his sexuality.

• Advertisement

I'd just like to say that if a bloody monkey with a crazy eye was running I'd vote purely for the campaign posters.

It was good to see that sense prevailed with the electorate & the

nonsense candidates were shown the door.

Early days yet but it looks like we'll have Michael D. Higgins as

our next President!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I genuinely think that Norris would have strolled into the Presidency had he not have had the skeletons in his closet. Having said that, I like Higgins and I'm delighted Gallagher got found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Thankfully he didn't though. That OTT bluster and bravado has already worn seriously thin with me. The whole shouting out irrelevant quotes thing drove me up the walls!! Glad Higgins got in..far and away the best candidate from the list IMHO

True enough, the couple of debates I saw he didn't come across particularly well. I'm definitely going to shout "here here" after someone makes a good point on a night out though. Everytime he did it without fail I laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

And whilst they are still talking..usually the candidate talking had to make a serious effort to keep going with what they were saying!!

As an aside, I've always wondered is it "here here", "hear hear" or "Hear here"? Off to google i go..

It would appear to be "hear hear"...... I'm not changing my post though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

What a marvellous day for Labour.

A President & another TD elected in Dublin West - the first person elected from a party currently in power in a by election since 1982 !

FG , on the other hand , seem to have got it wrong in candidate selections as they were hammered in both elections.

Advertisement