Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Briarhill RB (Lynch) avoid if possible

Options
  • 27-09-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Will last aprox 10 weeks.
    Workers will not close lanes during peak hours (7am-10am and 4pm-7pm)
    www.galwaycity.ie will update with traffic info.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/260811_02.html

This thread is not about RB pro/cons nor city officials competence, it's to inform commuters.
    Please don't clog it up with too much general chat so people can follow what's going on and if anything changes.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yay, I can't wait!

;)

Well, the bridge-works haven't been too bad with the peak hours unaffected (outside of that first week), so hopefully this will run smoothly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could not understand what they are doing on the Bridge at lunchtime, they are digging up all the new road surface at the lights that they only filled in last week, they have the lights turned off now with a stop go system in operation, its chaotic as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

10 weeks from when? The 26th?

They haven't started yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Could not understand what they are doing on the Bridge at lunchtime, they are digging up all the new road surface at the lights that they only filled in last week, they have the lights turned off now with a stop go system in operation, its chaotic as usual

Probably just a temporary surface they put down for nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

No works have started yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

when are they going to start ? they were busey with cones on friday at briarhill. thought they were getting ready for yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Looks like they were starting this evening when I was coming home at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since they can't close lanes during peak hours they probably waited until rush hour was over.
    Good to know it's on schedule this time, hopefully the 10 weeks will also be on schedule *many fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I've heard the work is due to start in earnest tomorrow, and that traffic in certain directions will be reduced to one lane at off-peak times - no idea of how this will work unfortunately. I did hear that the traffic management plan for the works at this roundabout has only been agreed in the past week, but the contractor is hopeful there won't be too much disruption... here's hoping! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hoody wrote: »
    the contractor is hopeful there won't be too much disruption... here's hoping! :)

Hopefully the corpo had the wit to stipulate night time working on occasion...oh wait!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Nothing happening down there tonight.

Already 2 days behind schedule.

According to the GCC web-site the works will not take place during peak times.

They're supposed to be working in 45 mins so should be there with cones and whatnot right now.
    Did anyone see them at RB this morning yet?

Nothing at 9:10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Traffic disruption is expected at the Lynch Roundabout at Briarhill from next Monday, 3 October, as works begin to replace the roundabout with a signalised traffic junction, as part of the controversial N6 Bothar na dTreabh Multi-Modal Corridor Scheme.

A city council spokesman confirmed that there would not be any lane closures on the approaches to the Lynch Roundabout this week, as works are largely preparatory at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Passed at about 2pm, a few guys were cutting / digging up the shrubs in the center of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Just a thought, with new lights going in on some of the roundabouts, where do all the plants go that are being uprooted,surely they will not be wasted or not put to use on some other council space. After all they must have cost a fair bit of cash to do up these roundabouts with the planting schemes. I would like to think that all the money spent on plants/trees/etc...would not be going to waste...and after all it is the season for transplanting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

There was a gardener lad checking all the plants the last day, looked like he was seeing what could be saved, i dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Much of the driving on that roundabout is beyond redemption, however.

On Sunday I was overtaken, as usual, by a motorist travelling at speed in the left lane, contrary to the signage and the inside lane/right turn rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Surprised this thread has not been more active - are the works not impacting on road users at the minute? Have only been going through it at off peak times. The center of the roundabout is nearly fully removed.

Surprised this thread has not been more active - are the works not impacting on road users at the minute? Have only been going through it at off peak times. The center of the roundabout is nearly fully removed.

There's no change that I have noticed yet, it's still acting as a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

im suprised that there are no accidents cos of drivers looking in the rounabout to see whats what.

Work was going on this (Saturday) afternoon - they seem to have started on some of the lanes into the roundabout. Lots going on.

Got an update for anyone travelling through this one
    Update from Galway City Council: URGENT WORKS UPDATE

There will be major localised disruption to Traffic at Brierhill (Lynch) Roundabout
    for Surfacing Works on the following nights.

" Tonight (Tuesday November 8th) from 8pm until 3am
    " Wednesday November 9th from 8pm until 3am
    " Thursday November 10th from 8pm until 3am
    " Friday November 11th from 8pm until 3am

Motorists are asked to avoid the junction if possible during these hours.
    There will be no access to the N6 from Parkmore. This traffic should divert via the Tuam Road (N17) or via the N18 at Carnmore Cross.
    & Other routes will encounter delays, which may be significant for periods.

Normal Traffic conditions will be in effect from 7am to 7pm.

All efforts shall be made to ensure rapid access for Emergency Services.

There will be major localised disruption to Traffic at Briarhill (Lynch) Roundabout for Surfacing Works on the following nights.

" Tonight (Tuesday November 8th) from 8pm until 3am
    " Wednesday November 9th from 8pm until 3am
    " Thursday November 10th from 8pm until 3am
    " Friday November 11th from 8pm until 3am

Motorists are asked to avoid the junction if possible during these hours.
    Has it worked well so far for commuters?

biko wrote: »
    Has it worked well so far for commuters?

I've had no problem at all. They're doing an excellent job of not causing tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I pass that way each day, and I must say they've noticeably been putting an effort into carrying out the most potentially traffic disrupting work outside of peak traffic hours (night time).
    So far so good, not that I'm looking forward to traffic lights though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I gotta say fair play to the Corpo for biting the bullet and doing most of the disruptive work at night. It has taken a loooooong time for them to cop on...maybe it was the utter chaos they caused around Newcastle in early September that finally made them do the right thing.

I would be happier if they said they wre going to continue with this policy in future and to clearly identify the key cross city routes where night time working will be the norm in future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Chaos today at lunchtime on the good ole bodkin and QB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement