Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Briarhill RB (Lynch) avoid if possible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about Briarhill only.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There was a bit of a backlog yesterday evening after 5 from Parkmore down. It seems to be coming along well this morning as I was coming past.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Traffic on Doughiska Road heading towards Briarhill has been heavy the past few mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It would appear that excrement has finally hit the fan on this one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I hope the mini-merry-go-roundabout it's only temporary. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was in early but the word I would use to describe figuring out how to take the turn as I was approaching is thrilling. I had no idea what direction I should be watching for cars coming. Thankfully I took my seeing none within striking distance to be my cue to go.

What was it like at rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah the mini TWO lane roundabout is really bad, Complete chaos. Should be gone soon, AFAIK only 3 weeks of construction left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

What's causing all the morning tailbacks on the Oranmore bypass? Traffic was backed up from the Martin Roundabout at Roscam, a third of the way back the dual carriageway the past few mornings. I thought it was the road works at Briar hill, but it isn't as the dualer is clear in front of the private Galway clinic.
    Are there roadworks on the Merlin park road?

MargeS wrote: »
    What's causing all the morning tailbacks on the Oranmore bypass? Traffic was backed up from the Martin Roundabout at Roscam, a third of the way back the dual carriageway the past few mornings. I thought it was the road works at Briar hill, but it isn't as the dualer is clear in front of the private Galway clinic.

I would say it's more to do with people avoiding Briarhill because they heard about the road works.

i went through this at midnight last night, with no other cars around. I had the whole thing to myself and I got so confused I had to stop for a few seconds to figure out where I should be going to get on the M6.

They have been doing a good job so far keeping disruption to a minimum, but There's going to be some amount of crashes there this week if they dont get this stage completed soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I would say it's more to do with people avoiding Briarhill because they heard about the road works.
    Also the lights at Rosshill/Dublin road junction seemed to be acting up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Took me 30 mins to get up Doughishka rd as far as Lidl this morning and looking over at the dual carraigeway it was just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

I was in early but the word I would use to describe figuring out how to take the turn as I was approaching is thrilling.

LOL, had the same sensation yesterday evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

MargeS wrote: »

This is probably correct. At around 9am this morning, Dublin road traffic was backed up till (at least) the junction at Roscam/Doughiska. When it gets busy here it causes the Martin roundabout to become blocked, even partially blocking access to the dual carriageway at the Clinic, and thus backing up the Oranmore dual carriageway.

Earlier than 9am it was probably worse again.

No roadworks or similar evident on the journey in the Dublin road, just traffic volume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What on earth are the 'crop circles' painted in the middle of this thing ????? Did some bureaucrat decide it is legally a roundabout and therefore must appear like one or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What on earth are the 'crop circles' painted in the middle of this thing ????? Did some bureaucrat decide it is legally a roundabout and therefore must appear like one or something???

Im guessing temp road markings until the traffic lights are operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is probably correct. At around 9am this morning, Dublin road traffic was backed up till (at least) the junction at Roscam/Doughiska. When it gets busy here it causes the Martin roundabout to become blocked, even partially blocking access to the dual carriageway at the Clinic, and thus backing up the Oranmore dual carriageway.

Earlier than 9am it was probably worse again.

No roadworks or similar evident on the journey in the Dublin road, just traffic volume.

What was worse was the cars backing up and blocking the junction for cars coming from Doughiska and Roscam - jeez people, if the lights are green but you can't get through the junction because the far side is blocked it doesn't mean you can bloody park there for the next 10 mins! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Zzippy wrote: »
    What was worse was the cars backing up and blocking the junction for cars coming from Doughiska and Roscam - jeez people, if the lights are green but you can't get through the junction because the far side is blocked it doesn't mean you can bloody park there for the next 10 mins! :mad:

Any chance of a traffic cop - no they'd be doing their jobs, couldn't have that.

I've said it a few times, if we had a bit of policing of the RABs we wouldn't have to remove them. Now it appears that the same problems are appearing at traffic lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The 50kph speed limit on approaches to this junction are being completely igniored despite enough warning signs. I sincerely hope all those who cannot comply with the speed limit write to their insurer and make them aware they are unable to comply with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I go through this junction every day and up until now it has taken me (from Clarinbridge to Ballybrit)
    Leaving at 8-8.30 = 40 to 50 mins
    Leaving at 9 = 25-30 mins
    Leaving at 9.30-10 = 15-25 mins

The above is approximate, i don't time it exactly (because i would go mental if i did). The works have been managed pretty well i have to say, but it is starting to get worse, today was a bad day. As previous poster it annoys me that people don't slow down on approach as it makes life very dangerous for the workers. It is also pretty confusing going through on the way back at night, its a free-for-all(?)

Will be interesting (relatively speaking) to see where the queues will be with the new junction in place and to compare journey times. That crop circle -good name- is an indication (in my head) that we might get a surprise transformers roundabout/junction that folds in the traffic lights at dusk, turning it back to a gool ol roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is clear speed limit signing, send de members out with their laser to collect some Revenue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

snubbleste wrote: »
    The 50kph speed limit on approaches to this junction are being completely igniored despite enough warning signs. I sincerely hope all those who cannot comply with the speed limit write to their insurer and make them aware they are unable to comply with the law.

I've been guilty of this, but the extent of the speed limit is a bit ridiculous, if coming from the Hogan Motors direction the 50kph limit kicks in the best part of a mile before the junction. A staggered reduction from 100 to 80, 60 and finally 50 kicking in 2-300m from the junction would be much safer and easier to implement, instead of drivers slowing from 100 to 50 in a short distance, miles from any roadworks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Perhaps an obvious place for the Gatso Vans to setup would be on approach's to the junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I must say. I am loving these road works.

Usually it takes me about 25 mins to get home but with everyone avoiding the round about I'm getting home in about 15mins.

update from the council
    Update from Galway City Council

Traffic will be reduced to 1 lane on the approach to the works at Brierhill
    from the Galway Clinic on Thursday November 24th from 10am to 4pm.
    This is to facilitate surfacing preparation works on this approach.

There will be severe disruption at the Brierhill Junction from Monday November
    28th to Thursday December 1st from 7pm to 1am.
    This is to facilitate surfacing of the junction.

Motorists are strongly advised to avoid the junction during these times
    (Particularly those approaching from the Monivea Road approaches).

The junction is still on target to open on Thursday December 8th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Another roundabout is buried, the works are due to finish up this week :confused:
    http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/Briarhill_291111.htm

Next week I think. Say it won't be much longer, seemed fairly close this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been looking for annoucements, but not seen any:

Does anyone know how the number 3 bus is going to turn around once the RAB's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

JustMary wrote: »
    I've been looking for annoucements, but not seen any:

Does anyone know how the number 3 bus is going to turn around once the RAB's gone?

The number 3 bus will continue to the RAB at parkmore industrial estate

• Advertisement

that doesnt show it, but it looked like the were putting a slip lane in from the tom hogan side to the parkmore side. Hard to tell to be honest couldnt take a close look as I was ina rush. I'll look closer tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement