Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Briarhill RB (Lynch) avoid if possible

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JustMary wrote: »
    I've been looking for annoucements, but not seen any:

Does anyone know how the number 3 bus is going to turn around once the RAB's gone?

The roundabout it turns on is still there. It's the one down by Dunnes that's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was shocked to see in the paper last week that it's due to be finished on schedule and under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The roundabout it turns on is still there. It's the one down by Dunnes that's gone.

The roundabout it turns on is the dunnes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The roundabout it turns on is the dunnes one.

Correct. Number 3 turns /turned on Briarhill RAB (RIP). Number 9 on the Parkmore one (still there, and one I'm in favour of, BTW!)

The number 3 bus will continue to the RAB at parkmore industrial estate

Is that right? Have you observed, or seen it published?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

that doesnt show it, but it looked like the were putting a slip lane in from the tom hogan side to the parkmore side. Hard to tell to be honest couldnt take a close look as I was ina rush. I'll look closer tomorrow

Yup, there's going to be 4 lanes coming from that direction, one for left turn to Carnmore/Parkmore, 2 for straight ahead to N6/M6 and one for right turn into Doughiska/Briarhill.

dloob wrote: »
    I was shocked to see in the paper last week that it's due to be finished on schedule and under budget.

Neat trick they've (NRA, govt., CCs) used for a few years now: job should take 8 weeks and cost 0.9 million - tell everyone it will take 10 weeks and cost 1.1 million - when it only takes 9 weeks and costs 1 million everyone will think you're a great lad and you surely deserve that Christmas bonus! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Neat trick they've (NRA, govt., CCs) used for a few years now: job should take 8 weeks and cost 0.9 million - tell everyone it will take 10 weeks and cost 1.1 million - when it only takes 9 weeks and costs 1 million everyone will think you're a great lad and you surely deserve that Christmas bonus! :rolleyes:

This is common practice across almost every sector. It is normal to add a percentage to the time & cost to account for unknown variables.

Considering the amount of variables that can come into play when you start digging into the earth, I think its fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

The number 3 bus will continue to the RAB at parkmore industrial estate

How I hope this is true! Sitting on the no 9 going up the doughiska road in morning with all the traffic is a nightmare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Neat trick they've (NRA, govt., CCs) used for a few years now: job should take 8 weeks and cost 0.9 million - tell everyone it will take 10 weeks and cost 1.1 million - when it only takes 9 weeks and costs 1 million everyone will think you're a great lad and you surely deserve that Christmas bonus! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Didn't work very well on the SQR project :D

Surfacing Works at Brierhill Tuesday December 6th 10am to 4pm
    Due to surfacing works in the middle of the junction, there will be NO RIGHT TURNS at the Brierhill Junction between 10am & 4pm Tuesday 6th December.
    All traffic from Monivea Road EAST & WEST, MUST turn left at the junction.

Traffic from Parkmore (Monivea East) going west or to city centre should use the Tuam Road.
    Traffic from Brierhill Shopping Centre (Monivea West) going east should use the Doughiska Road

183914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

BriArhill!

Is it you (DaCor) or the council spelling it wrong?

• Advertisement

On maps and council documents, I've seen any and all of:

Briar Hill
    Briarhill
    Brier Hill
    Brierhill

I eventually decided that no one really knows.

lol, no not me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    On maps and council documents, I've seen any and all of:

Briar Hill
    Briarhill
    Brier Hill
    Brierhill

It's Briarhill

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's Briarhill

Some of it is. I notice the school call themselves Scoil Mhuire, Brierhill.

*flashbacks to the Rosshill / Roscam debate*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Some of it is. I notice the school call themselves Scoil Mhuire, Brierhill.

*flashbacks to the Rosshill / Roscam debate*

They've changed the spelling so since I left.

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's Briarhill

Sez who?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, stop with the name now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Its opened up now anyone use it yet

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Its opened up now anyone use it yet

Still ballards there this morning. Might give it a whirl after work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya went through an hour ago, very exciting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they did some type of "before test" so we can find out if it's an improvement.

Massive improvement coming from Parkmore. Can't say about any other route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Massive improvement coming from Parkmore. Can't say about any other route though.

Agreed. Hard to believe it really that the day they went live with lights could have such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

NTC wrote: »

Anybody else notice the current road layout and markings i.e the drawings linked by NTC are different from the original submitted plans?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OMG. Three lanes. Makes me feel like I'm in Merica or one of dem places.
    Went through it today but not at a busy time so don't know if it's an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Went through at around 6.15 and flew through. Was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Went through it at about 16.45 coming from Dunnes store/Doughiska side.
    No delay, no hassle.
    Went through it twice later on as well from other directions.
    It's early days yet, but it seems to be working well.
    I think the multiple lanes and two right turns happening simultaneously
    will shift a lot of traffic on each changeover sequence.

I passed through this evening - coming across town and turning right into Dunnes.

We were in the right hand lane and the lights to turn left and go straight ahead went green. The right turn light stayed red but the car ahead of us drove out across the junction.

Luckily it was late and there weren't any oncoming cars otherwise there could have been an accident.

Separately my girlfriend was coming from Parkmore earlier and was going straight on. She was in the correct lane according to the map above but the car in the lane to the right of her went the same way.

Overall I am impressed by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I passed through this evening - coming across town and turning right into Dunnes.

We were in the right hand lane and the lights to turn left and go straight ahead went green. The right turn light stayed red but the car ahead of us drove out across the junction.

Luckily it was late and there weren't any oncoming cars otherwise there could have been an accident.

Separately my girlfriend was coming from Parkmore earlier and was going straight on. She was in the correct lane according to the map above but the car in the lane to the right of her went the same way.

Overall I am impressed by them.

This kind of thing would worry me, if it's a recurring phenomenon.

I'm in favour of the new regime, but the signalised junctions will have to be made as safe as possible. I hope the new AUTC is also used to educate and enforce.

EDIT: I hope the sceptics who vehemently opposed the Briarhill roundabout-to-signals conversion will try out the new junction from various directions and report on their experiences, good, bad or indifferent. I'd like to try it myself, but on a bike, so it'll be a while before I get a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement