Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Briarhill RB (Lynch) avoid if possible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I came from the dual carriageway at around that time and the right hand lane was backed up all the way past the roundablut (where the orad meets the motorway) and the left hand lane flew in without even having to stop once.
    I find it hard to believe that everyone in the right hand lane was turning right on to the Monivea Rd but I was happy enough cruising along! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I got an e-mail friday evening saying,for the traffic lights to work correctly (to reduce the waiting time correctly on each junction exit), the designated company needs to study the traffic flow from each junction for up to 2 weeks to correctly time the traffic flow for each juntion to run smoothly. This was the same practice that was done for the moneenagisha junction and glenina junction traffic light systems.

When the cameras are installed will the people monitoring the junction be working with the Gardai to report dangerous driving? Surely this would be of great importance from a health and safely perspective?

I lived in Lough Atalia when Moneenagisha was put in place. It took a long longer than 2 weeks I'm afraid. Also in my opinion the traffic flow there is still worse than when the roundabout was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

First time using the new junction to go right on the Monivea road this morning. Filters right for monivea\briarhill off the N6 woefully short and the lane to turn right is not nearly long enough. As a results it brings the dual carriage way down to one lane for those trying to go straight through so it severly negates any benefit of putting in lights for people going straight on the dual carriage way.
    wonder how this will effect the park and ride this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

what direction where you heading - parkmore? town ?

Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Town.

i think the lights are there to provide better flow on the N6 into town - it'll stop people heading in by the airport and douigiska (sp??) and then turning towards town by making it slower for rat runs like that

• Advertisement

i think the lights are there to provide better flow on the N6 into town - it'll stop people heading in by the airport and douigiska (sp??) and then turning towards town by making it slower for rat runs like that

Well it was shocking bad this morning. Going at a snails pace from just passed the garage on the Monivea Road.

Gonna try it tomorrow from the dual carriage way side coming from the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I visit Galway for work 1-2 days per week at rush hour from the Oranmore Side and I have been so accustomed now to doing the rat runs that I have seen more of Galway that I ever would have if the Motorway didn't come in by the Clinic.

You cannot even take a short cut through Oranmore now because the whole village becomes a School Car Park. :(

I'm going to continue to work the rat runs until it all settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Excuse the crudeness of the diagram but this is what they should have done here (but wouldn't pay for the land in the early 90s when the road was being planned).

Close off the current Monivea rd entrance/exit and re route the traffic up toward parkmore (around where western motors is), using the road through what is now a business park to connect tot he RAB.

184877.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree 100%.

@JustMary would they have had to get a new licence from the NTA to use the Coolagh Roundabout now? Your going to have update the site: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/3-ballybrit-coming-soon.html
    Great site by the way

Thanks. Yes, I will be updating the map & page very soon.

I don't know if they needed a new licence, or if there's some way to vary the existing one. Or maybe they just ignored the issue.

If I was queen, I'd have sent it into the Briarhill Business Park to turn around - lots of smaller businesses in there that people could get to a lot more easily than at present.

Or if the airport was still open, I'd have extended it out to the airport.

Or made it turn right just before the juction and do a loop up Old Ballybrit Rd - if the buses are able to make that turn .. it may be too tight for them. (Yes, I know that street name may not be correct, it's what google maps i using though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Came from Oranmore down the Monivea Road and it took me 30mins at 7.45 this morning. Normally takes me 15 max. I'll have to try it from the dual carriage way tomorrow. Not impressed.

Its been designed to do that, it is to decrease the queue length on the N6 by making the queues longer on Monivea.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't know if they needed a new licence, or if there's some way to vary the existing one. Or maybe they just ignored the issue.

Dunno about the license, they changed the #3 bus a few times before it settled to it's (now changed) route.
    If I was queen, I'd have sent it into the Briarhill Business Park to turn around - lots of smaller businesses in there that people could get to a lot more easily than at present.

already served by the #9, and in fairness if you're buying anything in there you'll more than likely need the car.
    Or if the airport was still open, I'd have extended it out to the airport.

Out past my gaff - I'll vote for that.
    Or made it turn right just before the juction and do a loop up Old Ballybrit Rd - if the buses are able to make that turn .. it may be too tight for them. (Yes, I know that street name may not be correct, it's what google maps i using though.)

Where the #9 bus turns to get into/out of Doughiska? If so I can't see a problem with that turn. If anything I'd make it turn at the other end of the road (the road beside the now closed McGreals shop) and turn left at the clayton. What would worry me is the road itself. While I haven't been up there in years, it was always a bit narrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Lads are doing U turns on the DC filter light (N6 outbound to N6 inbound) while at the same time there is a filter light allowing cars from briarhill to turn left - there will be a crash sooner rather than later doing this.

I'm a little unclear as to location and direction here.

Could it mean, for example, that motorists are exiting the service station beside Tom Hogan Motors, going up the DC to the Briarhill junction, and then doing a u-turn to head back towards the Ballybane/city direction?

Obviously motorists were never able to turn right out of Hogan Motors across the DC, but they were able to go up to the roundabout and go right around to head back towards town.

I can see how a signalised junction removes that particular option, but there are still at least two ways to get back into the city, eg right at Briarhill to return via the Old Monivea Road (or whatever it's called) or left through Parkmore and back via the Tuam Road.

Unless I am misunderstanding you altogether, it appears these u-turners are insisting on travelling the way they formerly did on the roundabout, even if it means doing dangerous manoeuvres such as what you are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There is nothing stopping those who need to do a U-Turn from just going to M6 roundabout instead. Doing a U-turn at the new junction is just stupidity and indicative of the usual idiotic driving seen regularly around galway.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    the Old Monivea Road or left through Parkmore and back via the Tuam Road.

FYP

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23179-motorists-urged-utilise-all-lanes-city-junction
    Drivers need to familiarise themselves with the new lane design at the Briarhill junction in the city.

That's according to Joe Tansey from Galway's Transportation Unit, following complaints from motorists over the past few days.

You could start with putting up signs that should have been up before the junction was opened.

is it contra charter to insult this person?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Are such u-turns a significant issue though? Significant enough to factor into the junction design?

Agreed but they now appear to be a safety issue judging by one ot two posts which is what I thought might happen although I didn't see anything myself. If I reading this right, this option will be removed at more than one junction.

My original point though was that there never seems to be the possibility of minor change to improve a situation before the major. Look at the thermo king/Mervue junction outbound. When will we ever see 2 (or even 3) lanes to allow traffic to turn into Mervue without blocking others. It would have been nice to see this approach at BriarHill, before a committment to remove a raft of RBs

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I came from the dual carriageway at around that time and the right hand lane was backed up all the way past the roundablut (where the orad meets the motorway) and the left hand lane flew in without even having to stop once.
    I find it hard to believe that everyone in the right hand lane was turning right on to the Monivea Rd but I was happy enough cruising along! :)

We were all turning right, although the lights were letting a max of 4 cars go, once every 3 minutes. Couldn't believe it as I flew through on Friday, they must have changed the sequence over the weekend, from one that worked pretty well I thought, to one that didn't.

I guarantee you they will stick with the latter.

Went from the motorway today from Oranmore onto the dual carriage way and got in in 13mins.

Will be going that way in future.

Right lane seemed to move a lot quicker than the left this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

I'm a little unclear as to location and direction here.

Could it mean, for example, that motorists are exiting the service station beside Tom Hogan Motors, going up the DC to the Briarhill junction, and then doing a u-turn to head back towards the Ballybane/city direction?

Correct.

there are 'no u turn signs' up now across the junctions

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Went from the motorway today from Oranmore onto the dual carriage way and got in in 13mins.

Will be going that way in future.

Right lane seemed to move a lot quicker than the left this morning.

They changed the sequencing today. It's green for 20seconds instead of the 8 they had going on yesterday apparently.

• Advertisement

Correct.

there are 'no u turn signs' up now across the junctions

I would imagine that the number of motorists choosing to enter those premises (Tony Burke Motors and the service station) and intending to head back towards town within a short time period must be only a small proportion of the total traffic passing through the area.

The removal of the roundabout may be an inconvenience for this minority, but they still have other options, so they should be hammered for trying to do u-turns, IMO. Rigorous enforcement and maybe even a few convictions might quickly put a stop to this obnoxious and dangerous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

Of course with all these new improvements to the traffic system at Briarhill it's great to see that the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh etc can now be subjected to double time length journeys to work in the morning, that their school children are now arriving late to school, the school buses (paid for, not free as some might think) are delayed by fifteen minutes arriving and oh, don't forget the wonderful illuminated Park & Ride advertising sign that has been plonked right where the school bus is supposed to pull in and means that the children being deposited there now have to walk out onto the road to get on the bus, when it eventually arrives. :rolleyes: But if it helps the drivers coming in from Oranmore well then it's all worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

woidoi wrote: »
    the wonderful illuminated Park & Ride advertising sign that has been plonked right where the school bus is supposed to pull in and means that the children being deposited there now have to walk out onto the road to get on the bus.

Did you call the garda or the council and complain about this?

If the bus-stop isn't marked, then perhaps the people positioning the sign didn't know about it - rememmber that the council have no say in the positioning of bus-stops.

If the bus-stop isn't marked, then perhaps the people positioning the sign didn't know about it - rememmber that the council have no say in the positioning of bus-stops.

The school bus in question is a country school bus not a scheduled BE service, as such the stops aren't marked with signs. AFAIK there are no rural school bus stops inside the city boundry (i.e after the turn to Parkmore rd), so they shouldn't have a say in the matter

Do the city council have planning permission to put signs up on this road (which is in the county council area)?

Of course with all these new improvements to the traffic system at Briarhill it's great to see that the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh etc can now be subjected to double time length journeys to work in the morning, that their school children are now arriving late to school, the school buses (paid for, not free as some might think) are delayed by fifteen minutes arriving and oh, don't forget the wonderful illuminated Park & Ride advertising sign that has been plonked right where the school bus is supposed to pull in and means that the children being deposited there now have to walk out onto the road to get on the bus, when it eventually arrives. :rolleyes: But if it helps the drivers coming in from Oranmore well then it's all worth it.

Quick question: doubled from what to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The traffic lights from ballybrit sid,e coming out onto the oranmore road were red for ages today, then once they went green the ones where the roundabout was were red, then they went green and then red again before I got through.

Did you call the garda or the council and complain about this?

They used to put that sign across the footway and "cycle path".

Quick question: doubled from what to what?

Since we're gone back to 2009 (i.e. pre motorway opening, which took a fair bit off this road) traffic we're talking 5-10 minutes from Ballintemple to the school (depending on timing of the lights in parkmore).

antoobrien wrote: »
    Since we're gone back to 2009 (i.e. pre motorway opening, which took a fair bit off this road) traffic we're talking 5-10 minutes from Ballintemple to the school (depending on timing of the lights in parkmore).

That particular journey is now taking 5-10 minutes by car?

Or it now takes 5-10 minutes longer by car?

If the latter, what was the journey time by car when the roundabout was there?

By the way, what's the approximate distance in km from Ballintemple to the school?

EDIT: What school are we talking about? (Apologies for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get a handle on the new situation.)

Of course with all these new improvements to the traffic system at Briarhill it's great to see that the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh etc can now be subjected to double time length journeys to work in the morning, that their school children are now arriving late to school, the school buses are delayed by fifteen minutes arriving

As for the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh who are now subjected to "double time length journeys to work", how long did it take them to get to work when the roundabout was in place?

• Advertisement

That particular journey is now taking 5-10 minutes by car?

Or it now takes 5-10 minutes longer by car?

If the latter, what was the journey time by car when the roundabout was there?

By the way, what's the approximate distance in km from Ballintemple to the school?

EDIT: What school are we talking about? (Apologies for all the questions, but I'm just trying to get a handle on the new situation.)

As for the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh who are now subjected to "double time length journeys to work", how long did it take them to get to work when the roundabout was in place?

It's pretty apparent that you have next to no knowledge of the area and the traffic flows, especially considering you deleted a post last week asking where monviea was (here's a hint it's called the monivea road for a reason, just like the n17 is called the tuam road).

If you have to ask the question highlighted wtf are you doing telling us what's best to do for this junction?

The distance from the Ballintemple village road to Briarhill school is 500m.

For your information, the traffic has been bad on this road for well over 10 years. When I was cycling to college (I started way back in 98, just as car ownership was reallying picking up) there were tailbacks of over 2km from the RAB at about 8.30am. It used to tail past carnmore cross, though this isn't as common since the motorway opened.

In the city council survey done for the "smarter travel" document (before the motorway was opened in 2009) the AADT was nearly 10,000. The NRA standards indicate that capacity for a single carriageway road is 11,000.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement