Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Briarhill RB (Lynch) avoid if possible

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

antoobrien wrote: »
    5-10 minutes from Ballintemple to the school

woidoi wrote: »
    Of course with all these new improvements to the traffic system at Briarhill it's great to see that the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh etc can now be subjected to double time length journeys to work in the morning, that their school children are now arriving late to school, the school buses are delayed by fifteen minutes arriving

The distance from the Ballintemple village road to Briarhill school is 500m.

So we're talking here about people driving 500 metres?

Is the school bus available for pupils living that 'far' away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    So we're talking here about people driving 500 metres?

Nothing wrong with that, especially if they're continuing their journey on to work or elsewhere.

I saw another one last night - coming from town out the dual carriageway.

The lights to turn left went green straight on and right stayed red. Someone waiting to go straight ahead drove out through the red light and had to brake hard when cars started coming out from the Monivea road.

All the cars stopped and the car that broke the lights drove on across them.

churchview wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that, especially if they're continuing their journey on to work or elsewhere.

Am I getting this right? What we have here is a situation in which people driving their children 500 metres to school are complaining that their 500 metre drive is now taking twice as long?

As in, driving half a kilometre used to take a few minutes and now it takes a few minutes more?

500 metres is about a 5-minute walk. Or has that changed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Am I getting this right? What we have here is a situation in which people driving their children 500 metres to school are complaining that their 500 metre drive is now taking twice as long?

As in, driving half a kilometre used to take a few minutes and now it takes a few minutes more?

500 metres is about a 5-minute walk. Or has that changed too?

So if they're continuing on past the school, should they walk back the 500 metres, collect the car, and then drive to work? Or should they walk the whole way to work or wherever they're going?

Walking and cycling isn't always the solution.

• Advertisement

For a 500 metre school run, I would suggest two possible options (there may be others):

(a) Let the children walk to school. If they're old enough, they can walk on their own, ie without their parents. The school could also organise a walking bus or something along those lines.

(b) If the parents really absolutely totally must drive, head out a few minutes earlier to cope with that diabolical doubling of the time it takes to drive the 500 metres to the school. Perhaps the timing of the school bus could also be changed accordingly.

churchview wrote: »
    Or should they walk the whole way to work or wherever they're going?

Depends on where they work. It was earlier claimed that "the local inhabitants of Briarhill, Ballintemple and Brockagh [are now] subjected to double time length journeys to work". What was their journey time (and distance) when the roundabout was in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

For a 500 metre school run, I would suggest two possible options (there may be others):

(a) Let the children walk to school. If they're old enough, they can walk on their own, ie without their parents. The school could also organise a walking bus or something along those lines.

High horses and practicality don't mix, so get off it and learn a bit about the area.

There are very few people on the Monivea rd with kids young enough to go to the school. they'ye all down the village (where it's very unsafe to walk or cycle) or in the coolugh, parkmore, ballybrit, bruckey, killtullagh and doughiska (afaik the new school in doughiska is opening one class at a time) areas.

High horses and practicality don't mix, so get off it and learn a bit about the area.

There are very few people on the Monivea rd with kids young enough to go to the school. they'ye all down the village (where it's very unsafe to walk or cycle) or in the coolugh, parkmore, ballybrit, bruckey, killtullagh and doughiska (afaik the new school in doughiska is opening one class at a time) areas.

The context of this is complaints about the new junction "doubling" journey times to the school and elsewhere.

If the original distances and journey times were not massive, then an alleged doubling is hardly massive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The context of this is complaints about the new junction "doubling" journey times to the school and elsewhere.

If the original distances and journey times were not massive, then an alleged doubling is hardly massive either.

I asked you a question earlier - given your clear lack of knowledge of the area what gives you the right to tell me what is or isn't reasonable about travel times from my home

btb as you (should) well know distances and travel times are two things are are only loosely related in galway.

Given that you don't know anything about where people are traveling from or to on this road it your opinions on the distances and timings are totally irrelevant, as are your opinions on the safety of a junction you don't use nearly every time you leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iwannahurl et al, this thread isn't about judging people for driving certain distances or the traffic situation in general. It was created to inform commuters about the RB works.
    Now that the work is done I don't see a reason to let this descend into another slagging match about traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

(Moderator you can add this to the Briarhill post and close it again if you want)

Seeing as the other thread is now closed (and no harm) I just wanted to clarify what school bus I was talking about! (sorry I don't spend all my time on the computer, so missed the reaction!)

Contrary to the high horse people who felt that I was talking about a bus to bring children 500 yards to the junior school, I'm talking about the bus that picks up the secondary school children (teenagers) and brings them to The Bish, The Jez, Taylors and Salerno at the last stop. The nearest scheduled bus service is Parkmore, a good service but driving to there is not an option for me and about twenty other families and that road is far too dangerous for kids to walk along. And before someone says why don't you send them local, there is no local secondary school. The nearest is probably Oranmore and they don't have the capacity to take all the children from the outskirts of the city.

Secondly regarding travel to work times it would have taken me on average ten minutes to drive from my front door to the old roundabout. From there it was ten to fifteen minutes to work. Now it takes me about twenty to twenty five minutes to get to the new traffic lights, about the same thereafter.

Today funnily enough the traffic was a little smoother flowing so maybe they are improving the mix of lights. They need to get it sorted out in the next week or so because then the schools will be off and their averages will be off!

Adieu!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would be confident that it will be sorted out by the time they get back to School after Xmas. It can take about two weeks to sort out the right sequence for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks OP.

Once the Briarhill lights have been calibrated and traffic flow has stabilised, in January/February, if it's still causing issues then a thread can be started again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement