Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulch or stones?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I am putting down a shrubbery, approximate area is 33mx7m. My house is situated on the side of a wide shallow valley overlooking a lake and is consistently windy, often severely so. I have a few trees that are distinctly worse for wear because of this. The shrubbery is on a steep bank, approx 45 degrees.

Would the wind be a serious problem if I put down mulch? Would it get blown all over the place? I don't really want to go with stones as the drive, which goes around the house, has stones and I think this might be too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

shayser wrote: »
    I am putting down a shrubbery, approximate area is 33mx7m. My house is situated on the side of a wide shallow valley overlooking a lake and is consistently windy, often severely so. I have a few trees that are distinctly worse for wear because of this. The shrubbery is on a steep bank, approx 45 degrees.

Would the wind be a serious problem if I put down mulch? Would it get blown all over the place? I don't really want to go with stones as the drive, which goes around the house, has stones and I think this might be too much.

Sounds like you have a very interesting and attractive setting. I presume the reason you are considering mulch/stones is to suppress weed growth? The gradient would certainly be an issue for mulch. Although stone would more likely remain in-situ, it would significantly compromise the overall look, the shrub selection would also have to take account of the stone dressing, last thing you would want is a lot of deciduous shrubs spoiling the stone dressing. You would quickly lose the effectiveness of the stone.

An alternative approach would be to consider a wider variety of shrubs but utilising shrubs with good ground cover growth characteristics. Even planting extra shrubs would be more effective (weed control and cost) with the more significant advantage of reducing the maintenance needs.

I would encourage you to consider to use a wide selection of shrubs (evergreen & deciduous shrubs, as well a selection of herbaceous plants) and to create a more naturalised planting scheme which would be sympathetic and complement the natural surroundings.

At the bottom of the embankment you could consider using small trees and small shrubs with higher ornamental characteristics and mulching this area ie the last 2-3 metres. A bark mulch dressing here would look more natural, certainly less harsh than stones, more attractive and easy to maintain until the shrubs etc develop to provide a natural barrier and restrict any weed growth etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Nothing wrong in putting down bark mulch.Personaly,I think its better than stones and pebles/pea gravel

Its much more natural,kinder to the enviroment and blends in very well with the land and plants.It also softens up the land where theres driveways,especially if its graveled or block pavers

My girlfriend did this recently with our garden and many other gardens.Various plants,flowers and trees with Mypex weed barrier and bark mulch installed aswell.Shes a fully qualified professional horticulturalist too.

The finished garden worked out a treat.

Advertisement