Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle Insurance Against Theft.

• 27-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any insurance company they can recommend for insurance against theft, crowd i have house insurance with "QUINN" ha wont accept bikes, i know their is cyclesure but is,nt it only accidents on bikes they cover,any info on no hassle companies would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Does anyone know of any insurance company they can recommend for insurance against theft, crowd i have house insurance with "QUINN" ha wont accept bikes, i know their is cyclesure but is,nt it only accidents on bikes they cover,any info on no hassle companies would be appreciated, thanks.

Cyclesure cover it, or you can get a quote on www.chill.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is difficult to get cost effective standalone insurance against bicycle theft.

Once you take into account the premiums, excesses and limits, you would almost need your bike nicked every year to justify it, and then your premiums will go up anyway. I've done the maths several times with different insurers and it never works out.

You'd be better off investing the money in good locks, use them correctly and be careful where you leave the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

It is difficult to get cost effective standalone insurance against bicycle theft.

Once you take into account the premiums, excesses and limits, you would almost need your bike nicked every year to justify it, and then your premiums will go up anyway. I've done the maths several times with different insurers and it never works out.

Do many boardsies adopt this attitude to bike insurance i am currently looking to insure bike against theft also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You can also ask to have an item named specifically on your house/contents insurance. Much stricter T&C's there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    You'd be better off investing the money in good locks, use them correctly and be careful where you leave the bike.
    Also, you could consider putting what you would spend on insurance into a dedicated savings account, so you build up the price of a replacement bike. You might well get a good bit along the way to the replacement price before your bike is stolen. And no haggling with or being let down by the insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm currently planning on getting a cargo bike once I can save for it, I'm not however liking the idea that I'll have to fork out the guts of €200pa for insurance. There's the idea that cargo bikes are still too unique for them to be much of a target but I'll need accident insurance on it anyway, and it's not something I'll be able to afford to replace in the short or medium term if it gets heavily damaged or stolen.

Are cyclesure.ie good? Anybody have any experience with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I priced it for all my bikes. It's not even close to worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Raam wrote: »

I did the same with my normal bike which only worth €5-600 new, and was thinking the same.

Maybe once I get enough in my cargo bike fund to buy one, I'll slowly put money away in the cargo bike insurance fund -- the other half won't be too impressed with this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Raam wrote: »

Same here - and I've only got 2 and one is quite cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

My commuter bike was nicked a few weeks ago. I didn't have it named on the house insurance so didn't bother lodging a claim. The policy has just come up for renewal and I noticed that there was automatic cover up the €300 for bikes and accessories. My yoke, along with the rack and pannier that was taken with it, wouldn't have been worth much more than this so I thought I might have been on to a good thing.

However, the policy excess is €125 and there is a 20% no claims discount on my renewal premium. Effectively, I'd be claiming for bugger all. There's no such thing as free bike insurance.

So I too would also suggest investing in good locks and putting away a few quid if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

My commuter bike was nicked a few weeks ago. I didn't have it named on the house insurance so didn't bother lodging a claim. The policy has just come up for renewal and I noticed that there was automatic cover up the €300 for bikes and accessories. My yoke, along with the rack and pannier that was taken with it, wouldn't have been worth much more than this so I thought I might have been on to a good thing.

However, the policy excess is €125 and there is a 20% no claims discount on my renewal premium. Effectively, I'd be claiming for bugger all. There's no such thing as free bike insurance.

So I too would also suggest investing in good locks and putting away a few quid if you need to.

Pm to discuss this further mwp if you want some advice. I work in insurance.

Offer only to you cos I know ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭deckie27

Allianz will insure on home policy. costs about 5% of the value of the bike

Advertisement